Bicycling Off-Road

Levi

Re: Bicycling Off-Road
« Reply #580 on: 8 Sep 2010, 12:19 pm »
Yeah Phil, I haven't ridden my Merlin in a month or two.  Having my road bike fitted me like a glove, I noticed how different my Mountain Bike setup is.  It only took less than a mile to get back into the groove.  :)

I was thinking about the 29er wheel.  They do have an advantage in rolling over rocks and the angle of approach but it is still up to the rider to navigate the large rocks.  ;)

JoshK

« Reply #581 on: 8 Sep 2010, 01:16 pm »
I've been the opposite.  Haven't ridden my Road bike in 3 or 4 weeks.  I just hate fighting my way through traffic.   There is just no real good roads to do during the week around here except to navigate city traffic.    Weekends are for off-road.

cornelius

« Reply #582 on: 8 Sep 2010, 04:00 pm »
Yes.  I have been there last year when they have the Bike Festival.  It is easy to get lost but I always remembered where the railroad tracks were relative to the water. :)  Beautiful place indeed!

You're right, it is easy to get lost there! 
That was the first trail that I tried my 29er on...

JoshK

« Reply #583 on: 4 Oct 2010, 02:38 pm »
Did anyone catch the MTB world championship at Quebec this weekend on TV?  I happened to get back from riding on Saturday and was flipping channels and saw it.   That XC course looked brutally slippery.  Lots of wipeouts.

This MTB'g hobby hasn't left me much time for my DIY hobby, but that is ok, this is better for my health.  Lately I haven't really obsessed about audio at all and actually find myself getting bored with some of the topics.   I have been listening to music, but just as my system stands.

Josh

Levi

« Reply #584 on: 4 Oct 2010, 03:12 pm »
I have it recorded in my DVR somewhere.  I watched Road World Championships: Road Race Men's Elite:  From Melbourne, Australia.  Thor won with his Cervelo bike.  :thumb:  Likewise with cyclocross races which is catching up here in US. :) 

UniSport ch 176 (Time Warner Cable)

PhilNYC

« Reply #585 on: 10 Oct 2010, 03:56 pm »
My new ride (Thanks Tone Depth for the awesome wheels!)

Independent Fabrication Ti Deluxe
SRAM X0 2x10 (39/26...11-36), including Truvativ X0 crank
Avid CR Elixir disc brakes
Fox Forx F80 RLT suspension fork
Crank Brothers Eggbeater SL pedals
Wheels by TONE DEPTH:
- Chris King Iso Disc hubs
- Stan's Arch Rims
- Wheelsmith DB14 spokes
Thomson Elite Seatpost
Crank Brothers Cobalt 11 (carbon) flat handlebars
Schwalbe Nobby Nic tires (tubeless)

Saddle and stem are temporary until adjustments can be made.

jackman

« Reply #586 on: 10 Oct 2010, 07:33 pm »
Congrats on the beautiful new ride. I love IF and hope to own one of their bikes one of these days. More pictures please!

Levi

« Reply #587 on: 10 Oct 2010, 08:01 pm »
Nice bike spec Phil. 

I see you went with a 2x10.  Anyway, how do you like the hydraulic brakes disc brakes?!? :)

What can I say, it is race ready!  :thumb: 

Congrats!

PhilNYC

« Reply #588 on: 10 Oct 2010, 09:01 pm »
Here's another pic...got it dirty!

A closer look at TONE DEPTH's handywork...

Re: hydraulic brakes...I can stop now! :duh:

LadyDog

« Reply #589 on: 11 Oct 2010, 02:59 am »
Sweet ride Phil.  The more dirt the better.  Enjoy!

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #590 on: 11 Oct 2010, 07:53 pm »
Phil, I'm glad to hear you like riding your new wheels, and on such a classy new bike!  If anyone else is in need of a mountain bike custom wheel set, or a road bike custom wheel set, feel free to PM me.

My new ride (Thanks Tone Depth for the awesome wheels!)

Independent Fabrication Ti Deluxe
SRAM X0 2x10 (39/26...11-36), including Truvativ X0 crank
Avid CR Elixir disc brakes
Fox Forx F80 RLT suspension fork
Crank Brothers Eggbeater SL pedals
Wheels by TONE DEPTH:
- Chris King Iso Disc hubs
- Stan's Arch Rims
- Wheelsmith DB14 spokes
Thomson Elite Seatpost
Crank Brothers Cobalt 11 (carbon) flat handlebars
Schwalbe Nobby Nic tires (tubeless)

Saddle and stem are temporary until adjustments can be made.

baumer

« Reply #591 on: 11 Oct 2010, 08:10 pm »
Nice ride Phil! Are you running a Thomson post on that? I really dig the wheels too. I went tubeless this year and love the feel of them, and no more flats as well (so far).

Have you ever thought about cutting off the extra bit of threads sticking out of your rear skewer?

Doug

baumer

« Reply #592 on: 11 Oct 2010, 08:13 pm »
Oops, just saw that it is a Thomson!  :duh:

Levi

« Reply #593 on: 11 Oct 2010, 09:38 pm »
Thanks for the plug Tone. I happened to love I9 wheelset. I love so much I have 2 sets. LOL!

Phil, I'm glad to hear you like riding your new wheels, and on such a classy new bike!  If anyone else is in need of a mountain bike custom wheel set, or a road bike custom wheel set, feel free to PM me.

PhilNYC

« Reply #594 on: 11 Oct 2010, 11:47 pm »
Nice ride Phil! Are you running a Thomson post on that? I really dig the wheels too. I went tubeless this year and love the feel of them, and no more flats as well (so far).

Have you ever thought about cutting off the extra bit of threads sticking out of your rear skewer?

Doug

Yep..it's a Thomson Elite post.  And I'm going to get a Thomson X4 stem...the stem that's on there is a loaner from my LBS (Tenafly Bicycle Workshop...great guys! http://www.bicycleworkshop.com) they let me use to see what length/rise might work well for me. 

And thanks for pointing out the skewer length...will have the shop cut it...

baumer

« Reply #595 on: 12 Oct 2010, 02:15 pm »
I've always been a bit anal about having things match. I need the seatpost and stem to match, or the stem and handlebars. Just my own bit of OCD I guess!

The Thomson s.p. and stem will look great together. But more importantly they are bombproof!  It's nice that the shop lets you test out stems to get the right size. I guess when you're putting down some serious coin for an IF Ti frame the customer service aspect should follow suit.

Levi

« Reply #596 on: 12 Oct 2010, 02:29 pm »
That is a personal preference thing. 

Normally you match the color of the handle bar grips with the color of your seats.  Then Seatpost and Stem.  Also, Skewers to wheels.

Finally but not ultimately, color of Jersey/shorts/shoes to helmet and bike. :)

Again, it is personal preference.  But surely, they do look good when properly matched.

I've always been a bit anal about having things match. I need the seatpost and stem to match, or the stem and handlebars. Just my own bit of OCD I guess!

The Thomson s.p. and stem will look great together. But more importantly they are bombproof!  It's nice that the shop lets you test out stems to get the right size. I guess when you're putting down some serious coin for an IF Ti frame the customer service aspect should follow suit.

Levi

« Reply #597 on: 12 Oct 2010, 02:40 pm »
The color scheme is more critical in road bikes but equally important if you have mtb aswell.  LOL.   :thumb:

Merlin XLM

Note the tinker bell (my most recent upgrade)  :lol:

Clean bike

baumer

« Reply #598 on: 12 Oct 2010, 02:56 pm »
Very nice Levi! Maybe you can get Stan's to switch to blue stickers for their rims. Then you'll be all set!  :lol:

I especially like the blue anodized water bottle cage screws.  :thumb:

PhilNYC

« Reply #599 on: 12 Oct 2010, 04:03 pm »

You know, I've never really thought about it, but that's what usually happens with my bikes...!

Actually, I bought the IF frame from eBay...just went to the shop to have them help me build it up.  But the customer service at this shop is really terrific; the co-owner really knows his stuff when it comes to mountain bikes, so he was just as thrilled as I was to build this one up. 

But in terms of "serious coin", all this stuff pales in comparison to audio gear...! :o