Bicycling Off-Road

BikeWNC

Re: Bicycling Off-Road
« Reply #560 on: 31 Aug 2010, 04:01 pm »
I've never ridden a 29er so I can't speak from experience.  But I've been told by guys who are committed to 29ers that getting full-suspension on a 29er is overkill and is "the worst of both worlds" (heavy, inefficient, etc)...so you either go hard-tail 29er or full-suspension 26er...

You know, the S-Works Epic 29er weighs just 21.5#!  Not that I would spend that kind of money on a mtb.  I've ridden the Epic 26 and I like the platform feel.  It's locked out until you need the suspension.  On the 29er I think that would make it work pretty well.  My friend in Colorado has a 29 FS with 5" of travel and loves it for Fruita.  But opinions are all over the map which tells me there are more uninformed people making guesses as fact than those that really have experience. 

Josh, I'm concerned about climbing on the 29er vs the 26.  I worry the extra mass of the larger wheel will make some climbs more difficult.  I just have to try one.  My LBS will have a demo bike in fairly soon for me to demo.  I'm not the most aggressive rider.  I do want a bike that will ride the White Rim in Canyonlands well and marathon rides similar to that.  So efficiency, comfort and fit are more important than sheer trail or all mountain capability. 

coke

« Reply #561 on: 31 Aug 2010, 04:13 pm »

Josh, I'm concerned about climbing on the 29er vs the 26.  I worry the extra mass of the larger wheel will make some climbs more difficult. 

I went from a 26 hardtail to a 29 hardtail.

With the 26 on the technical or steep climbs, I was always fighting the back wheel spinning or the front tire coming off the ground.  I don't seem to have either of those issues nearly as often now that I'm riding a 29.  I also love getting  momentum built up and flying up steep, rough, but short hills on the 29.  It's like the hill isn't even there.

I haven't really ridden any yet with the 29, but I would think that on long smooth climbs, the 26 would have the advantage.

PhilNYC

« Reply #562 on: 1 Sep 2010, 02:29 am »
You know, the S-Works Epic 29er weighs just 21.5#!

How much does the S-Works Epic 26er weigh?

BikeWNC

« Reply #563 on: 1 Sep 2010, 02:52 am »
How much does the S-Works Epic 26er weigh?

IDK.  They aren't bragging on that one like this new 29er.  But at $9400 msrp it's way too rich for my wallet. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #564 on: 1 Sep 2010, 03:04 am »
I've never ridden a 29er so I can't speak from experience.  But I've been told by guys who are committed to 29ers that getting full-suspension on a 29er is overkill and is "the worst of both worlds" (heavy, inefficient, etc)...so you either go hard-tail 29er or full-suspension 26er...

It depends where you ride. I've demo'd a couple of FS 29ers, an Intense Spider and a Turner Sultan. The suspension is a big advantage climbing rocky, techy terrain, and on rocky trails in general. The Intense was the best climbing bike I've ever been on, it feels like you can climb up a tree on that bike. The Sultan was more relaxed but not as efficient climbing. A FS 29er is overkill on "normal" trails for sure, but we do have some brutal trails here in CO, and they are the ones I prefer to ride...

I'd probably stick with a light FS 26er, I like the lighter and stronger wheels and tires, better forks, more tire selection, faster acceleration and better maneuverability...

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #565 on: 1 Sep 2010, 03:15 am »
I worry the extra mass of the larger wheel will make some climbs more difficult.  I just have to try one.

A 29er rolls over obstacles more efficiently once it gets up to speed but accelerates slower. If you are maintaining consistent speed up a hill I believe the 29er is going to use less energy getting you up the hill because the larger wheel's diameter and momentum carry it over imperfections and obstacles with less loss of speed. It will also have an advantage climbing techy and difficult terrain for the same reasons. On tight twisty singletrack a 26er will be more lively and accelerate out of corners and respond faster when you stand up and hammer. A 29er is a mixed bag on the dh, sometimes it's nice that it rolls over stuff but the heavier wheels and much larger gyroscopic effect are noticeable. And, if you get a 26er you have better fork and tire selection... The fork thing is really big deal on a FS bike, unless I can get a fork that performs like a Fox 36 RC2 I'm not interested in a 29er.

JoshK

« Reply #566 on: 4 Sep 2010, 10:10 pm »
Today I rode with a group of 10 (incl. me) at Wawayanda State Park.  Those were some nice trails.  In between the super techy Jungle Habitat and the super smooth 6 Mile.  Plenty of rocks, but not quite as many steep climbs through large rock gardens.

I've ridden real trails now 5 times and haven't visited the same place twice.  Hartshorne, Tourne, Jungle Habitat, 6 Mile Run and today Wawayanda.  Tomorrow I am going to ride Lewis Morris with the same group.   They were a good group for me, not too newb, but not racers and ultra marathoners either.  We stopped plenty as much for on track repairs (3) as for catchy our breathe.

Wawa had a good mix of terrain.  Mud, rocks, smooth forest single track, rock gardens, bridges, log overs, medium climbs and some techy decents (which I love!).

I actually rode an endo for 10-20 feet doing about 15mph.  We were bombing done a rocky trail and I dropped off a 1' boulder at good speed while riding both brake moderately.  I was over the back of my seat as should be but when my front wheel touched down I went up on the wheel riding it.  I thought for sure I was OTB, but I managed to ride it off.   Adrenalin was pumping pretty good.

Levi

« Reply #567 on: 5 Sep 2010, 03:41 am »
Good riding there Josh.  LOL! 

I am going to Jungle Habitat tomorrow with my racing buddies.  Looking forward to riding off-road again (I have been riding on-road). :)

JoshK

« Reply #568 on: 5 Sep 2010, 03:27 pm »
JH is way fun, but pretty hard too.  If it weren't so slippery it might have been a bit easier, but the rain on the rocks and roots was like grease.

Just got back from Lewis Morris.  That place was fun but I was definitely feeling the burn from two days in a row.  I am going tomorrow morning back to 6 Mile Run with a friend and a couple for the group I rode today.  This should be interesting, as my legs really are quite sore.

LM is fun because you climb a fair amount and when you are ready to curse it, you get to bomb down again.   I like the pay off after your climb.   According to Jay's computer we averaged about 21mph on the downhills.   I was right on his ass.

JoshK

« Reply #569 on: 7 Sep 2010, 12:53 pm »
3 days in a row and I'm feeling the soreness today.  I felt better yesterday then the second day as there wasn't much climbing at 6 Mile. 

I really want to go to Ringwood next weekend, but got to find someone who knows it. 

Levi, how did you like JH?

coke

« Reply #570 on: 7 Sep 2010, 01:56 pm »
I went mountain biking with my mom over the weekend.  About a month ago i sold her my old bike and she's been riding on golf cart paths near where she lives for exercise.  She's 52 and it's been 20+ years since she's been on a bike.

This was her first time ever on a mountain bike trail. She had a few wrecks, but I was really impressed.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/47765700

jackman

« Reply #571 on: 7 Sep 2010, 02:07 pm »
I went mountain biking with my mom over the weekend.  About a month ago i sold her my old bike and she's been riding on golf cart paths near where she lives for exercise.  She's 52 and it's been 20+ years since she's been on a bike.

This was her first time ever on a mountain bike trail. She had a few wrecks, but I was really impressed.

Can't view, restricted.   

Congrats on getting your mom on the trails!  She's still riding after a couple wrecks?  That is very impressive.

Cheers,

J

Levi

« Reply #572 on: 7 Sep 2010, 02:20 pm »
The Jungle Habitat is fun trail.  I had been riding road bikes lately and was at first was overwhelmed with the site of the rocks. However, it only took a few minutes to get accustomed to the terrain and accept the fact that it is going to be rough all they way.  LOL!  I think they put those huge rocks in your path in purpose to minimize soil erosion.   It is a wheel stopper if you are going too slow and don't pick the right line.  We did not see any bears or tigers. 8)  Rough roads, I love my Ti frame!

3 days in a row and I'm feeling the soreness today.  I felt better yesterday then the second day as there wasn't much climbing at 6 Mile. 

I really want to go to Ringwood next weekend, but got to find someone who knows it. 

Levi, how did you like JH?

Levi

« Reply #573 on: 7 Sep 2010, 02:30 pm »
Congrats!  No one is too old to ride bikes. :thumb:

Riding actually perceives you to be 10yrs younger.   :D

coke

« Reply #574 on: 7 Sep 2010, 02:35 pm »
Can't view, restricted.   

Congrats on getting your mom on the trails!  She's still riding after a couple wrecks?  That is very impressive.

Cheers,

J

sorry, I fixed the link. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/47765700

She had several wrecks and an endo on a steep downhill section.  I had forgotten how difficult parts of the trail were.   Her main issue was that she was going too slow over roots, which would cause her to stop and lose her balance. Next time she'll be wearing one of these.

JoshK

« Reply #575 on: 7 Sep 2010, 03:13 pm »
The Jungle Habitat is fun trail.  I had been riding road bikes lately and was at first was overwhelmed with the site of the rocks. However, it only took a few minutes to get accustomed to the terrain and accept the fact that it is going to be rough all they way.  LOL!  I think they put those huge rocks in your path in purpose to minimize soil erosion.   It is a wheel stopper if you are going too slow and don't pick the right line.  We did not see any bears or tigers. 8)  Rough roads, I love my Ti frame!

Imagine doing the upper portion of Animal Chute after pouring down rain!  It was so slippery we had to walk parts of it.  Riding that course built my confidence to ride anything, so in the end it was good.  I rode it with clipless even with sliding all over I was able to step out when needed.

Levi

« Reply #576 on: 7 Sep 2010, 03:39 pm »
We did 10miles scoping the race course for next weeks' race.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/47821252

cornelius

« Reply #577 on: 7 Sep 2010, 07:20 pm »
Levi, Have you tried the Hither Hills trail out in Montauk?  It's really fun - pretty easy, but it's a beautiful ride overlooking the water at various elevations. 

Levi

« Reply #578 on: 8 Sep 2010, 01:36 am »
Yes.  I have been there last year when they have the Bike Festival.  It is easy to get lost but I always remembered where the railroad tracks were relative to the water. :)  Beautiful place indeed!

PhilNYC

« Reply #579 on: 8 Sep 2010, 11:02 am »

Levi, now you know how I felt at Stewart Forest!