Bicycling Off-Road

JoshK

Re: Bicycling Off-Road
« Reply #540 on: 29 Aug 2010, 10:28 pm »
For those of you in the NE, I recommend you check out 6 Mile Run.  Its not the most technical terrain, meaning it is quite a bit more smooth track than Northern NJ.  It also has virtually no climbing.  However, it has lots of "twisties", meaning lots of switchback style singletrack, testing your best speed versus braking ability.  It also has lots of trail features off to the side of the track, such as large log piles, jumps, drops, log rides, bridges, long skinnies with multiple pumps.   It was great fun.

Here is a new feature, a log bridge elevated about 3.5-4 feet and maybe 20 feet long.. 

You had to take it with speed and I still felt like I almost lost balance.

coke

« Reply #541 on: 30 Aug 2010, 05:44 pm »
Not long ago I heard of a bike trail close by, and so I went with a friend to check it out.  We figured we'd hike it before we took our bikes.  Turned out to be a lot longer than we anticipated, and I almost ran out of water even though I took 4 liters.  There were also seed ticks and lots of very steep climbs.

Overall though, it was really enjoyable and I can't wait to get my bike out there.  There's an additional 6 mile loop that we didn't hike. It's supposed to be for experts only but we plan to check it out when we get the chance.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/46406779

Levi

« Reply #542 on: 30 Aug 2010, 09:16 pm »
12 mile hike is a long way.  Glad you did not get lost.

JoshK

« Reply #543 on: 30 Aug 2010, 11:51 pm »
Phil, you got to hurry and finish that bike build so you can show me Ringwood. 

I'm actually dreaming of a bike build myself.   I know its completely stupid at this point, but I'd really like to build a more aggressive riding bike, somethink like a Transition TransAm.  It more BMX oriented like I remember riding.   I love the GF for speed and rollover, but its not really "flickable".   Right now its just dreaming as I am not dropping any more cash on bikes.

JoshK

« Reply #544 on: 30 Aug 2010, 11:56 pm »
The only picture I got from last w/e's ride.  Of course, when I redid it so my friend could snap the shot, I got a bad entry and had to bail.  First time I made it about 2/3rds of the way.   The entry ramp was about 20 degrees off from the log so you had to turn upon arrival.  You can't see it but you also had a log over about 10 yards prior to ramp. 

BikeWNC

« Reply #545 on: 31 Aug 2010, 02:09 am »
What do you guys think about 29ers vs 26 mtbs?  I'm looking at a new mtb this Fall and am thinking I might go with the New Epic Carbon Expert 29er.  Any ideas?  I'm probably sticking with Specialized though because I can get a good deal at my LBS.  I'm not really a technical mtb rider but I need a FS bike for my lower back issues.  I'll most likely ride doubletrack and relatively smooth singletrack.  Also, next summer I've been invited on a Trans-Alp off-road ride. 

jackman

« Reply #546 on: 31 Aug 2010, 02:17 am »
The only picture I got from last w/e's ride.  Of course, when I redid it so my friend could snap the shot, I got a bad entry and had to bail.  First time I made it about 2/3rds of the way.   The entry ramp was about 20 degrees off from the log so you had to turn upon arrival.  You can't see it but you also had a log over about 10 yards prior to ramp. 

Nice shot!  You have really jumped into mountain biking.  It's great to see someone out there hitting the trails with a shiny new bike.  Sounds like you were really bit by the bug.

I gave up aggressive off-road cycling after I injured my shoulder  (the pain of surgery and physical therepy were too much for me) but I miss the challenges of technical riding.  It's very cool to see how much fun you are having.

Thanks!

Jack

LadyDog

« Reply #547 on: 31 Aug 2010, 03:23 am »
WNC,
Everyone is their own movie critic, but I am partial to 29's.  Then again, I am also a hard tail person.

BikeWNC

« Reply #548 on: 31 Aug 2010, 03:38 am »
WNC,
Everyone is their own movie critic, but I am partial to 29's.  Then again, I am also a hard tail person.
Yeah, it's a hot debate depending on who you ask.  At 6'3" a 29er seems to fit a bit better.  I guess I really need to demo one to know for sure. 

Levi

« Reply #549 on: 31 Aug 2010, 03:50 am »
That Epic Carbon Expert Evo 29er is one nice looking bike!   :thumb:

You should test drive one to really find out if it is for you.  Don't forget to bring your clipless pedals and shoes.

LadyDog

« Reply #550 on: 31 Aug 2010, 04:04 am »
Don't forget to check out the "lefty's".  While odd looking, they seems to do well.  Though that is coming from a roadie so the grain of salt,

BikeWNC

« Reply #551 on: 31 Aug 2010, 12:12 pm »
That Epic Carbon Expert Evo 29er is one nice looking bike!   :thumb:

You should test drive one to really find out if it is for you.  Don't forget to bring your clipless pedals and shoes.

It won't be the Evo which is a 1x10 bike. I'll certainly get a 2x10.  But the frame is the same, not sure of the parts mix. 

coke

« Reply #552 on: 31 Aug 2010, 12:36 pm »
I put a GT Peace 9r multi together for a friend last night.  I'm VERY impressed with it for the money ($525 shipped).  The only weakness that stood out, is that the brakes feel a little underpowered.   First time to ride a steel frame bike, but I think I like it.

JoshK

« Reply #553 on: 31 Aug 2010, 01:42 pm »
Regarding the 29er vs 26er debate, here is my $.02.  I haven't ridden any 26ers recently, I am going from very distant memory and some conjecture. 

29er:  Feels very fast.  A lot of your pedaling energy gets transferred into forward motion.  Roll-over advantage is real and noticeable. 
To its disadvantages, its BB height feels a bit tall leading to a slightly twitchier lateral stability.  Together with its longer wheel base makes really tight switch-backs feel tighter.   My GF 29er is less "flickable" than other MTBs I've ridden, which means jumps and stuff are less styled.  That might mean nothing to you.   I can pop wheelies easily on it, but I can't ride them dozens of yards like I use to on my old 26er. 
I definitely think that a tall rider will feel at home on a 29er.  Also if you are riding smoother less super techy trails you likely will never notice any disadvantage. 

Some of all of this might be me just getting used to the different feel of a slightly larger bike that the GF is.  I definitely love how fast it feels and how great the roll over feels.   I am just thinking of having another bike in the stable to tackle stuff like Jungle Habitat up north which is really techy, rocky and super tight and twisting.

PhilNYC

« Reply #554 on: 31 Aug 2010, 02:01 pm »
Phil, you got to hurry and finish that bike build so you can show me Ringwood. 

Hopefully I'll have it in a week or two!  I'll say, tho, that I really like Stewart Forest and anticipate that that will be my first trail on the new bike...

PhilNYC

« Reply #555 on: 31 Aug 2010, 02:07 pm »
What do you guys think about 29ers vs 26 mtbs?  I'm looking at a new mtb this Fall and am thinking I might go with the New Epic Carbon Expert 29er.  Any ideas?  I'm probably sticking with Specialized though because I can get a good deal at my LBS.  I'm not really a technical mtb rider but I need a FS bike for my lower back issues.  I'll most likely ride doubletrack and relatively smooth singletrack.  Also, next summer I've been invited on a Trans-Alp off-road ride.

I've never ridden a 29er so I can't speak from experience.  But I've been told by guys who are committed to 29ers that getting full-suspension on a 29er is overkill and is "the worst of both worlds" (heavy, inefficient, etc)...so you either go hard-tail 29er or full-suspension 26er...

JoshK

« Reply #556 on: 31 Aug 2010, 02:16 pm »
Hopefully I'll have it in a week or two!  I'll say, tho, that I really like Stewart Forest and anticipate that that will be my first trail on the new bike...

I've heard great things about Stewart, so I'd be down for going there too!

PhilNYC

« Reply #557 on: 31 Aug 2010, 02:20 pm »
I've heard great things about Stewart, so I'd be down for going there too!

We'll get Levi out too!

JoshK

« Reply #558 on: 31 Aug 2010, 03:10 pm »
Nice shot!  You have really jumped into mountain biking.  It's great to see someone out there hitting the trails with a shiny new bike.  Sounds like you were really bit by the bug.

I gave up aggressive off-road cycling after I injured my shoulder  (the pain of surgery and physical therepy were too much for me) but I miss the challenges of technical riding.  It's very cool to see how much fun you are having.

Thanks!

Jack

Thanks.  Yeah, it makes me feel young again.  When I was a kid, I loved nothing more than jumping my BMX and going to the national track in Sumner, WA (couple miles down the street).  When I was in college, I had a rigid 26'er that I used to ride single-track with my neighbor out in the foothills of SoCal.  We also would go riding in the development areas and drop all the 3 foot tiers they built.  When I got a MTB again, its like nothing changed. 

Levi

« Reply #559 on: 31 Aug 2010, 03:10 pm »
Stewart State Forest has an excellent fast and flowing single-track that would go 20+miles.  It is normally one-way loop if you follow the DarkHorse 40 race course.  Don't go there without a navigational tool or late in the afternoon without lights.