Bicycling Off-Road

JoshK

Re: Bicycling Off-Road
« Reply #480 on: 7 Aug 2010, 02:59 pm »
Actually the bike was never properly fit to me.  They fit the cannondale, but not the GF.   I picked it up when they were closing and they were buried.  I forgot to get them to fit it to me.  It doesn't feel really low, but compared to my Cannondale it is a little low.

There is a another James Vincent bike shop right next to me, which is how I found this shop.  They can fit it to me. 

Last night I was goofing about in the park and riding wheelies (with clipless) and took a fall.  Today I am hobbling quite a bit.  I think I pulled something.

JoshK

« Reply #481 on: 7 Aug 2010, 04:45 pm »
Well I just got fitted.  It was an inch or so low.

jackman

« Reply #482 on: 7 Aug 2010, 05:44 pm »
Well I just got fitted.  It was an inch or so low.

An inch is huge.  You should have way more power with a properly adjusted saddle.  Hope you feel better!

Jack

PhilNYC

« Reply #483 on: 7 Aug 2010, 08:09 pm »
An inch is a big deal, although less so when riding singletrack and trails, where you spend a lot of time off the saddle and appreciate the extra clearance....

On a road bike, I find even 1/4" makes a significant difference...

Levi

« Reply #484 on: 8 Aug 2010, 12:42 am »
A little late in the parade...

Nice bike Josh!  You also bought a road bike. Congrats!

PhilNYC

« Reply #485 on: 8 Aug 2010, 01:49 am »
What options for tires are there that work with the ZTR rims?  And what hubs are you using?

Levi...any thoughts on these questions?  Now that my Yo Eddy is out to pasture, I am looking into buying a new mtb.  Will be looking into wheels, and would love to know more about these.  Do you have to buy tires from Stan?  and what hub are you using?

Levi

« Reply #486 on: 8 Aug 2010, 03:02 am »
I am currently using an Industry Nine Ultralite wheelset.  So far, they have survived a year of abuse and racing + the ultimate in bling.  I like them so much I bought another pair for spare.  Like wheels, tires, saddles...they are all a matter of personal.  http://www.industrynine.net/Mountain_Wheels

To answer your question, any tire combination will work with Stans ZTR rims.  I happen to love to use Schwalbe Nobby Nick in the front and Rocket Ron in the rear.  They are foldable tires then converted to tubeless with the help of sealant.  I also tried tubeless schwalbe tires with tubeless but they tend to be heavy but more stable side walls.  Stan's tires are great lightweight tires as well but Raven's don't have much thread in them for lose conditions which are great for hard pack dirt.  Obviously, it all depends on the terrain you mostly frequent.  If you are going to ride in blue mountain more (lots of rocks), you may want tires that have more meat in them.

Good luck on the new bike build Phil.  I think the chase is where the fun is. :thumb:

PhilNYC

« Reply #487 on: 8 Aug 2010, 11:14 am »
Thanks Levi...so then what's the difference between UST and BST wheels? :scratch:

Also, I looked over the Industry Nine wheelset offerings.  Looks like all of the ones that are built with Stan's rims have a weight limit (and unfortunately, I am over that weight limit!).  Any other wheels I should be considering?  At the moment, I'm thinking Chris King hubs...would love to pair them with an American-made rim (Stan's rims would be great, but now I'm a little nervous about the weight thing)....
« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2010, 01:39 pm by PhilNYC »

Levi

« Reply #488 on: 9 Aug 2010, 04:30 am »
Good question.  I know UST Standard is collaborated by Mavic and Hutchinson I does not need rim tape to seal.  BST is by Notubes and requires a form of rim tape to seal.  Probably more info is out there on the net.

Thanks Levi...so then what's the difference between UST and BST wheels? :scratch:

PhilNYC

« Reply #489 on: 9 Aug 2010, 11:22 am »
Hey Josh...are you noticing the difference in the seat height?

JoshK

« Reply #490 on: 9 Aug 2010, 01:08 pm »
Hard to say as I didn't ride it much yet.  I only hit the road with the CAAD9 since my leg is still quite sore.   I can ride in saddle but not out. 

PhilNYC

« Reply #491 on: 13 Aug 2010, 01:17 am »
Hard to say as I didn't ride it much yet.  I only hit the road with the CAAD9 since my leg is still quite sore.   I can ride in saddle but not out.

I'm not around this weekend, but you should come up to 9W next weekend...maybe Levi can come with us...!

Rob S.

« Reply #492 on: 13 Aug 2010, 01:22 am »
Hey guys, found this amazing, it may already be posted here though.   http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/post/Bike-bought-for-5-at-yard-sale-belonged-to-Tour?urn=top-262060

Rob S.

PhilNYC

« Reply #493 on: 13 Aug 2010, 01:23 am »
New one is the sram xx 10-speed 11-36 cog.

Btw - I just won my eBay bid for a 2004 Independent Fabrication Ti Deluxe!  And I'm going to have Tone Depth build me a set of wheels...ZTR Arch rims, Chris King Iso Disc hubs...

Am looking at SRAM X.0 drivetrain...the new 2011 version is offered in a 2x10 config, so that's what I'm likely to go with.  Am trying to decide on the chain-ring and cassette configurations.  They offer 26-39 or 28-42 chain-rings and 11-32 or 11-36 cassettes.  I'm leaning towards 28-42 and 11-36, although I'm worried about too-big jumps with the 11-36 cassette.  Any thoughts on this?

coke

« Reply #494 on: 13 Aug 2010, 01:26 am »
I'm lucky enough to have a private, 2.5 mile track which my friend keeps cleared (we also use it for dirt bikes and 4wheelers).  Going for a night ride later tonight  :thumb:

Rob S.

« Reply #495 on: 13 Aug 2010, 01:31 am »
Phil-  the arch/Ck isodisc wheels should be superb.  My brother just got the exact build back from Mike Curiak at lacemine29.com 

Can you post a link to your new '04 IF bike?  I gotta see it.    :thumb:   I love my IF road bike, couldn't quite stomach the finish on a mtn bike getting banged up, so I went cheapo steel Soma 29er frame.  It's held up well.

rob S.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #496 on: 13 Aug 2010, 01:34 am »
Today purchased the frame pictured below, 2010 Raleigh XXIX Pro steel, XL    Specs for complete bike (not purchased) and the frame geometry: http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/mountain/2010-mountain/xxix-pro/

Raleigh won over the Vassago Bandersnatch.  Raleigh costs slightly less but more than that is the fact the Raleigh comes in 21.5" while the largest 'Snatch is 20" (I might enjoy even larger than 21.5").     

The Raleigh's a "steel" (unintended pun) for the money.

WTB has 2011 M.Y. 9er tubeless wheel sets ETA September, two levels: most affordable ever (IIRC a measly $350) and super high end maybe above the $770 Mavic Crossmax.

I'm completely sold on the advantages of 2x10 gears, coming on this build (lighter, instant gear change, no cross chain, more vertical clearance).  Only known downside is 2-4% less gearing extremes.  2x10 arrived 2010 M.Y. and only in the most costly build kits.  Mid-priced kits arrive 2011 M.Y. 

Popular opinion holds that new OEM front triple rings may disappear post 2013 (except for lowest cost entry bikes, where naive buyers want features over performance).         

PhilNYC

« Reply #497 on: 13 Aug 2010, 01:39 am »
Phil-  the arch/Ck isodisc wheels should be superb.  My brother just got the exact build back from Mike Curiak at lacemine29.com 

Can you post a link to your new '04 IF bike?  I gotta see it.    :thumb:   I love my IF road bike, couldn't quite stomach the finish on a mtn bike getting banged up, so I went cheapo steel Soma 29er frame.  It's held up well.

rob S.

Here it is (scroll to the bottom):  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280544461206

With the shot-peened finish, it's pretty hard to scuff up.  I can't wait to receive it! :singing:

Levi

« Reply #498 on: 13 Aug 2010, 03:26 am »
Congrats Phil.  Great snag!  I have seen the shot-peened finish.  Great bike!  :thumb:

I would go for the 39/26 front and 11-36 rear cog combination.  That's what my current racing setup and felt like it is properly geared even for smooth tarmac.  If you go with the 42/29 front and 11-32 rear cog, you will need a very strong thighs to push the bike up a steep climb.  You will definitely walk parts of Stewart Forest.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #499 on: 13 Aug 2010, 04:18 am »
It's gorgeous! 

What was new price for that frame, if I may ask? 

One wonders what does someone trade up to from a nice Ti frame?