Bicycling Off-Road

charmerci

Re: Bicycling Off-Road
« Reply #440 on: 29 Jul 2010, 11:58 am »
That's the problem with just drinking Gatorade.

Chris What's-His-Name (Carmichael?)- Lance Armstrong's trainer says that the only time to eat sugar is within half an hour after exercise - to replenish your energy. So that's what I do - mmmmm. Cookies!!!

PhilNYC

« Reply #441 on: 31 Jul 2010, 11:05 am »
So it appears that monday's ride has caused a crack in my top-tube...!  I guess that's what happens when riding a 16+ year old bike.... :cry:

jackman

« Reply #442 on: 31 Jul 2010, 11:22 am »
So it appears that monday's ride has caused a crack in my top-tube...!  I guess that's what happens when riding a 16+ year old bike.... :cry:

Oh no!  Which bike?  All of your bikes are beautiful and I hate to hear this sort of thing.  Can it be fixed? 

PhilNYC

« Reply #443 on: 31 Jul 2010, 11:56 am »
Oh no!  Which bike?  All of your bikes are beautiful and I hate to hear this sort of thing.  Can it be fixed?

It was my Fat Chance Yo Eddy...my pride and joy...!  I'm going to look into how much it would cost to fix, but am pretty sure I will get a new bike instead.  The Yo Eddy is very old (a "classic", actually!), and as such, it has a lot of stuff on it that makes it hard to maintain...1" head tube and threaded headset (hard to find replacement parts), a 2"-travel fork (today's standard seems to be a minimum of 4", and even if I could find a 4" travel fork with a 1" threaded steerer, the geometry of the bike doesn't really work with a fork that tall), over-the-bar thumbshifter levers, etc.  Not all that excited about sinking more money into it...

The good news is that I have always pined for a titanium mountain bike, so this might be the opportunity to get one!  Am seriously going to consider an Independent Fabrication Ti Deluxe, Moots RigorMootis, or a Kent Eriksen custom (all hard-tails)... :thumb:

Rest in Peace...

Levi

« Reply #444 on: 31 Jul 2010, 12:36 pm »
Wow!  Sorry to hear that Phil.  :(

PhilNYC

« Reply #445 on: 31 Jul 2010, 12:46 pm »
Wow!  Sorry to hear that Phil.  :(

Now I have an excuse for having a hard time keeping up with you... :D

charmerci

« Reply #446 on: 31 Jul 2010, 02:11 pm »
Too bad about the bike. Sounds like you really know what you want though....

If you get sticker shock on the Ti bikes (I do,) this place is quite a bit cheaper.

http://www.habcycles.com/mtbdiscprice.html

Close up photos of their work are here.

http://www.habcycles.com/pictures.html

-and a few reviews.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/frameset/habanero/ti-mtb-frame/PRD_351290_119crx.aspx

jackman

« Reply #447 on: 31 Jul 2010, 04:47 pm »
Phil,

Very sorry about the Fat Chance.  You are right, that bike is a classic and I hate to see it bite the dust.  At least you have an excuse to get a new one, and your list of choices is very good. I'd like to add one, a Lynskey Pro29 hardtail in Ti, custom made in Tennesee by the folks who originated Litespeed.  Two of my roadbike friends have Lynskey bikes and both bikes are beautiful.  The helix tubes are stiff and compliant.   Link to website is below. 

Good luck!

J
http://www.lynskeyperformance.com/a/pages/2009-products/mountain-bikes---lynskey-performance.php

PhilNYC

« Reply #448 on: 31 Jul 2010, 06:51 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.  Regarding sticker-shock for Ti frames, I guess high-end audio has really made me impervious to this...I can get a full custom Ti bike with top-of-the-line components for less than the retail price of my speakers... :duh:

As far as the choices, the Indy Fab Ti Deluxe is my leading candidate if only because it is the frame that I have dreamed of since Indy Fab rose from the ashes that was Fat Chance many years ago.  But Eriksen is really making me think about that choice given everything I've read about him and his long-standing pedigree in building Ti frames (Kent Eriksen was the original founder of Moots).  Moots would be the choice for a stock non-custom frame.

Here's a cool little photo essay about Indy Fab:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=129466

JoshK

« Reply #449 on: 1 Aug 2010, 12:14 am »
So now I see where the Yo Eddy moniker comes from on MTBNJ.com.  Sorry to hear about the bike.  Check my forthcoming post on the on-road thread for my other new bike purchase.

I am bound and determined to get back into shape.  I use to run half-marathons at one point, not so many years ago, after all.   Hopefully, then I can ride with you guys!  It'd be cool to have a subsection of the NYAR crowd that is MTBNJ or visa versa.   I can see the jerseys now.

I've already talked hi-fi and diy tube amp building with members of the MTBNJ gang (not just in virtual world mind you).   There are plenty of music nuts in the group, with tastes more similar to mine than the jazz crowd.

Josh

PhilNYC

« Reply #450 on: 1 Aug 2010, 08:57 pm »
Hey Levi...how'd the Darkhorse 40 go for you today??

Levi

« Reply #451 on: 2 Aug 2010, 12:27 am »
The Dark Horse 40 was a lot of fun!  :beer:  However, having cramps made the last 20mile a challenge.  :)  40 miles puts a lot of beating in your body.  There were over 200 in my class and I think I finished around 75th.  I could have done better.  Oh well.  Live and learn.  DH 40 is a well organized race with good pit stations and BBQ/Beer on tap at the end of the race.  I will do this race again next year.

I camped out in a nearby hotel so it was convenient to get to the race site @6am. 

My Merlin XLM

Our tent

Jacob my friend ;)

Fully catered event

Beer on Tap

MTBNJ.com

PhilNYC

« Reply #452 on: 2 Aug 2010, 01:14 am »

I camped out in a nearby hotel so it was convenient to get to the race site @6am. 

Congrats on the finish!  And your bike looks like it got a good night's sleep... :D

JoshK

« Reply #453 on: 2 Aug 2010, 02:00 am »
Congrats Levi.  I can't even imagine doing 40 off road at this point.  That is hard core.  Where is the coarse set up, Lewis Morris? 

I noticed you are setup as 1x9.  How long have you had it like that?  I am thinking of loosing the 42T ring now that I got a road bike.  I don't see the point unless you are bombing down a steep fireroad.  I've already smacked it a few times hopping logs.  The extra inch or so could be useful and I am thinking of adding a bashguard.   Do you have any dropped chains as you have it set up? I noticed you aren't using a BG or guide.

JoshK

« Reply #454 on: 2 Aug 2010, 02:02 am »
On closer look I see you have a guide.  What kind is that?

Levi

« Reply #455 on: 2 Aug 2010, 02:22 am »
Thanks guys for the complement. 

I am currently using SRAM XX drivetrain.  That is 10speed rear and 2 chainring front (39/26t).  It took some abuse today and No drop chains. :)

JoshK

« Reply #456 on: 2 Aug 2010, 02:56 am »
really?  I can't see the smaller ring in that photo.  The guide does look like a derailleur on second glance.

39/26....guess that is a good compromise.  Kindly like a compact I guess.

jackman

« Reply #457 on: 2 Aug 2010, 02:23 pm »
Levi,

Very cool looking ride!  It's good to hear you are putting that sweet Merlin through its paces!  Seeing those pictures, and the after-race party, makes me want to dust off my MTB and hit the dirt.  I completed my first century on my road bike yesterday and hope to get my mountainbike out later this week. 

On hot days, it's much cooler riding single-track through the woods, and a good break from road cycling.  Congratulations on your strong finish.

Cheers,

Jack

Levi

« Reply #458 on: 2 Aug 2010, 03:51 pm »
Thanks Jack!

Despite the massive muscle tissue damage due to cramping I managed to finish 40 miles. That was with several pills of endurolytes, 2 botles of  heed and 1.5 liters of perpetuem.
LOL!  I guess my body is only good for 3hrs worth of non-stop hard pedaling.

jackman

« Reply #459 on: 2 Aug 2010, 04:16 pm »
Thanks Jack!

Despite the massive muscle tissue damage due to cramping I managed to finish 40 miles. That was with several pills of endurolytes, 2 botles of  heed and 1.5 liters of perpetuem.
LOL!  I guess my body is only good for 3hrs worth of non-stop hard pedaling.

Three hours on a mountainbike, with hills and bumps is very impressive.  Proper nutrition is key and it looks like you took every precaution.  That's where I usually fall short (and pay the price later).  Yesterday's century was supported, so there was lots of good food and drinks at the rest stops.  IMO, that's the biggest challenge in long rides around here, lack of water.  I might need to get one of those water caddys the tri people have on their bikes for proper nutrition. 

Cheers!

J