Bicycling Off-Road

macrojack

• Restricted
Re: Bicycling Off-Road
« Reply #420 on: 26 Jul 2010, 09:38 pm »
Here's are some videos of rides in my neighborhood:

http://www.google.com/search?q=fruita+loops&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=v&source=univ&tbs=vid:1&tbo=u&ei=wf1NTPfJMObnnQfp0fHXCw&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=6&ved=0CD8QqwQwBQ

Some of the trails out here are terrifying, some long and grueling, and some are wimpy enough for me. If you ever want to visit the mecca of mountain biking let me know and I'll help you plan your trip.

I have a 10 year old Raleigh M-60 that I just use to tool around town with my wife. One of my sons has a Kona Cinder Cone and the other has a Transition Trans-Am. Only the Transition boy could ride with you guys but I've got a truck and I would gladly take you to and from the trailhead.

Best time of year might be between Labor Day and Halloween.

Levi

« Reply #421 on: 27 Jul 2010, 04:03 am »
Where is this place?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #422 on: 27 Jul 2010, 04:20 am »
Where is this place?

Levi....
Tom/macrojack lives in Fruita, Colorado. :thumb:

http://www.gofruita.com/
http://www.fruita.org/

Levi

« Reply #423 on: 27 Jul 2010, 11:27 am »
Thanks Chris.  I will surely keep that in mind the time we go to Colorado. :thumb:

PhilNYC

« Reply #424 on: 27 Jul 2010, 12:06 pm »
oooo....I'm so sore today....! :shake:

Levi

« Reply #425 on: 27 Jul 2010, 12:22 pm »
Today is recovery day. Ride hard again tomorrow. :).

JoshK

« Reply #426 on: 27 Jul 2010, 01:16 pm »
Sounds like a good ride.  I couldn't keep up, I'm sure.  I am not in shape yet. 

Levi

« Reply #427 on: 27 Jul 2010, 01:24 pm »
The key word is "yet".  Just keep riding Josh.  Those Hammer Nutrition products does work for recovery and endurance.  No cramping here which is far better than Gatorade products. :)

http://www.hammernutrition.com/?gclid=CP_Drqbmi6MCFcl25QodIl4Ncg

Sounds like a good ride.  I couldn't keep up, I'm sure.  I am not in shape yet. 

jackman

« Reply #428 on: 27 Jul 2010, 02:00 pm »
The key word is "yet".  Just keep riding Josh.  Those Hammer Nutrition products does work for recovery and endurance.  No cramping here which is far better than Gatorade products. :)

http://www.hammernutrition.com/?gclid=CP_Drqbmi6MCFcl25QodIl4Ncg

Agreed.  Hammer makes good products and their prices are reasonable.  They also have great sales on their jerseys and bibs.  Their bibs are comfortable and well made.  The same is true of their jerseys. 

I'm doing a 100 mile ride this Saturday.  Should be interesting because I have reduced my training time due to an injury.  I did a 40 mile ride on Sunday and felt good and will do a couple easy rides this week to get ready for the big ride.  Will post Garmin data after the century.  If heartrate is zero at the end, that means I'm dead (and my wife posted the data).  :thumb:

PhilNYC

« Reply #429 on: 27 Jul 2010, 02:06 pm »
I've heard great things about Hammer stuff.  Have been using CytoSport products with great results, but might give the Hammer stuff a try...

PhilNYC

« Reply #430 on: 28 Jul 2010, 04:25 pm »
My arms/triceps are still sore today.... :oops:

JoshK

« Reply #431 on: 28 Jul 2010, 04:48 pm »
Eat a bananna.  The potasium helps your muscles rebuild.

PhilNYC

« Reply #432 on: 28 Jul 2010, 05:03 pm »
I think I would need a whole banana tree...!  :banana piano:

charmerci

« Reply #433 on: 28 Jul 2010, 09:08 pm »

You brake too much!  :nono: :lol: Either that you need to update your brakes. The newer ones (whether the V-brakes or especially disk brakes) are so much easier on the arms.

BikeWNC

« Reply #434 on: 28 Jul 2010, 09:58 pm »
You guys can get 15% off Hammer stuff on your first order if you use my customer no.   PM if you want it. 

Levi

« Reply #435 on: 28 Jul 2010, 10:23 pm »
I just ordered a 32 servings of Perpetuem and some Jersey and shorts.  Great price!  It's too bad I could have gotten a discount. :)

You guys can get 15% off Hammer stuff on your first order if you use my customer no.   PM if you want it. 

Levi

« Reply #436 on: 28 Jul 2010, 11:46 pm »
That's the problem with just drinking Gatorade.  I don't think it has enough nutrients to help prevent lean muscle tissue cannibalization and hasten recovery.

I was there this morning with a friend and did another 20mile (1 loop).  :thumb:

PhilNYC

« Reply #437 on: 29 Jul 2010, 12:05 am »
You brake too much!  :nono: :lol: Either that you need to update your brakes. The newer ones (whether the V-brakes or especially disk brakes) are so much easier on the arms.

Yeah, I was definitely a little chicken in the first 5-6 miles and hit the brakes a lot on those steep sections...and having old cantilever brakes certainly did not help!  But I think it was more a result of the fact that (1) my suspension fork is old and only has <2inches of travel, and (2) spending so much time on the road bike does nothing for arm/upper body development... :dunno:

PhilNYC

« Reply #438 on: 29 Jul 2010, 12:08 am »
That's the problem with just drinking Gatorade.  I don't think it has enough nutrients to help prevent lean muscle tissue cannibalization and hasten recovery.

I was there this morning with a friend and did another 20mile (1 loop).  :thumb:

Gatorade is only my "during the ride" drink (although usually I use CytoMax...was just too lazy to make it that morning!).  When I got home, I did the whole whey-protein-drink thing, as well as generally fed myself well.

How'd the ride go this morning?  I'm assuming you went harder than you did with me... :notworthy:

(I rode my trainer this morning for an easy hour just to warm things up and elevate my heart rate.  Will hit the road/trail again on Friday...)

Levi

« Reply #439 on: 29 Jul 2010, 01:51 am »
It was similar pace as Monday as I had to wait for my friend.  It's lonely riding in the woods alone sometimes. 

Recovery drinks should be taken immediately after the workout.

Remember the huge bowl?  My friend in the background :)  Now that was fun!