Bicycling Off-Road

Levi

Re: Bicycling Off-Road
« Reply #380 on: 24 Jun 2010, 11:08 am »
Thanks!

SRAM will have the 10-speed setup "trickle down" to the rest of their line.  Likewise for Shimie.  It is just a matter of time.

Don_S

« Reply #381 on: 24 Jun 2010, 03:08 pm »
brj,  You've got some 'splainin to do.   :scratch:

Wow - nice!  I've read good things about the XX cassette.  The 4 equalized pickup and downshift points seem like a long overdue idea.  I hope they let that technology "trickle down" the rest of their line... preferably before I wear out another cassette! :)

brj

« Reply #382 on: 24 Jun 2010, 05:40 pm »
Are you referring to the cassette comment?  Here's a link to what they did differently:

http://www.sram.com/en/XX/engineering/x-glide.php

Don_S

« Reply #383 on: 24 Jun 2010, 06:22 pm »
brj,

Thanks, that was what I was looking for. I did not grok "4 equalized pickup and downshift points".  Pretty slick and apparently it works according to Levi.

Guess I am a little behind.  I just found out some MTBs now had 10 speed cassettes and Campy is offering 11 speed cassettes on part of its road lineup.

Am I understanding correctly that the X-Glide is a 2x10 configuration only?  Do the 10-speed cassettes fit on a Shimano 9-speed hub?

Levi

« Reply #384 on: 1 Jul 2010, 09:39 pm »
I went for my first race ever at Lewis Morris Challenge, NJ 6/27/2010!  The new SRAM XX gear set worked as I have planned.  I placed 15 out of 45 in CAT 3 Mens 40-49.  I guess that is not bad for a first race.  :)

Racing in the woods  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Game face  :lol:

Merlin XLM

Don_S

« Reply #385 on: 1 Jul 2010, 11:55 pm »
Levi,

Any race you finish still on your bike is a good race.  :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #386 on: 2 Jul 2010, 12:07 am »
Thanks Don.  I could not agree more.  :thumb:

JoshK

« Reply #387 on: 3 Jul 2010, 08:40 pm »
In the on-road thread, I had solicited opinions for a bike and used that to start researching. Turns out that I wanted to get a MTB and just get a pair of slicks for the road.  Wanted a 29'er.

Well just ordered a Gary Fisher X-Caliber

Guys at James Vincent Bikes both in Jersey City and North Bergen are pretty cool.  First went to JC and he directed me to NB since they had more selection.  Went today and got fitted, talked with the sales guys and decided on the X-cal. 

Josh

Levi

« Reply #388 on: 3 Jul 2010, 09:53 pm »
Wow!  29er congrats!  Let me know when you are tired riding paved roads. I knew some woods you can ride. FAST!

Don_S

« Reply #389 on: 3 Jul 2010, 11:12 pm »
The metric designation for a 26" tire is 559. What is the metric designation for 29" tires?  I looked but could not find it.

I am curious how big the bikes look up close and personal.

JoshK

« Reply #390 on: 4 Jul 2010, 12:06 am »
I'm always up for riding trails!  I loved the days when I lived in So Cal and would go out to the "woods" behind my development and ride a freaking long ass trail through the "woods".  Tiring start as it was all up hill for 5 miles or so to start and then downhil on the way home.

bunnyma357

« Reply #391 on: 4 Jul 2010, 12:55 am »
The metric designation for a 26" tire is 559. What is the metric designation for 29" tires?  I looked but could not find it.

I am curious how big the bikes look up close and personal.

I believe 29'ers are 700C just like road bikes - which is 622mm.  For more info than you probably ever want to know try SheldonBrown.com

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html 

Jim C

Weird the above text shows up in the edit box, but doesn't display in the final post. Does anybody see the text between the quote and this line?

ooheadsoo

« Reply #392 on: 4 Jul 2010, 01:02 am »
Yes, 700c.

bunnyma357

« Reply #393 on: 4 Jul 2010, 01:04 am »
I believe 29'ers are 700c like road bikes - 622mm. For more info than you probably want on tire sizes - check out Sheldon Brown's site.

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Jim C

ooheadsoo

« Reply #394 on: 4 Jul 2010, 02:59 am »
Your text WAS there, but after I posted my confirmation, I could no longer see it.

Don_S

« Reply #395 on: 4 Jul 2010, 06:04 pm »
Thanks for the size information from those who posted and those who "tried" to post.  :lol: 

ooheadsoo

« Reply #396 on: 5 Jul 2010, 05:54 am »
Awesome, JoshK.  I wanted that bike but ended up with a specialized rockhopper sl 29er instead because I couldn't find a deal in my size.  The fisher has some great components all over it.

JoshK

« Reply #397 on: 6 Jul 2010, 05:44 pm »
So now what are some of the best places in NNJ to bike off road?  What are your favorites?

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #398 on: 6 Jul 2010, 06:13 pm »

Here is a pict. of the women who won their down hill mountain races this last weekend, July 2010. My daughter is on the left and won the women's youth 13 and under. Easy to win when there is no competition though. She did good.

Another pict. of her time on the podium. She likes beating the boys.

My son placed 7th out of 16 riders. Course was intense in places.

I was supposed to race in the 40+ category but could not since I broke -cracked- a bone in my elbow skateboarding in a bowl. Never done that before.  :o

So I am trying to heal so as to race on the 24.

Rocket_and no I am not too old for this stuff_Ronny

PhilNYC

« Reply #399 on: 6 Jul 2010, 07:42 pm »
So now what are some of the best places in NNJ to bike off road?  What are your favorites?

Ringwood State Park is a great place...relatively technical, but big enough that there's something for everyone...