Bicycling Off-Road

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: Bicycling Off-Road
« Reply #280 on: 4 Feb 2010, 02:26 am »
I've demo'ed a few 29ers and they have their pros and cons. Most of the rolling advantage is actually in techy climbs, but they smooth out the dh a bit more than a 26er. One catch 22 is that 29ers may suit bigger riders better, but the selection of forks, wheels and tires don't really suit heavier riders on rocky and rough terrain and 29ers flex more than 26ers. Most people who are into downhill riding do not like 29ers. A 26er has the potential to have stronger, lighter wheels and tires and a better suspension. A 29er can maintain momentum over rough ground better. 

Levi

« Reply #281 on: 4 Feb 2010, 03:40 am »
The Cunningham Park officially opened on Summer of 2008.  The many trails existed without permission from the NYC Parks.  CLIMB.org now maintains the mtb park.

http://www.climbonline.org/pdf/cunningham_park.pdf

That looks like some well worn in smooth singletrack.  I've driven by that park so many times and never knew it was there. 

Levi

« Reply #282 on: 4 Feb 2010, 03:46 am »
I totally agree. 

In addition, the 29 since it rolls much better you go faster than 26. 

I've demo'ed a few 29ers and they have their pros and cons. Most of the rolling advantage is actually in techy climbs, but they smooth out the dh a bit more than a 26er. One catch 22 is that 29ers may suit bigger riders better, but the selection of forks, wheels and tires don't really suit heavier riders on rocky and rough terrain and 29ers flex more than 26ers. Most people who are into downhill riding do not like 29ers. A 26er has the potential to have stronger, lighter wheels and tires and a better suspension. A 29er can maintain momentum over rough ground better. 

ooheadsoo

« Reply #283 on: 4 Feb 2010, 04:45 am »
I started getting interested in 29ers because I will probably put in most of my miles on the road, me being physically unable to tackle the technical challenges of your average singletrack.  Plus, all the trails around here are, in my mind, all uphill one way and all downhill the other, and I don't feel up to that challenge.  However, the large wheels seem like an absolute advantage on the road with the lower rolling resistance, and I actually like the very slightly numb way it handles.  I'm not the most confident rider and the stability is great when I'm sharing a sidewalk with pedestrians or have to avoid a telephone pole.  I haven't actually taken a 29er off pavement yet, but so far, on the road, the 29er fits my preference to a T.

The Fisher was a much better deal.  For just $200 more, I would have gotten a fox shock and x7/x9 all around.  While I will never use the fox shock the way it's meant to be used, I did really like the x7/x9.

Levi

« Reply #284 on: 4 Feb 2010, 05:36 am »
Just an fyi...my video that you saw with logs and jumps are diamond trails and difficult trails.  They do have easy trails, average singletrack and pave paths.  It is there so when your skill level and confidence are up, you eventually can hit the diamond trails.  :)

You will get better if you ride with better riders. 

I started getting interested in 29ers because I will probably put in most of my miles on the road, me being physically unable to tackle the technical challenges of your average singletrack.  Plus, all the trails around here are, in my mind, all uphill one way and all downhill the other, and I don't feel up to that challenge.  However, the large wheels seem like an absolute advantage on the road with the lower rolling resistance, and I actually like the very slightly numb way it handles.  I'm not the most confident rider and the stability is great when I'm sharing a sidewalk with pedestrians or have to avoid a telephone pole.  I haven't actually taken a 29er off pavement yet, but so far, on the road, the 29er fits my preference to a T.

The Fisher was a much better deal.  For just $200 more, I would have gotten a fox shock and x7/x9 all around.  While I will never use the fox shock the way it's meant to be used, I did really like the x7/x9.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #285 on: 5 Feb 2010, 02:36 am »

If you want to know what turns my crank and get's my heart pumpen, then check out this sic video. This is what I aspire to and hope one day to come close to. Maybe in a couple of years on my 50th.  8)

http://www.transitionbikes.com/Bikes_Blindside.cfm

Make sure to click the enlarge button if you have high speed.

Downhill mountain biking is addictive like crack, and twice as expensive.

Rocket_Ronny

ooheadsoo

« Reply #286 on: 5 Feb 2010, 03:28 am »
Those guys are smart, wearing helmets and protective gear.  The average downhill/freeride video I see on youtube consists of a guy in his t-shirt falling off a mountain side.

Levi, looks like you guys have some great trails and parks over there.  I'm not aware of anything like that here in LA.

Levi

« Reply #287 on: 5 Feb 2010, 04:09 am »
We do have lots of parks and great trails.  I help maintain it too. :)

Carlman

« Reply #288 on: 13 Feb 2010, 10:05 pm »
I'll be bringing my bike to NY this summer, then.. I'm planning a trip to NJ this summer.. so why not? ;) 

As to the 29er thing.. I bought a Stumpjumper 29er hard tail and was pretty dissapointed.  Stumpies used to be the cat's pajamas but unless you're 150 lbs., it is way too flexy and used cheap wheels.  The whole bike would lash under my 220 lb. body and ended up being a pretty harsh ride.  I tried to love it.. but couldn't.  The whole 29er thing was eclipsed by the poor choice of bikes for my riding needs.  In the end, I found 26" bikes fit me better in general.. but I'll take a 29er with a stiff frame and wheels over a flexy cheap 26" bike any day. 

It's rarely an apples to apples comparison when people talk about a 29er vs. a 26er.  It's the new bike vs. the old... and will vary greatly.  I have since ridden a few more 29er's and find that they do have a 'feel' to them that is not like a 26.  I can ride either fine.. but I don't like the extra height of the 29er... I've got 29/30" inseam and I like a compact riding position.  The 29'er feels more suited to a stretched-out riding position.. or a longer rider to me.  So, it's just not for me.. Plus there is a limited amount of gear for 29ers (especially forks and tires) that makes it tough when you're re-introducing yourself to biking and still trying to dial it all in..

I didn't mean to ramble on.. but so be it.. that's my thoughts on 29'ers.. ;)

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #289 on: 13 Feb 2010, 10:23 pm »
We do have lots of parks and great trails.  I help maintain it too. :)

Hey Levi, have you been to the park with a snow shovel that bike path lately?  :jester:   Funny what a difference a few weeks makes. Wasn't that long ago when you were riding and I was shoveling. Now folks are shoveling from NYC to Dallas, Tx yet here in Vermont, the ground is bare & the grass is turning green. I sure do miss shoveling terribly.  :eyebrows:

Cheers,
Robin

Levi

« Reply #290 on: 14 Feb 2010, 12:03 am »
I have not gone to the trails after the major snow storm.   

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #291 on: 14 Feb 2010, 12:36 am »
I have not gone to the trails after the major snow storm.

How much snow do you figure there is out there Levi? We got bare trails  up here in the valleys and plenty of snow in the mountains of Vermont,, til the next snowstorm makes it up the coast to us that is.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Levi

« Reply #292 on: 14 Feb 2010, 01:03 am »
I am not sure. I heard it was unridable in some places.

Levi

« Reply #293 on: 14 Feb 2010, 03:51 am »
I agree with you as far as the fitment and the way you feel about the bike.  That is very important. 

I'll be bringing my bike to NY this summer, then.. I'm planning a trip to NJ this summer.. so why not? ;) 

As to the 29er thing.. I bought a Stumpjumper 29er hard tail and was pretty dissapointed.  Stumpies used to be the cat's pajamas but unless you're 150 lbs., it is way too flexy and used cheap wheels.  The whole bike would lash under my 220 lb. body and ended up being a pretty harsh ride.  I tried to love it.. but couldn't.  The whole 29er thing was eclipsed by the poor choice of bikes for my riding needs.  In the end, I found 26" bikes fit me better in general.. but I'll take a 29er with a stiff frame and wheels over a flexy cheap 26" bike any day. 

It's rarely an apples to apples comparison when people talk about a 29er vs. a 26er.  It's the new bike vs. the old... and will vary greatly.  I have since ridden a few more 29er's and find that they do have a 'feel' to them that is not like a 26.  I can ride either fine.. but I don't like the extra height of the 29er... I've got 29/30" inseam and I like a compact riding position.  The 29'er feels more suited to a stretched-out riding position.. or a longer rider to me.  So, it's just not for me.. Plus there is a limited amount of gear for 29ers (especially forks and tires) that makes it tough when you're re-introducing yourself to biking and still trying to dial it all in..

I didn't mean to ramble on.. but so be it.. that's my thoughts on 29'ers.. ;)

ooheadsoo

« Reply #294 on: 15 Feb 2010, 12:06 am »
I'm not very demanding of the bike, so flex is a foreign word to me.  :scratch:  I've gone on some fun rides but haven't done any off road, yet.  I'm worried my local singletrack will be too difficult.  Btw, the new rockhoppers use the old stumpy m4 frame.
« Last Edit: 15 Feb 2010, 02:38 am by ooheadsoo »

drphoto

« Reply #295 on: 16 Feb 2010, 05:09 am »
Anyone know if there are still suspension forks available for the old oversize Cannondale head tubes from the early 90's? I'd like to start riding again.  I don't want to spend for a new ride, but the Manitou 3 fork on mine is shot (dead elastomers) and there are no replacement parts. Plus the travel of that fork is laughable by today's standards.

Carlman

« Reply #296 on: 16 Feb 2010, 05:11 pm »
I'm not very demanding of the bike, so flex is a foreign word to me.  :scratch:  I've gone on some fun rides but haven't done any off road, yet.  I'm worried my local singletrack will be too difficult.  Btw, the new rockhoppers use the old stumpy m4 frame.
When you do become demanding, frame stiffness will matter a lot.  When I rode through a rock garden on an ultra stiff frame, I was sold.  I have since enjoyed trails like Sourland in NJ.  I have since learned that what I do is called 'all mountain' biking, and not so much XC.  XC riders are typically fast... but they like less technical, more flowy trail systems.  "All mountain" means more technical, more extreme riding style.. and makes the bike kind of a cross between XC and downhill... kind of.. A really nice all mountain bike can weigh up to 30 lbs.. where as an XC of similar quality would weigh 25. 
Rockhoppers are a great place to start.. just keep riding it.. I rode something similar when I raced 20 years ago... just depends on what you need and can afford.  After a while, you will find that nicer bikes make it easier to ride harder stuff, though.. just like there's midfi and hifi... there's mid-level bikes and high-end... something for everyone.. and the 'does it make a difference arguments' as well. ;)

-C

PhilNYC

« Reply #297 on: 17 Feb 2010, 12:11 am »
Anyone know if there are still suspension forks available for the old oversize Cannondale head tubes from the early 90's? I'd like to start riding again.  I don't want to spend for a new ride, but the Manitou 3 fork on mine is shot (dead elastomers) and there are no replacement parts. Plus the travel of that fork is laughable by today's standards.

What diameter is the headset?  Early 90s is when the standard was still 1"...White Brothers offers suspension forks with a 1" steerer...

http://www.whitebrotherscycling.com/

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #298 on: 17 Feb 2010, 01:03 am »

I think they're 1.5 headtubes, which is a currently used standard. However, I can't recommend putting a longer travel fork on that frame. Those frames weren't known for their strength (these frames gave them the nickname "crack 'n' fail"), and a longer fork will put even more stress on the headtube. If it breaks off while you're hauling down a hill there will be carnage. You're better off buying a more modern, lightly used bike than trying to resurrect a nearly 20 year old frame that is known to fail, and it'll cost less in the long run anyway.   

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #299 on: 17 Feb 2010, 01:09 am »
If you want to know what turns my crank and get's my heart pumpen, then check out this sic video. This is what I aspire to and hope one day to come close to. Maybe in a couple of years on my 50th.  8)

http://www.transitionbikes.com/Bikes_Blindside.cfm

Make sure to click the enlarge button if you have high speed.

Downhill mountain biking is addictive like crack, and twice as expensive.

Rocket_Ronny

DH is the ultimate form of mt. biking, IMO.  :thumb:  It makes xc riding seem like a walk in the park.

Also, it's not nearly as expensive as auto racing, so there is that...

If you're in CO send me an email. I know of few fun places to take the DH bike nearly year-round.