Bicycling Off-Road

Carlman

Re: Bicycling Off-Road
« Reply #260 on: 10 Jan 2010, 02:32 am »
I need to take some photos.. I have 3 bikes at the moment.. My main ride is an '08 Turner 5-spot in smoke black.  I just built up a Fetish Fixation single speed.. it's a super awesome dark blue w/ matte finish.  That has been a fun ride.
I also have a Scattante Roma touring bike I've converted to a Cyclocross.. what a money pit.  I wish I'd just bought a CX in the first place.  However, I'm not sure CX'ing is for me... I've got to give it a shot and haven't found anyone that wants to do it with me.. It's tough for me to get into new things without a friend's enthusiasm.

Good on ya for getting out there in this cold... I'm taking a break today.  I'll get back to it tomorrow.. should be in the mid 30's.. balmy! ha.  If I don't ride tomorrow I have to go to a baby shower.. so not really a choice at all. ;)

-C

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #261 on: 10 Jan 2010, 02:44 am »

I rode my bike today @30F. :lol:

Funny thing, we hit close to 40 F today. From -40 to 40. Now that's a temperature swing.

Rocket_Ronny

Levi

« Reply #262 on: 3 Feb 2010, 03:52 am »
Here is a video that I took January 2010.  It was 20deg outside but felt like summer inside my jacket. :thumb:

Video was taken with two of my buddies with GoPro video cam.  Later in the end, you will see me wearing all black.

Cunningham Tundra January 2010 with Chute and Prancing
http://vimeo.com/9169965

"This video was taken during the cold days of January 2010 at Cunningham Park staring Chute and co-star Prancing Horse."

--Levi
« Last Edit: 3 Feb 2010, 05:51 am by Levi »

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #263 on: 3 Feb 2010, 04:21 am »
Hey Levi, what's the music being played? It goes well with that video which was too cool to begin with.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Levi

« Reply #264 on: 3 Feb 2010, 04:35 am »
Thanks Robin.  The first cut was "Rain U" by Alexie Aigui. 

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #265 on: 3 Feb 2010, 04:44 am »
Thanks buddy!  :wave:  I was a damn nice 20 minute ride from my Stressless recliner.  :duh:   :lol:  Let's do it again sometime.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

TomW16

« Reply #266 on: 3 Feb 2010, 04:45 am »
Awesome video Levi.  It is inspiring and I need to get on my bike and ride but the snow is a little deeper here in Nebraska, which is unusual.  Thanks for sharing.

Tom

ooheadsoo

« Reply #267 on: 3 Feb 2010, 05:22 am »

I just purchased this bike.  Rockhopper SL 29er.  I almost got a Fisher X-Caliber with fox shocks and all that but it just wasn't meant to be.  That would have been so sweet.  I get the feeling that I should have just gotten the regular RH comp disc 29er instead of forking over the dough for the SL, but what's done is done  :|

Levi

« Reply #268 on: 3 Feb 2010, 05:28 am »
Nice bike.  My friends on the video are rolling with 29er and they are fast.  It is almost like cheating.  :lol:   Chasing 29er makes me a stronger rider for sure!  :thumb:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #269 on: 3 Feb 2010, 05:39 am »
Here is a video that I took January 2010.  It was 20deg outside but felt like summer inside my jacket. :thumb:

Video was taken with two of my buddies with GoPro video cam.  Later in the end, you will see me wearing all black.

Cunningham Tundra January 2010 with Chute and Prancing
http://vimeo.com/9169965

"This video is taken during the cold days of January 2010 at Cunningham Park staring Chute and co-star Prancing Horse."

--Levi

Video and music.....pretty cool Levi.... :beer:

ooheadsoo

« Reply #270 on: 3 Feb 2010, 05:47 am »
Yeah, I saw some of those roots and trunks you guys were rolling over.  Scary!  But you guys made it look so easy.   :thumb:

I do like the 29er.  I imagine that I feel much more stable at slow speeds on it.  I don't think I would ever get a 26" bike again.  Actually, I hope never to get a bike again for at least 10-20 years.  I feel like I didn't make a smart purchase vs. the deal I could have gotten on the Fisher ($430 off MSRP on an 09.)  It would have been like getting the fox shock and sram x7/x9 for free.  They just didn't have it in my size.

Levi

« Reply #271 on: 3 Feb 2010, 05:55 am »
Thanks Chris.  Music sounds familiar huh.  8)

In my opinion, 29er suits taller riders.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #272 on: 3 Feb 2010, 06:03 am »
Music sounds familiar huh.

Sure does... :lol:

ooheadsoo

« Reply #273 on: 3 Feb 2010, 06:33 am »
I think I'm lucky I'm just built the way I am, as far as that goes.  At 5'10" but with a relatively short inseam, I would have thought I should fit a medium on a 29er but I still fit best on a Large 19".  I think even someone 5'5-5'7 could easily ride a 29er with the right geometry.  Maybe even shorter if riding a Fisher frame.  I suspect the handling will feel "slow" to someone who wants the agility of a regular mountain bike.

Levi

« Reply #274 on: 3 Feb 2010, 12:27 pm »
I think you hit it right in the head of the nail. ;)  Shorter than 5' 4" riders should go custom built frame if they want a truly great 29er.  Gary Fisher frame/fork combination would be an exception to smaller riders.

The Rockhopper SL 29 is a great bike. 

I think I'm lucky I'm just built the way I am, as far as that goes.  At 5'10" but with a relatively short inseam, I would have thought I should fit a medium on a 29er but I still fit best on a Large 19".  I think even someone 5'5-5'7 could easily ride a 29er with the right geometry.  Maybe even shorter if riding a Fisher frame.  I suspect the handling will feel "slow" to someone who wants the agility of a regular mountain bike.

PhilNYC

« Reply #275 on: 3 Feb 2010, 02:06 pm »
I read somewhere that 29ers are far more popular on the east coast than the west coast...which surprised me because it seems like east coast riding would be where having a smaller, more agile bike would be more advantageous...

BikeWNC

« Reply #276 on: 3 Feb 2010, 02:13 pm »
That looks like some well worn in smooth singletrack.  I've driven by that park so many times and never knew it was there. 

BikeWNC

« Reply #277 on: 3 Feb 2010, 02:15 pm »
I read somewhere that 29ers are far more popular on the east coast than the west coast...which surprised me because it seems like east coast riding would be where having a smaller, more agile bike would be more advantageous...
I am dubious about the advantages of 29ers.  But then I have never ridden one.  I hope to take a demo bike out this Spring.  I am concerned about the long wheelbase, weight and less than sprightly feel of the 29ers.  Guess I'll find out. 

PhilNYC

« Reply #278 on: 3 Feb 2010, 04:32 pm »
I am dubious about the advantages of 29ers.  But then I have never ridden one.  I hope to take a demo bike out this Spring.  I am concerned about the long wheelbase, weight and less than sprightly feel of the 29ers.  Guess I'll find out.

Yes, I've never ridden one either, so impossible to judge.  Hoping to try one soon...

G.Michael

« Reply #279 on: 3 Feb 2010, 06:24 pm »
In my opinion, 29er suits taller riders.

I feel like I didn't make a smart purchase vs. the deal I could have gotten on the Fisher ($430 off MSRP on an 09.)  It would have been like getting the fox shock and sram x7/x9 for free.  They just didn't have it in my size.

I'm 6'2" and ride an ‘09 Cannondale single speed 29er, XL frame.  It does roll along, but I agree that it's not as nimble as the nice 26" MTBs I've ridden.  To me, it's more than a matter of height when choosing the 29er--Weight is also a big factor.  I weight about 200 lbs, and the bigger wheels do better rolling greater mass across logs and rocks.  Yeah, a 29er is sort of the “big ride” of mountain bikes, but what a big ride it is!

I did have an ‘08 Gary Fisher X-Caliber (a 29er) that I sold after I went single-speed.  Nice bike, but I wouldn’t assume that it’s clearly superior to a Specialized Rockhopper SL 29er…Specialized makes some really nice bikes.   
« Last Edit: 3 Feb 2010, 08:24 pm by G.Michael »