Bicycling Off-Road

BikeWNC

Re: Bicycling Off-Road
« Reply #220 on: 31 Dec 2009, 09:03 pm »
My off-road rides:

This one goes up and down hills:

This one goes down stuff you can't even walk up:

They are both too clean.  I always wonder about a mtb that is so very clean.   :P  Put it this way, my wife would never let my mtb in the house!

Levi

« Reply #221 on: 31 Dec 2009, 09:35 pm »
Nice bikes you have there Dave.  :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #222 on: 31 Dec 2009, 09:42 pm »
I love my I9 hubs.  They are not louder than Chris King or Hope hubs.  However, if you hear them passing you like Zzzzzzz...that is a sound of quality :)

Levi! Dude, stop posting these eye candy pics!   :lol:  Indy Nine hubs and ceramic bearings, dang nice setup.  Indy Nine is made here in Asheville but I have yet to have the pleasure of riding them, they are loud though!

BikeWNC

« Reply #223 on: 31 Dec 2009, 09:45 pm »
I love my I9 hubs.  They are not louder than Chris King or Hope hubs.  However, if you hear them passing you like Zzzzzzz...that is a sound of quality :)

Levi! Dude, stop posting these eye candy pics!   :lol:  Indy Nine hubs and ceramic bearings, dang nice setup.  Indy Nine is made here in Asheville but I have yet to have the pleasure of riding them, they are loud though!

Like a swarm of angry bees!

Levi

« Reply #224 on: 31 Dec 2009, 09:47 pm »
To complete the Enduro ceramic bearing installation and maintenance checkup.  Here are a few more pictures of the bearings installed.

Clean hub and grease prior to drive mechanism installation

Front hub

Finished!

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #225 on: 1 Jan 2010, 03:00 am »
Very cool freehub mechanism... the pawls engage 18 teeth at one time and there's over 100 engagement points if I remember right. My Hopes have 24 engagement points and 4 pawls that engage a single tooth. Hope hubs have an annoying amount of bearing drag, I'm interested to hear how the ceramic bearings spin. 

How have the aluminum spokes held up?

BikeWNC, they get washed after each use because they are stored inside. I haven't made a space to fit the bikes in the garage yet.

Levi

« Reply #226 on: 1 Jan 2010, 03:19 am »
The aluminum spokes proves to be very strong and the wheels remained round and true after the breakin. As for the ceramic bearings, I will let you know once the bearing and seals are broken-in.  Hope Tech makes quality products.

I keep my bike inside as well.  That way, I can work on it while listening to good music!  Err, ok I love to stare at it and hear the hubs spin. Zzzzz...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

BikeWNC

« Reply #227 on: 1 Jan 2010, 04:03 am »
Very cool freehub mechanism... the pawls engage 18 teeth at one time and there's over 100 engagement points if I remember right. My Hopes have 24 engagement points and 4 pawls that engage a single tooth. Hope hubs have an annoying amount of bearing drag, I'm interested to hear how the ceramic bearings spin. 

How have the aluminum spokes held up?

BikeWNC, they get washed after each use because they are stored inside. I haven't made a space to fit the bikes in the garage yet.

I was just ragging on you.   :icon_lol:  Those are some nice bikes. 

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #228 on: 1 Jan 2010, 05:50 am »

I might as well enter the fray.

Here is my wife's steed.

My son with his prized Cove Shocker downhill sled.

Daddyo riding my beloved 08 Commencal Downhill Supreme. Wish I had a better picture of the bike. But as you can see, we like gravity.

Rocket_Ronny

Levi

« Reply #229 on: 2 Jan 2010, 10:02 pm »
Nice pictures Rocket_Ronny!  By the brand of your bike(s), you probably live in UK. 

Levi

« Reply #230 on: 2 Jan 2010, 10:04 pm »
With all this bike talk, do you actually ride?  What about today 30F? 

Levi

« Reply #231 on: 2 Jan 2010, 10:07 pm »
Today is actually better to ride with all the snow in the ground.  The trails are frozen but not icey so traction is good and not muddy. :thumb:

Let's ride!

BikeWNC

« Reply #232 on: 2 Jan 2010, 11:19 pm »
I got out yesterday for a family mtb ride with some friends in Smoky Mtn NP.  We rode on a closed gravel road along a beautiful mountain stream.  It was in the low 30s but we brought a stove along and made hot cocoa at the turnaround point.  There were several trees across the road from the recent snow but they were either easy carries or could be ridden around.  No pics though as my PnS camera had a dead battery as we left to go ride.  8 miles total. 

BikeWNC

« Reply #233 on: 2 Jan 2010, 11:20 pm »
Nice pictures Rocket_Ronny!  By the brand of your bike(s), you probably live in UK.
I was thinking Western Canada myself.

AB

« Reply #234 on: 2 Jan 2010, 11:58 pm »
I rode yesterday. 22 degrees, snow and ice on the dirt roads.

Thanks to these it was a giggle.

It seems Levi likes Rocket Ronny's tires.

Levi

« Reply #235 on: 3 Jan 2010, 12:46 am »
Keep riding guys!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #236 on: 3 Jan 2010, 01:00 am »
Keep riding guys!

I'd like to see you guys pulling that stunt up here in Vermont today. :duh:  Better be studdin' up them knobbies if you're bringing them bikes up here.  :lol:  Better yet, bring ski's!  :thumb:

Cheer's,
Robin

jackman

« Reply #237 on: 3 Jan 2010, 04:59 am »
Single digits in Chicago these days.  The only riding I'm doing is on the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine.  Boring as all hell but it beats riding the sofa  :icon_lol:.  I can't wait for 30 degrees. 

Cheers and thanks for the beautiful pictures.  I have never messed with my hubs, nor have I maineained them on my MTB.  They are old school, XTR's from the mid 90's.  The bearings are probably in sad shape.

J

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #238 on: 3 Jan 2010, 06:01 am »
I live in the Boulder area, there's usually good riding 11 out of 12 months. Thanksgiving to mid-January is usually pretty bad weather-wise, but I get out and ride at least once a week. Pueblo is 2 hours south and has some nice trails. I've been practicing bike skillz too, wheelies, endos, manuals, etc...

Rocket Ronny, nice jumps! DH is so much fun. I hope your boy doesn't ask why his bike is named the shocker. :lol:   

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #239 on: 3 Jan 2010, 06:11 pm »

Well the Commencal is from Europe but the Rocky Mountain and Cove are built in O'Canada where we live. Western Canada that is.

With 16" of snow on the ground, -5 f, and no studs on the tires we don't ride in the winter.

Also. Dave's spiffy new Treks makes me envious. They look so new and clean. A nice pick of gravity bikes there.

Rocket_Ronny
« Last Edit: 5 Jan 2010, 04:15 am by Rocket_Ronny »