Bicycling Off-Road

mcgsxr

Re: Bicycling Off-Road
« Reply #180 on: 18 Nov 2009, 09:00 pm »
I will have to scan some of the pics from northern India, from my trip there in 1996.

I have more pics of just the bike, as I was alone for portions, but if you can live with pics of an older Kona on the Rohtang Pass, and surrounding areas, you might like it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohtang_Pass

Levi

« Reply #181 on: 19 Nov 2009, 03:44 am »
Let see some pics of your old bike.  I have an old Litespeed Obed bought in '90's.  At least it has front suspension.   :lol:

Levi

« Reply #182 on: 30 Nov 2009, 01:31 am »
We went off-roading today at Glacier Ridge Nature Preserve in Long Island, NY.  It is 5miles away from Long Island Expressway, exit 63.  The singletrack is 12miles or so long and smooth, fast flowing trails.  Excellent Sunday workout!

As always, I am behind :lol:

and

jackman

« Reply #183 on: 30 Nov 2009, 01:29 pm »
Very cool movies!  I love that helmet cam.  It's like I'm there!  Also, very cool trails. How about some pictures of you going off a jump or down a very steep and dangerous hill?  That would be fun to watch!

PhilNYC

« Reply #184 on: 30 Nov 2009, 01:53 pm »
Levi, how/where is the camera mounted?  Is it around your neck?

Levi

« Reply #185 on: 30 Nov 2009, 02:48 pm »
Thanks guys.  The camera is chest mounted. 

PhilNYC

« Reply #186 on: 30 Nov 2009, 08:22 pm »
How did you mount it on your chest? 

Levi

« Reply #187 on: 30 Nov 2009, 09:19 pm »
I am using a GoPro camera.  :)

dub dub dub dot goprocamera dot com  :green:

Levi

« Reply #188 on: 22 Dec 2009, 03:06 pm »
There are so many aftermarket bottom brackets out there.  To name a few;  Blackspire, Chris King, FSA, Hope, Easton, Race Face, Truvativ, Token, and Wheels Manufacturing etc, etc, etc.  I always thought, how much improvement can those be against an already great XTR Shimano Hollowtech II BB?  Aftermarket bearings makes a huge impact in the way you feel about your bike.

My Hope ceramic BB has arrived. It is a work of art. It is totally made of aluminum (Shimano uses plastic tube).  Looks nice. It is indestructible.  Hope tech makes quality products and truly test their products in UK (rains a lot).  This is one of the many reasons I bought it.  It has the bling!  Too bad it will just disappear once installed in the bike. That's what we want isn't it?

Now that I have the Hope ceramic bb properly installed, I can only say that it totally disappeared!  ;D  Besides it is being hidden inside the frame, pedaling seems effortless.  Smooth is the proper term.  I like it.  It probably will not make me any faster but it sure feels good spinning the cranks.  It is all in the mind.  There are many aftermarket bottom bracket out there, I am sure you have a favorite one.

Thanks for reading.

Gun smoke color

External BB seal

Shimano XTR 970 and Hope BB

Properly clean bottom before installation

Proper torque settings for the cups

BikeWNC

« Reply #189 on: 22 Dec 2009, 03:21 pm »
Wow!  You've got it bad!  Ceramic bearings are the witches brew of cycling, like cables are to audio!   :lol:

Levi

« Reply #190 on: 22 Dec 2009, 03:35 pm »
I got the upgrade bug that is for sure!  However, unlike audio the results are not subtle.  ;)

jackman

« Reply #191 on: 22 Dec 2009, 03:38 pm »
I look forward to hearing about the longevity of this BB.  It's very cool looking!  My MTB still has old school square tapered spindle, Shimano BB-UN72 and I've had great luck over the years with this $25 BB.  I've driven through tons of nasty stuff (mud, streams, etc.) and this old technology holds up for years. 

The newer BB's (like your Hope) are cooler looking and lighter weight, and they are much stiffer (this is the big plus) and easier to replace.  From what I understand, the old style square taper BB's are more reliable, relatively bulletproof, cheaper and have less bearing resistance (maybe the ceremic bearings fix this last one).  Either way, I'll upgrade to the new style eventually (or just get the new ones on my next bike).  To make the change now would require a new crankset and I'm not sure my current bike is worth it.  If I had a Litespeed...different story!

Cheers,

J

Levi

« Reply #192 on: 22 Dec 2009, 03:50 pm »
I must agree.  Shimano makes excellent stuffs. 

My original statement as stated. 

How much improvement can those be against an already great XTR Shimano Hollowtech II BB?  Aftermarket bearings makes a huge impact in the way you feel about your bike.

bunnyma357

« Reply #193 on: 22 Dec 2009, 04:56 pm »
The newer BB's (like your Hope) are cooler looking and lighter weight, and they are much stiffer (this is the big plus) and easier to replace.  From what I understand, the old style square taper BB's are more reliable, relatively bulletproof, cheaper and have less bearing resistance (maybe the ceremic bearings fix this last one). 

As I understand it the newer style can be just as reliable, but proper installation is extremely important. The frame must be faced to ensure the cups are properly aligned, otherwise you'll have performance and reliability problems.

I skipped this step when I did a DIY install and had some issues, took it to a LBS that had the proper tools & had it fixed, and have been extremely happy with the performance ever since.

Jim C

Levi

« Reply #194 on: 22 Dec 2009, 05:41 pm »
If anyone is interested.  I dissected the Shimano XTR 970 BB.  It has 2 seals and a cartridge bearing inside it.  One can probably service it.  I know it says in all caps DO NOT DISASSEMBLE.  Well I did and was able to put it back together as it was.  :) 

My point is it can probably be serviced or replaced or upgraded.   ;)

Enjoy the pics!   

Shimano XTR 970 BB untouched

Bearing with the 1st seal removed

Bearing with 2nd seal removed and bearings exposed

Cheers,
--Levi

mfsoa

« Reply #195 on: 22 Dec 2009, 06:02 pm »
Hi Levi!

Just wanted to let you know about the Delaware and Raritan Canal State Park here in NJ.

It's been in the local news lately since they are completing a final link that will allow for something like a 70 mile continuous bike trail.

Starting just S of Milford (10 min past my house on the Delaware River) you can follow the Delaware S for 30 or so miles down to Trenton, and then continue NE along the Milstone River all the way to New Brunswick.

The trails are beautiful, well maintaned and since you are always near rivers there aren't many (any?) hills.

http://www.dandrcanal.com/

I'm certainly no expert on the whole system but I do know it's an amazing resource, esp for NJ, that not everyone knows about.

Worth putting on your "I'm sick of riding in the same place all the time, where else can we go" list.

Happy holidays

-Mike

Don_S

« Reply #196 on: 22 Dec 2009, 06:18 pm »
Quit slobberin' allover the bottom bracket and give some respect to the Merlin frame.  :drool: Beautiful art work two times on the bottom bracket assembly -- the Merlin logo and the graceful welds.

I have a Merlin road bike and the welds are truly the work of dedicated and skilled craftsmen.  AT least they were on my 1995 vintage bike.  They have probably been replaced by robots now.  Does anybody know if Merlins are still welded by hand?

Levi

« Reply #197 on: 22 Dec 2009, 06:21 pm »
Thanks Mike for the trails.  I will check them out in six months, maybe Phil will join. ;)

Levi

« Reply #198 on: 22 Dec 2009, 06:27 pm »
Hey Don, to this day, Merlin are still great frame makers.  They are still in business and being run by ABC (America Bicycle Co. in Tennessee).  The welds are perfect and the laser etched logos are works of art.  What really impressed me the most is the ride quality and performance.

Quit slobberin' allover the bottom bracket and give some respect to the Merlin frame.  :drool: Beautiful art work two times on the bottom bracket assembly -- the Merlin logo and the graceful welds.

I have a Merlin road bike and the welds are truly the work of dedicated and skilled craftsmen.  AT least they were on my 1995 vintage bike.  They have probably been replaced by robots now.  Does anybody know if Merlins are still welded by hand?

jackman

« Reply #199 on: 22 Dec 2009, 11:21 pm »
Levi, thanks for posting the pictures of the Merlin. Beautiful looking frame.  A gun in my group has an older Merlin road bike and it's still very cool looking.  He doesn't ride is often because of the bike's racing geometry (and my friend's 53 year old back) but I love the way the bike looks and handle.  His new bike, a CF Serotta custom is very cool but I'm a fan of the plain titanium tubes.  that look will never get old. 

cheers,

Jack