Bicycling Off-Road

Levi

Re: Bicycling in New York City
« Reply #160 on: 26 Oct 2009, 02:54 pm »
Thanks Gary for the video complement.  Since we are getting lots of rain, we have lots of different colors this time of the year.

jackman

« Reply #161 on: 26 Oct 2009, 10:15 pm »
Thanks Gary for the video complement.  Since we are getting lots of rain, we have lots of different colors this time of the year.

Very cool video and very beautiful scenery.  I went for a 40 mile ride (road) on Saturday in the freezing rain (last 15 miles or so) and had a blast.  Tested out my new rain gear (it worked!) but I need to do something about my feet which were soaked and frozen.  My feet were never this cold in my life but the ride was good.  I'm getting faster and losing weight, just in time to get fat over the winter.

Be careful on that mountain bike!  I was in a mountain bike accident about 6 years ago (maybe 7) and completely dislocated, separated my shoulder and broke clavicle.  Here is my cool battle wound-after painful surgery  :D:

Also, Cygolight 295 is on sale at performance.  I think they have an addl $20 off so it's $139.  If you join the Performance club, it's an additional $14 off so it should be around $126.  If you can get it at that price, it's worth the $$$.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1078299_-1_57000_20000_57004

jackman

« Reply #162 on: 26 Oct 2009, 10:18 pm »
very sorry, double post.  I'm an idiot.
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2009, 02:44 am by jackman »

Levi

« Reply #163 on: 26 Oct 2009, 11:50 pm »
Ouch!  That looks painfull Jack. :( How did you get that? I know MTB is a dangerous sport. I have scars to show it as well :) 

If you have not done the duck tape method (cover shoes with tape), it is worth looking at. Ha ha ha. I currently use SmartWool cycling socks and truly love it. I also have a Sidi MTB Diablo G-Tex shoes that keeps my foot warm and dry. 
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2009, 01:30 am by Levi »

Levi

« Reply #164 on: 27 Oct 2009, 02:27 am »
As far as trail lighting, I just bought a NiteRider MiNewt.400 dual.  They are 400 Lumens and has High, Low and Disco...blink, blink settings.  They are $214 at BrandsCycle dot com.  I have chosen the NR because I have owned one in the past, they are lightweight and the 25% off. 

Levi

« Reply #165 on: 27 Oct 2009, 02:29 am »
Get well soon Jack!

jackman

« Reply #166 on: 27 Oct 2009, 02:58 am »
Get well soon Jack!

Thanks, that's an old picture and I'm fully healed.  My surgery was 7 years ago.   I was hurt trying to hit a ramp at relatively high speed (20+mph). I guess I was too forward in the saddle because after I hit the ramp, I took a mean endo and landed on the top of my head.  It was a complete dislocation, separation, concussion, etc.  I was knocked out briefly and it didn't hurt until a couple hours later.  The surgery was bad but at least I didn't snap my neck and I no longer do stupid things on a bike if I can help it.  :D

Beautiful lights.  I really like those.  Plus, you should get great light coverage with the dual beams.  Niterider is a very good company, AND they are cool looking (maybe the coolest I have seen).  At that price, you did very well. 

Let me know how the battery life is, after you've had a chance to give them a good test.  If you get three hours on high beam, or in the ballpark, you are good to go.  I'm going to look into the duct tape and the warm shoes.  My Shimano shoes have vent holes on the soles.  Plus they are very ventilated.  Good in the hot weather, very bad in the cold/rain.  Tha was the hardest part of the ride.  I'm going to look for the shoes you recommended.

Adios,

J

Levi

« Reply #167 on: 27 Oct 2009, 03:32 am »
The picture looks fresh ;) 

Here's the actual lights installed and ready to rock!

guest46813

« Reply #168 on: 27 Oct 2009, 07:50 pm »
Levi, Excellent vid. I have to check out that cam.

Years ago, I lost a Shwinn factory team race bike in Singapore. I had components from Manitou,  Shimano, Maxxis that will be released to consumers 12-18 months later. Even 2 of the very best Kryptonite locks only took < 10 minutes to cut thru in broad daylight with zillions of folks around!

May be you should take a tour trek from Llaksa, Tibet to Katmandu, Nepal. Tour is quite cheap, since camping and chalets. It takes ~3 weeks inc acclimatization, ~1000km. You wil be going to Mt Everest base camp and passes at > 15000 feet. Awesome.

Levi

« Reply #169 on: 27 Oct 2009, 08:01 pm »
Hi Quoc,

Sorry to hear about your bike getting stolen in Singapore!  :o  I mean you get wacked for chewing a gum there.  I am paranoid about my bike getting stolen all the time.  I never leave my bike out-of-site.  Further, I even take my bike inside the bathroom.  Well Starbucks has big bathrooms.  He he he.  No problem with that in the woods when nature calls.

I knew about those trips in Tibet, or Nepal.  They are one of the things on my list To Do's before I go to heaven.  ;) .  We are talking about no internet or bathrooms for 3 weeks.  :)  It is man vs nature.  Awesome indeed!

Cheers,
--Levi
Levi, Excellent vid. I have to check out that cam.

Years ago, I lost a Shwinn factory team race bike in Singapore. I had components from Manitou,  Shimano, Maxxis that will be released to consumers 12-18 months later. Even 2 of the very best Kryptonite locks only took < 10 minutes to cut thru in broad daylight with zillions of folks around!

May be you should take a tour trek from Llaksa, Tibet to Katmandu, Nepal. Tour is quite cheap, since camping and chalets. It takes ~3 weeks inc acclimatization, ~1000km. You wil be going to Mt Everest base camp and passes at > 15000 feet. Awesome.

Levi

« Reply #170 on: 29 Oct 2009, 04:16 am »
My friends' Cannondale Prophet.  Picture taken at top of Awosting Falls.

Levi

« Reply #171 on: 4 Nov 2009, 03:22 pm »
Hi again,

Here is my 12yr old son's bike.  It is a Litespeed Obed with XTR group, Mavic Crossmax SL wheelset and SID race fork.  I always tell him, "lucky kid"!  ;)

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #172 on: 5 Nov 2009, 02:47 am »
Hi again,

Here is my 12yr old son's bike.  It is a Litespeed Obed with XTR group, Mavic Crossmax SL wheelset and SID race fork.  I always tell him, "lucky kid"!  ;)

No Lie Levi!!! That's a whole lot nicer than mine...

Levi

« Reply #173 on: 5 Nov 2009, 05:06 am »
So far he likes the bike so I am truly happy. :)

Here is a video that I took in Long Island at Stillwell Preserve.  It is a huge fast flowing single-track if anyone is interested.

Levi

« Reply #174 on: 7 Nov 2009, 04:24 am »
I really love night riding in singletrack. :)  Having a good wide powerful beam of light is all you need to have fun.  This is why I like the Light&Motion SECA 700.  I truly like its wide beam pattern.  It is 700 Lumen!  The performance of the SECA 700 compared to the MiNewt.400 is substantial.  The SECA made the MiNewt tiny ;).  I highly recommend, L&M SECA 700 for off-road and on-road commute.  During our night ride, I noticed that I can ride lots faster with the SECA.  It is easy to see the trails, drops and climbs.  Having a helmet mounted lights also helps.  Run time on the SECA 700 is @3 hrs on high (700 lumens) and exponential longer for Med, Low and Flash.  The SECA comes with Handlebar mount as well as Helmet mount, a smart charger and Lithium-ion battery pack.   The only thing I don't like about this unit is the wires are too long.  Perhaps, some wire management is in order. :thumb: 

Thanks for reading.

Levi

Re: Bicycling Off-Road
« Reply #175 on: 18 Nov 2009, 02:15 am »
Today, my Magicshine lights arrived.  The manufacturer claimed it as 900 Lumens.  For $80 the Magicshine is of great value.   So why not.  I went out in the woods today and compared it to my Light & Motion SECA 700 (700 Lumens).  Needless to say, the Magicshine falls short in the quality of beam pattern and light output :lol: .  However, the Magicshine is still a great light for the money.  Run time is 180 minutes in high settings (900 Lumens).  Definitely, I recommend the Magicshine to anyone looking for a great light for the trails.  If its good enough for the trails, it is definitely more than enough for road commutes.

L&M Seca 700 on the left and Magicshine on the right.

View from the cockpit

Side view

Cheers,
--Levi

PhilNYC

« Reply #176 on: 18 Nov 2009, 01:01 pm »
Levi...I recently had the chance to get back out on the trails...went to Blue Mountain in Peekskill, NY on Monday morning.  Was a great technical ride!  Have you been out there?

Levi

« Reply #177 on: 18 Nov 2009, 01:35 pm »
Hi Phil, no I have never been to Blue Mountain in Peekskill. I heard so much great things about it. I planned to ride next!  I think that is going to be an all-day mountain biking fun!

Please let me know if you are planning to go next time. I am basically geared for All year riding!  :)

PhilNYC

« Reply #178 on: 18 Nov 2009, 02:37 pm »
Trying to decide between a road vs. mtn bike ride this saturday.  If it's mtn, it will probably be up at Blue Mountain...

Levi

« Reply #179 on: 18 Nov 2009, 03:08 pm »

If it rains on Friday. Stay on-road!  :lol:

if it is nice and dry and perhaps you are up to some masochistic trail beating, you just let me knoe and I am there! ;)