Bicycling Off-Road

Lyndon

Re: Bicycling in New York City
« Reply #140 on: 21 Oct 2009, 01:45 pm »
Levi,
Here is the CandlePower Forum link.  These guys go nuts with the lights.  I'm just looking at lights for
autumn commuting to school.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=86

Lyndon

Levi

« Reply #141 on: 21 Oct 2009, 02:29 pm »
Thanks for the link Lyndon. 

A couple of guys at my MTB club are using MagicShine.  It is $89 bucks and has a light output of 900 lumens.  :lol:
http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_41&products_id=138&zenid=f7g91b52qmiqag50r0ifpoch93

Perhaps some LED lights are great too!  I am extremely happy with my HID lights.  All I need is a better helmet mounted HID lights. :thumb:

jackman

« Reply #142 on: 21 Oct 2009, 03:47 pm »
I picked up a Cygolite Mitycross 350 two weeks ago at Performance for $152 delivered (i had a $20 coupon) and it really kicks butt.  It is very small and lightweight.  The battery is light and it lasts about 3.5 hours on high.  My old light was a Nightrider halogen (old!) and this one is much better.  LCD technology is very impressive!

The light is also made in California. 

Here is a link:

cygolite.com

bunnyma357

« Reply #143 on: 21 Oct 2009, 04:01 pm »
I've been happy with a Marwi Nightpro Extreme, they seem to not be very popular, so you can find them on closeout sometimes for a lot cheaper than other HID's.

http://www.marwiusa.com/default.aspx?taxid=24&cid=productview&bbid=3&pid=43#52

One thing with HID's - they can interfere with wireless bike computers, so if you are doing any road riding where you need mileage for cue sheets that can be a problem.

Jim C

Levi

« Reply #144 on: 21 Oct 2009, 04:10 pm »
I started with Nightrider halogen before the proliferation of lighting and battery technology .  LED is the newer technology that I think will surpass halogen by 10 folds.

Levi

« Reply #145 on: 21 Oct 2009, 04:13 pm »
I did not notice interference with HID and computers.  I figured it is too dark to see with my non-backlit display computer. ;)

Levi

« Reply #146 on: 21 Oct 2009, 04:28 pm »
Ok 900 lumens candle power for road commutes maybe too much.  They are extremely bright and can blind people.  Perhaps some of them are for off-road use only.  Tsk...tsk...tsk...A combination of flashing and stationary lights is the best for commuting.  You get the attention from drivers and fellow cyclist that way.  Safe! 

I just love cycling.  I lost 10lbs riding bikes already! 5 more to go and I am slim again!  Not that I really care how I look, but I feel much better throughout the day.

I listen to audio when I get home, put the legs up and relax!  After getting cleaned up that's for sure. :thumb:

Lyndon

« Reply #147 on: 21 Oct 2009, 07:08 pm »
Levi,
Like Jackman, I also have a NightRider, but when it bites the dust, plan on these newer LED setups.
I also like that one that simply uses two rubber O rings to attach it to the bike handlebar.
Can't think of the name, but they are not cheap, running around $120 to $200.
You are also right about some of the lights being too bright, and thus, should NOT be used on a helmet attachment.  On the handlebars, you can get the direction down to the road.
I have to get on this as it is getting VERY dark for morning commute and when they implement the
daylight savings, it will be reversed.
Lyndon

Levi

« Reply #148 on: 21 Oct 2009, 07:51 pm »
You are probably thinking about those NiteRider MiNewt LED USB $100. :)

Levi

« Reply #149 on: 22 Oct 2009, 01:40 pm »
Hey Jackman, I just checked your Cygolite Mitycross 350 and they normally run $230!  Needless to say you got a great deal and great beam! 

I picked up a Cygolite Mitycross 350 two weeks ago at Performance for $152 delivered (i had a $20 coupon) and it really kicks butt.  It is very small and lightweight.  The battery is light and it lasts about 3.5 hours on high.  My old light was a Nightrider halogen (old!) and this one is much better.  LCD technology is very impressive!

Here is a link:

cygolite.com

jackman

« Reply #150 on: 22 Oct 2009, 04:29 pm »
Hey Jackman, I just checked your Cygolite Mitycross 350 and they normally run $230!  Needless to say you got a great deal and great beam! 

Here is a link:

cygolite.com

Thanks.  Just check Performance once in a while and you can find them on sale.  If you join the performance club or if you know someone who is a member (I think it's $20 to join), you get 10% off.  I think the sale was for $179 and he got $18 off plus I had a coupon for $20 from Performance.  The total was around $152 because of sales tax.  I picked it up at my local performance store. 

Also picked up a Topeak Joe Blow Turbo pump at Performance for $31.  That was the best $$$ I have spent in a long time.  This pump is excellent and easy to use.  Highly recommended.

Also, I used the Cygolite last night and it worked very nicely.  Batery was on high the whole time and showed no signs of fading. I have tested it (not yesterday because that was a short and fast ride) and I get over 3 hours on high.  The battery and light are very lightweight.  The lightest, brightest, longest lasting battery I have ever tried.  My neighbor has tried tons of LED's and this is the best one he's tried also. Did a quick 19 miles around town at night with my neighbor.  He's got a Powertap system (hub and computer) and he sent me a printout of route with elevation from the GPS.  I
have got to get one of those.  Very cool.

http://www.prowheelbuilder.com/product.php?prod_id=1437
J

Levi

« Reply #151 on: 22 Oct 2009, 04:45 pm »
That is one great computer package from Shimano.  Polar or Mavic did similar things.  I only have MTN bikes. Maybe one of these days, I will have both.

jackman

« Reply #152 on: 22 Oct 2009, 04:54 pm »
That is one great computer package from Shimano.  Polar or Mavic did similar things.  I only have MTN bikes. Maybe one of these days, I will have both.

It's made by Cycleops and is really cool.  After a ride you can download everything, route, elevation, average cadence, energy expended at any given point, mileage, speed, heart rate, etc.  It's expensive but great for roadies. 

Not sure I'd get it for a MTB because those things are not as important.  You aren't typically logging big miles but you have other challenges that are equally difficult.  This is a great thread, I've enjoyed it more than many of the audio threads!

Cheers,

J

Levi

« Reply #153 on: 22 Oct 2009, 04:58 pm »
Thanks!

Levi

« Reply #154 on: 26 Oct 2009, 02:35 am »
Today was a beautiful day to ride bikes 10_25_2009!

Taken at Lake Minnewaska, NY

guest46813

« Reply #155 on: 26 Oct 2009, 03:49 am »
Levi

I could not find a single spot of dirt or finger print on your MTB! at least not thru that cam. Plus can we see bigger air.

I just have to ask is it safe to ride in NYC with a $6000 MTB?

HID or LED light is good, but better is a NewCon NVS7 Gen2 night vision with a 60 degree FOV, just like your friendly Special Ops. 0.001 lux is all you need.

mjosef

« Reply #156 on: 26 Oct 2009, 03:58 am »
He dismounts often and wipes down the bike.  :lol:

Nice place for a swim Levi. aa

Levi

« Reply #157 on: 26 Oct 2009, 11:43 am »
Ha ha ha...you guys are killing me.  :lol:

Quoc, I spent more than that.  :oops:   I feel safer riding in the woods with friends but I also ride on the street with cars.   Going from Jackson Heights to Central Park is truly an adventure. :lol:

I invested some of my savings hopefully to better my health.  Also, It is a recession proof form of transportation.  So it is a win win situation. :thumb:  I don't like riding on mud as it impacts the environment and ruins the trails. 

« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2009, 01:57 pm by Levi »

Levi

« Reply #158 on: 26 Oct 2009, 01:09 pm »
If you have never been to a carriage trails, here is a video that I took yesterday at The Lake Minnewaska.  We covered lots of grounds that day and ended up in Mohonk National Reserve. :lol:  Trust me it is not all downhill.   :green:

I hope you enjoy my GoPro chest mounted video cam.

GBB

« Reply #159 on: 26 Oct 2009, 02:34 pm »
If you have never been to a carriage trails, here is a video that I took yesterday at The Lake Minnewaska.  We covered lots of grounds that day and ended up in Mohonk National Reserve.

Levi,
Cool video.  It reminds me of my days in NY.  I used to live about a 45 minute drive away from those trails and biked on them quite often.  It looks beautiful this time of year.  We don't have leaves and colors like that out in California.  Thanks for sharing the video. 

---Gary