Bicycling Off-Road

BikeWNC

Re: Bicycling in New York City
« Reply #100 on: 31 Aug 2009, 01:09 am »
Hi Carl, that is a nice video.  That trail is technically challenging.  It looks like one has to pick the right path and keep the momentum going.  It is easier with a full suspension bikes.  Hardtail bikes need to be precise and choose the correct line and balance.  My bike has a well balanced handling and equally responsive.  I am psyched to ride now! 

I think fireroads are great for family rides. :thumb:

Hey Jim, if we go pro we could probably have chiseled leg muscles.   I am not sure about shaving legs like most roadies do. :scratch:

--Levi

Wait until you get to be my age, you might change your mind.  The ground hurts.   :lol:

Levi

« Reply #101 on: 31 Aug 2009, 01:34 am »
I find it safer to ride off-road than to ride road with cars.  I have seen many motor bike accidents and it is not pretty.  NYC have many unfriendly, impatient and aggressive drivers.  :lol:  If you get hit with a car you might even die.  If you ride off-road and fall  on the rock might also die.  I'd rather be safe off-road since I have more control of my surroundings.  That's just me.    Cars kills!  :lol:

BikeWNC

« Reply #102 on: 31 Aug 2009, 01:46 am »
I find it safer to ride off-road than to ride road with cars.  I have seen many motor bike accidents and it is not pretty.  NYC have many unfriendly, impatient and aggressive drivers.  :lol:  If you get hit with a car you might even die.  If you ride off-road and fall  on the rock might also die.  I'd rather be safe off-road since I have more control of my surroundings.  That's just me.    Cars kills!  :lol:

I was comparing singletrack to fire roads.  If I lived in NYC, I wouldn't ride on the road either.  Well maybe Sunday mornings on the Central Park Loop.  I remember as a kid on LI we would ride over to Cold Spring Harbor at 4am to go fishing.  One kid had a generator light and we all rode down the middle of the road following the yellow line.  I doubt it would be safe to do that today.   :o  Nor would I let my kid do it.  My mom would just tell me to bring home some fish.   :lol:

Bemopti123

« Reply #103 on: 31 Aug 2009, 02:19 am »

I mean we live in a City with Janus like attitude towards cyclists.  On one hand, they paint all those bike paths here and there to make the city look bike friendly, and then, the do ticket blitzes, harass cyclists and do little to nothing to make anyone want to ride a bike.  It is a shame.  Especially because there are soooo many roads, streets, avenues that will take you places if you dare to go. 

When I lived in the Bronx, I remember riding almost 60 miles back and forth on my road bike.  My bro, his buddy and I got as far up to be able to see the Tappan Zee bridge, close to Valhalla in Westchester.  It took us not too long, about 1 and 1/2 hours to get there, coming back was much faster.

No helmet will overcome several tons of hulking steel ramming you to the ground.  One definitely will need to have a kamikaze attitude if you dare to be on the streets of NYC, without being a bike messenger.   :icon_twisted:

Levi

« Reply #104 on: 31 Aug 2009, 03:00 am »
Some of the marked bike route, class 3 (on-street signed route) are a joke.  Most do not have room for bikes and cars at the same time.   :scratch:

I rode my bike from Queens to Central Park and I have to agree that you have to have balls of steel to get there and back.  There is no way I will take my family on the streets of NYC.  I took so many chances of going in and out of traffic.  Almost like "Gung Ho" attack all out street assualt.  I felt like it is survival of the smartest.  :lol:  It sure is nice and peacefull once I made it in the park.  :thumb: 

No helmet will overcome several tons of hulking steel ramming you to the ground.  One definitely will need to have a kamikaze attitude if you dare to be on the streets of NYC, without being a bike messenger.   :icon_twisted:

Levi

« Reply #105 on: 3 Sep 2009, 03:24 pm »
I went to Cunningham Park, Queens and had a great time!  We actually have a Mountainbike park!  :thumb:  I managed to do 14miles of fun filled singletracks.  This park is well engineered and maintained by C.L.I.M.B which I am a member of.  The trail is clearly marked from easy to hard and Expert.  I love this park and it is only 30mins from my place via car.

Levi

« Reply #106 on: 3 Sep 2009, 03:27 pm »
Here is my GPS tracking trails that I took that day.  :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #107 on: 6 Sep 2009, 02:12 pm »
Here is a Cunningham Park trail map courtesy of Peak Mountain Bike. 

Lyndon

« Reply #108 on: 6 Sep 2009, 03:20 pm »
Looks good, Levi.
Can you "bunny hop" the Clearview Expressway?  :wink:
Lyndon

SET Man

« Reply #109 on: 7 Sep 2009, 04:51 am »
I went to Cunningham Park, Queens and had a great time!  We actually have a Mountainbike park!  :thumb:  I managed to do 14miles of fun filled singletracks.  This park is well engineered and maintained by C.L.I.M.B which I am a member of.  The trail is clearly marked from easy to hard and Expert.  I love this park and it is only 30mins from my place via car.

Hey!

Hmmm... I didn't know there's a park in Queens with MTB trial.  :o

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #110 on: 7 Sep 2009, 04:59 am »
They are hard to see because they are hidden in the woods.   :lol:

There is one in New York City aswell. :)

Levi

« Reply #111 on: 9 Sep 2009, 12:12 pm »
Looks good, Levi.
Can you "bunny hop" the Clearview Expressway?  :wink:
Lyndon

Hi Lyndon,

There is an overpass over LIE expressway linking the Mountain Bike park together.  The makes the park even longer. 

It is close to the city but you can definitely get lost in the woods.  :lol:

--Levi

eastwes

« Reply #112 on: 11 Sep 2009, 07:01 pm »
Great thread and great bikes!!!

Alright...  Guess I need to add my 2 cents...  My "mountain bike" is in the trunk of my car and I don't have a photograph of it.  Attached is a photograph of my "road bike".  It is a custom built steel bike (Columbus SL/SLX) with gorgeous Davidson lugs, Cinelli bottom bracket, Campy dropouts and a full Dura-ace group.  Oh, I forgot to mention that its a 650cc frame/wheels.  I'm short.  What can I say?!?.

Levi

« Reply #113 on: 11 Sep 2009, 09:31 pm »
That is a beautiful bike Wes.  I can see the red nipples sticking out! aa

SET Man

« Reply #114 on: 11 Sep 2009, 09:40 pm »
Hey!

Nice bike Wes. Maybe you, I, Levi and maybe others can take our bike for a spin around Central Park some time :D

Take care,

PhilNYC

« Reply #115 on: 11 Sep 2009, 09:58 pm »
Great thread and great bikes!!!

Alright...  Guess I need to add my 2 cents...  My "mountain bike" is in the trunk of my car and I don't have a photograph of it.  Attached is a photograph of my "road bike".  It is a custom built steel bike (Columbus SL/SLX) with gorgeous Davidson lugs, Cinelli bottom bracket, Campy dropouts and a full Dura-ace group.  Oh, I forgot to mention that its a 650cc frame/wheels.  I'm short.  What can I say?!?.

How big is your front chainring?  Maybe it's the relative size to your wheels, but that chainring looks huge... :o

Lyndon

« Reply #116 on: 11 Sep 2009, 10:42 pm »
Ah, Wes is using photoshop or some photography trick to make it look that big and macho! :lol:

Great looking bike, Wes.  I still think about listening to that 45 RPM of Ricki Lee Jones singing
Steely Dan.  Just fantastic! Thanks for being such a gracious host.  The fact that you remembered
that conversation with my sister and friend on the Brooklyn subway (we had never met), then we did meet you at the rave that weekend, is still one of my all time favorite weird stories in New York.
Thanks again!
Lyndon

eastwes

« Reply #117 on: 11 Sep 2009, 11:55 pm »
That is a beautiful bike Wes.  I can see the red nipples sticking out! aa

Thanks Levi.  That's all I'm going to say with respects to your post.  Leave the red nipples alone will ya!

eastwes

« Reply #118 on: 11 Sep 2009, 11:56 pm »
Hey!

Nice bike Wes. Maybe you, I, Levi and maybe others can take our bike for a spin around Central Park some time :D

Take care,

Sounds like fun Buddy.  Only problem is that you're ALWAYS working!!!  :banghead:

eastwes

« Reply #119 on: 12 Sep 2009, 12:00 am »
How big is your front chainring?  Maybe it's the relative size to your wheels, but that chainring looks huge... :o

Phil, the chainring is the standard size that accompanies a 165mm length arm.  You are correct in your statement that it is indeed the smaller 650cc wheels that create the illusion of the "huge" chainring.  The frame is 50cm by the way.   :wave: