Bicycling Off-Road

JoshK

Re: Bicycling Off-Road
« Reply #960 on: 19 Aug 2012, 10:58 pm »
Just got word, my wheel are holding my build up by a few weeks.   Turns out the distributor didn't have them in stock.  Anticipation continues. 

jackman

« Reply #961 on: 20 Aug 2012, 12:29 am »
Are you going to hold us hostage for months?  Come on, please spill the beans.  What bike did you get?  It's killing me.

JoshK

« Reply #962 on: 20 Aug 2012, 11:12 am »
Well I release part of it...  I am building up an IBIS SL-R with XT and the Shadow+ RD. 

jackman

« Reply #963 on: 20 Aug 2012, 11:14 am »
Doh!  Sorry, I just remembered.  Very cool bike. Can't wait to see pix.

JoshK

« Reply #964 on: 20 Aug 2012, 12:21 pm »
I've always had FOX, but have been reading a lot of buzz about RockShox of late, so I decided to try out a Revelation and see what I think.  Lots of buzz about X-fusion, but too few data points, so I decided to be conservative.

JoshK

« Reply #965 on: 20 Aug 2012, 12:29 pm »
Not mine, just the ad copy...

jackman

« Reply #966 on: 20 Aug 2012, 12:55 pm »
Beautiful bike!!!

Rockshox is now owned by SRAM and they make solid stuff. I'm a fan of Fox as well and don't think you can go wrong with either. Lookin forward to pix of the actual bike soon.

Cheers

J

Levi

« Reply #967 on: 22 Aug 2012, 12:30 pm »
Me and my son visited Industry Nine factory in Ashville, NC.  Even though they are so busy, Dave gave us the tour of their factory.  They are one of the most friendliest people in this planet.  :)

New Industry Nine signage

My new wheelset  ;D  (just kidding)

Bearings!

Ready for anodizing

Prawls mechanism

New Stealth hubs

Finished products

Bemopti123

« Reply #968 on: 22 Aug 2012, 02:53 pm »
I have had no idea that Industry Nine's factory, workshop were in NC.  Wow.  I have seen their wheels advertised here and there and had nothing but admiration for their design and reviews.  Good visit Levi! 

Levi

« Reply #969 on: 22 Aug 2012, 03:27 pm »
Thanks Paul!  It is a small company but they do everything in house.  Made in USA!

Bemopti123

« Reply #970 on: 22 Aug 2012, 06:56 pm »
America still makes the best.  No doubt about it.   :thumb:

mcgsxr

« Reply #971 on: 22 Aug 2012, 08:18 pm »
Nice ride Josh!

My Kula build is coming along.  Ran into some issues with the old M900 xtr rear der.  Picked up a used M952.  That spawned a 9 speed cassette and chain purchase. 

Getting there.

Levi

« Reply #972 on: 23 Aug 2012, 12:30 am »
Like!  :thumb:

America still makes the best.  No doubt about it.   :thumb:

Anodized bottle opener

jackman

« Reply #973 on: 23 Aug 2012, 01:28 pm »
Awesome looking openers!

Some good deals on Lynskey 29ers!  http://www.lynskeyperformance.com/store/m390-complete.html

I want that bike!

Levi

« Reply #974 on: 23 Aug 2012, 02:10 pm »
Thanks!  Lynskey knows how to make Ti29er.  That M390 could make for a great "retirement" bike.  ;-)

mcgsxr

« Reply #975 on: 4 Sep 2012, 02:05 am »
This past weekend I completed the bike project I have been working on for the past month or so.

I bought a 1995 Kona Kula off a neighbor for $50.  I know that it had been abused, but there were some good parts on it, and the frame was solid (if scratched up).

I set to work combing eBay, Jensen USA, Pinkbike and Kijiji for the parts I would need to build it up for getting back to riding.  I intend to use it for road training initially, and if I get back into it, I will buy a serious offroad rig.

I spent a total of $550 on the bike.  Some of the parts are used, but many were new.

Frame - Easton aluminum Elan tubset
Fork - Axima carbon rigid
Front wheel - Sun Rim with Avid rotor
Front brake - Avid BB5 with Avid lever
Front der - XT
Front shifter - XTR (900 vintage)
Seatpost - Syncros
Saddle - an old Scott
Rear der - XTR (952 vintage)
Rear shifter - XTR (952 vintage)
Rear brake - Avid V with Avid lever
Rear wheel - XT hub, Mavic rim, XT 9 speed cassette
Chain - XT 9 speed
Stem - Easton EA30
Bar - Bontrager XXX carbon
Cranks - LX with LX Octalink BB
Pedals - Wellgo M9 clipless (though the pic below still has the Wellgo flats on it)
Cables and housing - Jagwire outers, with teflon coated inners - all new for both brakes and der's

All in a 24lb ride.  I had some fun stripping off most of the original decals, and applied a few for fun - I added a 4 leaf clover to the headtube (had to do something that worked with that colour paint!), a Pinkbike sticker, and I had my online handle done up in gold for the downtube (mcgsxr).

Went out today for a 10 mile break in ride, it was good to be out there again!

Here's a pic of the Kona restomod.

Levi

« Reply #976 on: 4 Sep 2012, 03:53 am »
Bike looks new!  Good job on the build specially with the front disc update.  :thumb:

JoshK

« Reply #977 on: 4 Sep 2012, 09:35 pm »
Just did a 19km offroad ride yesterday at a new place to me, Mohawk Forest next to Halton Hills in Milton, Ontario.   My fitness is still pretty mediocre at best but I am building my base over the last couple months as I've been riding frequently.   This ride was in one word rocky!   More rocky than Jungle Habitat.  I've never seen so many rock gardens, big "rock overs" and sporadic rocks thrown in on otherwise dirt trails.   There was very little climbing overall but my legs feel like I climbed a few thousand feet. 

It was a great set of trails and very technically challenging!   Lots of features, mostly involving rocks and the occasional skinny or ladder.  Felt 3 times harder than riding the faster flow-ier backyard trails. 

P.S.  this was a tour of Mohawk by two of three of the trail builders, all in their 50's and 60's who could throw it down.   We had 13 riders in all and only two hardtails (I think both 29'ers).  Couple of FS 29'ers and the rest of us with 5-6" FS 26ers.   
I mentioned there was little climbing, which is true for the kms we did, but that said there were a couple of climbs that are easily the hardest climbs I've ever come across.   Doing a 2' step up at the top of a very steep climb is darn impossible, but to do successive ones made me have to hike a bike.  The trail builder Peter says he has only cleaned it once, 12 years ago.

mcgsxr

« Reply #978 on: 4 Sep 2012, 10:47 pm »
Josh, you should consider Kelso in Milton if you have not tried it, it is fun.  Pay to play, but some good trails.

Also there are some near Erin Mills in Mississauga that my friends hit 2-3 times a week (free).

Have fun out there.  I am still getting legs again, was out for 12KM yesterday. 

JoshK

« Reply #979 on: 5 Sep 2012, 12:12 pm »
Yeah I definitely want to try out Kelso.  I've heard of a couple dozen places outside of the city, but as of yet, I haven't even found all the trails in the don yet.   Most but not all.