JoshK

Re: Bicycling Off-Road
« Reply #920 on: 5 Aug 2012, 04:49 pm »
Can you past embedded videos here?

guess not.

mcgsxr

« Reply #921 on: 5 Aug 2012, 05:13 pm »
I am building up an old frame (1995 Kona Kula with Easton Elan tubeset).

I have purchased a bunch of goodies to get it up and running.

New parts:

FSA headset
ES51 BB
LX crankset with rings
8 speed SRAM cassette
8 speed KMC chain
rear derailleur jockey wheels
seatpost clamp
bolt on grips
derailleur cables
rear brake cable
cable housings
Easton EA30 stem

Bought used:

XTR rapidfire front and rear shifters
Tektro Auriga front hydraulic brakes - some issues, I may have to buy another set of front brakes
flat pedals - but I have NIB Wellgo clipless I will consider

Reusing from previous bikes:

Carbotech rigid carbon forks
Raceface bars
XTR rear der
XT front der
rear Avid V brakes and lever
Syncros seatpost
Scott saddle
front and rear wheels (front with a disc on it, rear V brake)
slicks to start with for road training

Should be fun!

JoshK

« Reply #922 on: 5 Aug 2012, 09:07 pm »
very cool...Burlington isn't that far from me... if you ever want to meet up on a weekend and explore trails outside of our locals let me know.

Just finished upping a short vid of me doing a local stunt trail known as Dr. Quads  (for your "quads are burning" from the steep climbs in and Dr. Quadrapeligic for if you fall).  https://vimeo.com/46971649

JoshK

« Reply #923 on: 5 Aug 2012, 11:43 pm »
This is called Fruitloop, two gnarly climbs in, one I am not even sure is doable.  Ends with a threesome of two footers.   I didn't add me walking up the climbs.  :oops:
https://vimeo.com/46981964
« Last Edit: 6 Aug 2012, 09:16 pm by JoshK »

J-Pak

« Reply #924 on: 6 Aug 2012, 09:22 pm »
I spent most of Sunday riding the ASR-5, it was a fantastic bike and a lot of fun. I kept thinking back to the Santa Cruz's and their VPP which made for such a sweet ride.

I am leaning towards a Tallboy LT right now. One with Revelation RL 140 has special pricing discount with mostly SLX components, it is quite a significant discount (RAM29): Kit description and costs. And then maybe slowly upgrading components down the road. Does anyone know if LBS discount these bikes in the off season? I was told Yeti does not since they are kit bikes and built to order, I believe SC is the same. 

I have not ridden the Revelation RL 140. The demo I rode had a Float 34 140 FIT. What would be the big differences between these two forks? The Rock Shox is actually a tiny bit lighter than the Fox.

coke

« Reply #925 on: 7 Aug 2012, 12:30 am »
Here's what replaced my yelli screamy. Really like it so far except for the weight which is 31-32 pounds.  Ordered a lighter set of tires today.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #926 on: 7 Aug 2012, 02:20 am »
I spent most of Sunday riding the ASR-5, it was a fantastic bike and a lot of fun. I kept thinking back to the Santa Cruz's and their VPP which made for such a sweet ride.

I am leaning towards a Tallboy LT right now. One with Revelation RL 140 has special pricing discount with mostly SLX components, it is quite a significant discount (RAM29): Kit description and costs. And then maybe slowly upgrading components down the road. Does anyone know if LBS discount these bikes in the off season? I was told Yeti does not since they are kit bikes and built to order, I believe SC is the same. 

I have not ridden the Revelation RL 140. The demo I rode had a Float 34 140 FIT. What would be the big differences between these two forks? The Rock Shox is actually a tiny bit lighter than the Fox.

My friend has the Rev 140 on his Yelli, then changed it to a Kona FS 29er recently. He really likes it, more than Fox air forks. I hear the same from my a friend's bike shop, that shorter travel RS air forks are kicking butt.

Looks like a good deal on the Tallboys!

JoshK

« Reply #927 on: 7 Aug 2012, 04:37 pm »
So yesterday I went out to the main trail and was riding some of the stunts while filming with my GoPro (I like to share with family).  I cleaned most of the stuff except a few.  I did a 4' drop to flat on the "neck breaker" when I started to loose balance.  That didn't hurt, just got a little dirty.   Did another skiiny too quickly and hit a nearby tree with some minor scraps, didn't hurt.

But I tried to go up a ladder that is really meant for the down direction, which I do all the time.  I've never made it up yet, but typically I can put a foot down and then walk up the rest.  This time I missed and fell 3-4' to hard dirt and managed to hurt my shoulder in the process.   I guess doing all this pretty hung over wasn't a good idea. 

I'll post some of the clips later, it was funny, even though it hurt.

coke

« Reply #928 on: 7 Aug 2012, 05:45 pm »
So yesterday I went out to the main trail and was riding some of the stunts while filming with my GoPro (I like to share with family).  I cleaned most of the stuff except a few.  I did a 4' drop to flat on the "neck breaker" when I started to loose balance.  That didn't hurt, just got a little dirty.   Did another skiiny too quickly and hit a nearby tree with some minor scraps, didn't hurt.

But I tried to go up a ladder that is really meant for the down direction, which I do all the time.  I've never made it up yet, but typically I can put a foot down and then walk up the rest.  This time I missed and fell 3-4' to hard dirt and managed to hurt my shoulder in the process.   I guess doing all this pretty hung over wasn't a good idea. 

I'll post some of the clips later, it was funny, even though it hurt.

I’ve had off days like that.  A couple months ago my friend had a “riding” birthday party.  He has a mx track with jumps and a 2.5 mile cross country track at his house.

I almost never wreck, but that day I laid my Honda CR125 dirt bike over twice, rolled a Polaris RZR, and then had a pretty bad wreck on my Honda 450r 4wheeler where I ended up face down on the ground with it upside down on my back. 

JoshK

« Reply #929 on: 7 Aug 2012, 11:48 pm »
A new toy...  :icon_lol:  local guy was selling it dirt cheap (pun?) and I have wanted a bike that I could practice manuals, and other stunts on, that is easier to feel than FS.  Plus we have a pump track/DJ track next to our single track.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #930 on: 8 Aug 2012, 12:10 am »

Looks like fun. Nice shape too.

So what is your age - aprox.- doing all this bike, trick, stuff.

I am turning 30 this year because ever since I turned 40 I started counting backwards.

Rocket_Ronny

JoshK

« Reply #931 on: 8 Aug 2012, 12:17 am »
I'll be 37 this summer.  When I was a kid I lived next to one of the national BMX tracks in Sumner, WA and did a lot of freestyle (broken arm, a few stitches, nothing too major).

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #932 on: 8 Aug 2012, 12:19 am »

A young pup. Good to see. Not as young as me though, although I can't manual a bike.

Rocket_Ronny

JoshK

« Reply #933 on: 8 Aug 2012, 12:30 am »
Can't really say I can either...for any length of time that is....I can ride a wheelie so-so.  That is the point, to get a bike that I could practice that on.   I want to learn to do a zap-tap cleanly....I can sorta, but they look terrible.  I want to learn pedal kicks.  I'm sure I'll go to the jump track, but I can't see myself getting serious at that.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #934 on: 8 Aug 2012, 12:37 am »
I'll be 37 this summer.  When I was a kid I lived next to one of the national BMX tracks in Sumner, WA and did a lot of freestyle (broken arm, a few stitches, nothing too major).

Nice dj bike! I'm turning 38 this fall...  :evil:

I can't wheelie or manual too well, but I'm not disciplined enough to practice much. I can ride a wheelie for a few pedal strokes and manual for a short distance. Gotta get my bunny hops down better too.

If you guys haven't seen the video "Fluidride: Like a Pro", it's well worth checking out, great skills vid. Has some material on jumping you won't find elsewhere, I'm working on counterdirectional steering off jumps (moto whip and hip jumps). I think I need a lesson though, going to check out WP's top level lessons this year... 

http://fluidride.com/fluidride-like-a-pro/

JoshK

« Reply #935 on: 8 Aug 2012, 12:56 am »
Thanks for the tip.   Zap-taps are top on my list as they are a real MTB skill you can use everywhere.   Just in case others aren't familiar, they are in the vein of a bunny hop, but different in useage of a pedal kick.   Say you are coming up to a big log, big enough that your chain ring won't clear it without bashing.   Most just bash, but a real quality stunt is to Zap-tap.

The idea is you pedal stroke to bring the front tire up on-top the log (not over) and then you pedal kick and un-weight the back, so it naturally jumps the back over the log without bashing.   It has to be done quick in a fluid motion.  Its hard. 

JoshK

« Reply #936 on: 8 Aug 2012, 12:58 am »
The guy who sold me my TranceX did a zap-tap tutorial vid...but you can't really see his feet, as his pedal kicks are very subtle.

coke

« Reply #937 on: 8 Aug 2012, 02:05 am »
26 here

I've been on dirt bikes most of my life.  80 foot jumps are commonplace on those.  Manuals, bunny hops, skinnies, fast downhills, and jumps on mountain bikes are my idea of slowing down  :lol:

JoshK

« Reply #938 on: 8 Aug 2012, 02:14 am »
26 here

I've been on dirt bikes most of my life.  80 foot jumps are commonplace on those.  Manuals, bunny hops, skinnies, fast downhills, and jumps on mountain bikes are my idea of slowing down  :lol:
  Sounds like someone I want to ride with, along with Dave!   Never done an 80' that I can think of...been a long time since I've jumped seriously.    Just small drops here and there.   We have a 6' drop on our trail, haven't done it but scoped it out a few times...

coke

« Reply #939 on: 8 Aug 2012, 02:24 am »
This is the biggest jump i've hit on a mountain bike.  Did it on my yelli screamy, but I didn't have a cam at the time though. I think the gap is less than 30 feet, but there is no room for error.  If you come up short, you basically crash into a 6' vertical wall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4SxOh4kqmM&feature=autoplay&list=UU7LhFX15YLLy9stY83WuQ2w&playnext=4