Bicycling Off-Road

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: Bicycling Off-Road
« Reply #900 on: 31 Jul 2012, 02:24 am »
Thanks Dave, I don't actually do all AM riding, most of the riding is probably technical/advanced trail. But I do some AM when I am not riding with friends, but it would not comprise the majority of my riding, which is why I was looking for a bike with a bit more travel like the Stumpy FSRs while still remaining light enough for climbing or flats. I think 120-140 up front is about all I'd need for now. I plan to replace the wheels with whatever bike I get with some custom tubeless ones from a friend down south. I'll see if I can ride a Nomad (or carbon) next time SC is in town. My guess is they'll be out of my budget though.

My budget is under $3000 purchased in the off season (not factoring in the custom wheels), and I'll gladly take any savings below that to put towards vinyl :icon_lol:

I hear you on price, I picked up my Trek Remedy right after x-mas '08 for a 40% discount. It was a basic model, but after a few years there's no stock parts left and I'm on my 2nd frame after a bad crash. Most bikes these days are very good and the geometry is converging to the point where there are mostly minor differences between brands so price was a major factor for me too.

If you're not going for a 6+" AM bike, I'd try to keep the bike as light as you can afford, as most mellower trails are more fun on a light and fast bike. If it's your only bike a burlier 150mm trail bike like a Trance X, Trek Remedy, etc... might be a good choice. Also, a fork with a 15 or 20mm thru axle is something I would look for, with 150mm travel. A bike like this can end up in the mid 20 lb range and would be my choice for an xc bike (or the equivilent 29er, would take me some test rides to figure it out). Although, I rode with a guy on a 20 lb carbon Niner hardtail last week, setup 1x10.... I would love a bike like that too...

coke

« Reply #901 on: 31 Jul 2012, 02:46 am »
The wrong bike is still too expensive even if it is cheap.   Same with audio.

Yes, I agree.  Just wondering how much worse a xc fs could handle on rough rocky terrain than a hardtail like the yelli.

I would be saving enough with this to keep my yelli frame though for when i want to get some air  :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #902 on: 31 Jul 2012, 02:55 am »
Me and my friend Mikex picked up our race packet and rode the Dark Horse 40 race course today.  Stewart State Forest single track is in great shape.  Stewart State Forest houses one of the best single track in upstate New York.  We had lots of fun there today.  Cheers!

Front

Back

Out Post

Dark Horse Cycle

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #903 on: 31 Jul 2012, 03:03 am »
Yes, I agree.  Just wondering how much worse a xc fs could handle on rough rocky terrain than a hardtail like the yelli.

I would be saving enough with this to keep my yelli frame though for when i want to get some air  :thumb:

Could be quite a bit worse... the Jet 9 takes a short xc fork and has a very steep HA. I rode a bike like it, the Intense Spider 29er, and while it was the best climbing bike I've ever rode, it was a little too twitchy for me overall. A friend of mine has a Yelli, and I have only pedaled it around a bit, but it had a 150mm fork and the geometry felt a lot more laid back vs a xc race bike. I'd be more comfortable on the Yelli vs a Jet 9 even without the rear sus.

AB

« Reply #904 on: 31 Jul 2012, 06:33 pm »

coke

« Reply #905 on: 31 Jul 2012, 07:01 pm »
Also helps to know how to use your brakes  :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZdQeIZ5hWXo

JoshK

« Reply #906 on: 1 Aug 2012, 03:39 pm »
That last dude looked like he was falling asleep on the bike.  Looks pretty exhausted.  Wonder if that was an enduro race. 

coke

« Reply #907 on: 1 Aug 2012, 03:55 pm »
I went to buy the used Jet 9 and fork last night.  I had 30 minutes to kill, so I stopped by a bike store to see what they had.

There were several 2012 jet 9 and rip 9 frames for sale at closeout prices.  After a little negotiation, the deal on the rip 9 was just too good to pass up.  After tax, the price was still significantly lower than any I've seen online.  It also feels good to spend money locally, and the 2 year warranty is comforting.

I set a new record for myself last night also. I had the complete bike built up in less than 2 hours.  Everything from my yelli frame swapped over perfectly.  2 exceptions are that my chain was a little short and I now need a bottom pull derailleur, but the bike is rideable.

Initial impressions are that the rip is going to work well for me.   Not as nimble as the yelli, but much more comfortable.   It doesn’t manual or bunny hop as easily, but I haven’t had a chance to play with spacers under the stem or adjust the rear shock yet.  I bottomed out the shock jumping off an 8” ledge, so I know it doesn’t have near enough pressure.    Even with the shock this soft though, I was impressed with how little bob there was.  It pedals a lot better than my friends 08 26” stumpjumper fsr.

I have a ride planned today after work.  Can’t wait  :D

JoshK

« Reply #908 on: 2 Aug 2012, 01:18 am »
Congrats on the new bike!   I took my 29'er out for a spin today.   I can definitely tell my fitness has improved very quickly in the last couple of weeks.   The 1.85lbs of rolling weight lost is definitely noticeable.   Tubeless is awesome too.  I just feels better in a hard to describe way (for me anyway). 

I still prefer riding the FS 26'er.  But its fun to ride the HT 29'er too.  Makes you a bit more honest on your lines (we have roots galore), but I don't like the way it handles in fast and tight corners.  Could be my lack of skillz, but the 26'er rails better. 

coke

« Reply #909 on: 2 Aug 2012, 10:31 am »
It's sometimes difficult for me to rail corners. I've been on dirtbikes most of my life, so I'm used to having a hand full of throttle at my disposal :lol:   I have switched back to flats though, so I can at least stick my inside foot out now when needed.

jackman

« Reply #910 on: 2 Aug 2012, 01:22 pm »
I use Shimano platform clip ins. They are for downhill and have a big platform and are easy to use when you are not clipped in.  They are heavy but not too bad.

JoshK

« Reply #911 on: 2 Aug 2012, 03:33 pm »
yeah I am mostly rocking flats these days given that I like to do skinnies and such and don't have confidence to bail as quickly as needed in clips.  There are only a couple time (<5%) on my rides where I wished I was clipped in.   510 shoes and TwentySix pedals is almost like being clipped in. 

coke

« Reply #912 on: 2 Aug 2012, 06:25 pm »
Yeah, i'm using 510 shoes and Canfield Crampon Ultimate pedals.  Actually have to lift my foot off the pedal in order to move it around.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #913 on: 3 Aug 2012, 06:27 pm »
Hi Guys:

We are moving from our wonderful back country home, and I mean back country, to suberbia. I sold my Can Am 800 Max XT last week and just put up a off road bike trailer on Pink Bike. You might find it interesting. It was built so we could take the bikes up unridden mountains. The move into town forces me to get rid of stuff. I don't know how we are going to shoe horn ourselves into an urban shack.

Pink Bike Ad: http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1149591/

Rocket_Sad_Ronny

J-Pak

« Reply #914 on: 3 Aug 2012, 07:41 pm »
I hear you on price, I picked up my Trek Remedy right after x-mas '08 for a 40% discount. It was a basic model, but after a few years there's no stock parts left and I'm on my 2nd frame after a bad crash. Most bikes these days are very good and the geometry is converging to the point where there are mostly minor differences between brands so price was a major factor for me too.

If you're not going for a 6+" AM bike, I'd try to keep the bike as light as you can afford, as most mellower trails are more fun on a light and fast bike. If it's your only bike a burlier 150mm trail bike like a Trance X, Trek Remedy, etc... might be a good choice. Also, a fork with a 15 or 20mm thru axle is something I would look for, with 150mm travel. A bike like this can end up in the mid 20 lb range and would be my choice for an xc bike (or the equivilent 29er, would take me some test rides to figure it out). Although, I rode with a guy on a 20 lb carbon Niner hardtail last week, setup 1x10.... I would love a bike like that too...

My local LBS has a Yeti ASR-5 in medium they will demo, which is great since that's my size. Hopefully I will have a day this weekend where I can spend most of the day on the trail. Reviews make it sound like a fast, fun bike and the base model is in my price range. I'm not sure what the weight of this bike is, but my high side guess is around 27-29 lbs.

JoshK

« Reply #915 on: 4 Aug 2012, 03:29 pm »
That looks like a cool trailer. 

Levi

« Reply #916 on: 4 Aug 2012, 03:39 pm »
Dark Horse 40 Race is this Sunday.  http://www.darkhorse40.blogspot.com

It is time to get serious and start racing.  LOL!

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #917 on: 4 Aug 2012, 05:02 pm »
My local LBS has a Yeti ASR-5 in medium they will demo, which is great since that's my size. Hopefully I will have a day this weekend where I can spend most of the day on the trail. Reviews make it sound like a fast, fun bike and the base model is in my price range. I'm not sure what the weight of this bike is, but my high side guess is around 27-29 lbs.

That's a nice bike, have fun!

@Rocket Ron, nice bike trailer (and bikes!). One of my friends just did the same thing except it's more an on-road trailer he can haul with his Hinda Fit.

JoshK

« Reply #918 on: 4 Aug 2012, 10:16 pm »
That is meant to be a hard ride.  Where is it held?  I knew a few people that always compete.  Far beyond my fitness level.   I just did 13km offroad today and am feeling it.   There isn't a lot of long climbs but there a *lots* of steep short climbs.   If you have strava...

http://app.strava.com/rides/16515687

This is not the fast flowy part, this is techy, some monstrous switchbacks and lots of manmade bridges and such. 

JoshK

« Reply #919 on: 5 Aug 2012, 02:54 pm »
Anyone have a GoPro HD?  What program do you use to edit video footage?   I have one and took some footage but never played with editing before.   There is too much filler.