Bicycling Off-Road

JoshK

Re: Bicycling Off-Road
« Reply #840 on: 13 Jul 2012, 02:41 am »
I was just teasing....I have no issues with spending money on a healthy hobby.

Levi

« Reply #841 on: 13 Jul 2012, 06:32 am »
N.P. Josh.  I totally agree for investing for your health. 

I was just teasing....I have no issues with spending money on a healthy hobby.

coke

« Reply #842 on: 13 Jul 2012, 12:24 pm »
Pro2 hubs are ultra loud. I sold mine because they are LOUD! I like DT hubs, if your 350 has the plate-type engagement DT sells 36 pt plates as an upgrade for the stock 18 pt plates.

I wasn't aware of the noise.  A friend of mine is close to 300 pounds and is on a very cheap wheelset.  Always breaking spokes and having to true wheels.  I might end up passing these along to him for a good price.

I converted mine to 36pt.  It really makes a difference in slow technical rocky areas.

JoshK

« Reply #843 on: 13 Jul 2012, 12:49 pm »
N.P. Josh.  I totally agree for investing for your health. 

Let us know how those brakes work.  I am assuming they are hydraulic? 

JoshK

« Reply #844 on: 13 Jul 2012, 12:58 pm »
My park tools scale showed up.  As I suspected, my seat+seatpost are pigs, 362g+335g respectively.  Pretty easy to shed a half pound right there.  I think I am going to pick up a Thompson seatpost and go to my LBS and find a comfortable saddle, never like this one anyway.

jackman

« Reply #845 on: 13 Jul 2012, 06:34 pm »
Thopmson posts are great. They are light and strong.  You might want to check out one of their stems. Wheels are a good option for taking weight from your bike. 

I'm going for a ride tonight!

jackman

« Reply #846 on: 15 Jul 2012, 03:02 pm »
Interesting article on the affect of weight. you need a substantial reduction to make a difference. For a non racer it may not be worth it.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/05/bikes-and-tech/technical-faq/tech-faq-does-bike-weight-matter_220429

Levi

« Reply #847 on: 15 Jul 2012, 03:07 pm »
I do race and it makes a huge difference.

That makes sense because if you are not going to race, why make it lightweight right?  Recreational riders use tall gears and go crawl pace.  Specially if you ride by yourself.

However, if you are riding with a group of fast guys. You may want to consider getting all the advantage you need to be efficient.

Heavy bike handles like an SUV vs a lighter bike which handles like a Nissan Maxima.  However, you only notice the difference when you go fast. LOL!

jackman

« Reply #848 on: 15 Jul 2012, 04:48 pm »
Yep, I agree weight makes a difference, but maybe not as much as most people assume.  The article used a significant decrease in weight, 4 lbs and a huge hill of 20% grade to illustrate the difference.  Most rides around here at not climbing those types of hills and the difference in speed would be unnoticeable on flats and less on typical hills like he ones around here. Maybe dropping bike weight makes more sense for people in steep hilly areas.

Lastly, I believe handling has more to do with design and geometry than it does with weight. I'm not sure lighter bikes are necessarily better handling.  Some lightweight designs or components can be less durable or have weight limits.  Doesn't this potentially negatively affect handling?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #849 on: 15 Jul 2012, 05:37 pm »
In general, lighter mt bikes are more fun to ride. That's the only reason I need.  :thumb:

bhakti

« Reply #850 on: 15 Jul 2012, 05:52 pm »
IMHO, I think decreasing the rotational mass is worthwhile.

In my case, decreasing the rotational mass by purchasing lighter wheels did make a noticeable difference in climbing steep technical sections.  I found I could accelerate quicker, which helps when you need that burst to get you through the gnar.  :D

The trade-off is that extra mass might carry you down a little smoother.

Doublej

« Reply #851 on: 15 Jul 2012, 06:10 pm »
Yep, I agree weight makes a difference, but maybe not as much as most people assume.  The article used a significant decrease in weight, 4 lbs and a huge hill of 20% grade to illustrate the difference.  Most rides around here at not climbing those types of hills and the difference in speed would be unnoticeable on flats and less on typical hills like he ones around here. Maybe dropping bike weight makes more sense for people in steep hilly areas.

Lastly, I believe handling has more to do with design and geometry than it does with weight. I'm not sure lighter bikes are necessarily better handling.  Some lightweight designs or components can be less durable or have weight limits.  Doesn't this potentially negatively affect handling?

It sure does when it breaks   :)

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #852 on: 15 Jul 2012, 07:03 pm »

The trade-off is that extra mass might carry you down a little smoother.

That's a myth, world cup dh bikes are getting to be under 35 lbs. There's no advantage to a heavier bike assuming the components perform identically.

My burly "AM" bike is 32 lbs even and I can feel a few ounces difference in the bike... weight is a really big deal IMO.

JoshK

« Reply #853 on: 15 Jul 2012, 07:07 pm »
I think a bit lighter bike helps a tiny bit with agility and throwing it around, but in general not a whole lot.  The rotational mass is the biggest difference I think. 

I switched to tubeless and it might be in my head but it does seem to ride a whole lot nicer.  Better traction and just feels more responsive.  Again could be in my head, the placebo effect is powerful.

JoshK

« Reply #854 on: 15 Jul 2012, 09:36 pm »
My burly "AM" bike is 32 lbs even and I can feel a few ounces difference in the bike... weight is a really big deal IMO.

My light AM bike is ~27lbs (think the latest wheels shaved weight but haven't weighed it yet, 27.5lbs before).  My 29'er is 29lbs.  The light AM bike is a lot of fun to ride, more agile, more confidence inspiring, but the 29er feel faster on the same trails (the lesser side, as I don't ride the 29'er on the techy stuff).   I find I ride the Trance X (26 fully) much more, as it is more fun to ride.  Then I take out the 29er and I feel the speed and I decide that the speed to addictive.   It's good to have both.

bhakti

« Reply #855 on: 16 Jul 2012, 01:52 am »

That's a myth, world cup dh bikes are getting to be under 35 lbs. There's no advantage to a heavier bike assuming the components perform identically.

I was referring to rotational mass and not just weight in general.  And also smoothness and not speed.  It's not a myth - it's physics - gyroscopic forces and all that.  Whether or not one can actually feel the difference, I don't know.

Just keep on ridin'  8)

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #856 on: 16 Jul 2012, 02:12 am »
I was referring to rotational mass and not just weight in general.  And also smoothness and not speed.  It's not a myth - it's physics - gyroscopic forces and all that.  Whether or not one can actually feel the difference, I don't know.

Just keep on ridin'  8)

Oh, I totally get what you're saying. I have had both 45 lb DH race bikes and now my current 37 lb DH bike. Heavier bikes can maintain momentum when plowing rocks but on average are slower than lighter dh bikes. It's actually a huge difference either going uphill or down. Current lightweight DH bikes are amazing, and unfortunately so are the prices...

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #857 on: 16 Jul 2012, 02:18 am »
My light AM bike is ~27lbs (think the latest wheels shaved weight but haven't weighed it yet, 27.5lbs before).  My 29'er is 29lbs.  The light AM bike is a lot of fun to ride, more agile, more confidence inspiring, but the 29er feel faster on the same trails (the lesser side, as I don't ride the 29'er on the techy stuff).   I find I ride the Trance X (26 fully) much more, as it is more fun to ride.  Then I take out the 29er and I feel the speed and I decide that the speed to addictive.   It's good to have both.

I'd love to have a light-ish 29er, I rode an Intense Spider 29er and a Turner Sultan 29er, both were really fun bikes. The Intense still sticks in my mind as the best climbing bike I've ever been on, it's abilities to clear technical obstacles was amazing. It's hard to say if a 29er is naturally more efficient from point A to B... I think sometimes they can be, they roll over bumpy terrain really well, but on average I think it's too close to call. If I were to go out and buy a light trail bike today I have no idea if I'd end up with 29" wheels. Luckily I don't have the cash to worry about it.

coke

« Reply #858 on: 17 Jul 2012, 07:28 pm »
Got the used 29" wheels today.  They have some signs of use but are in excellent shape   :D

Hope Pro 2 Hubs
White Stans Flow Rims
Like new Specialized nimbus tires
185 front rotor
160 rear rotor

He also threw in a Ardent 2.4 tire and a geax gato tire. This was totally unexpected but awesome because i use ardents on my bike and a friend of mine is in desperate need of an aggressive tire so the gato will be perfect for him.

Total price = $200  :thumb:

s_cervin

« Reply #859 on: 17 Jul 2012, 10:01 pm »
I'd love to have a light-ish 29er, I rode an Intense Spider 29er and a Turner Sultan 29er, both were really fun bikes. The Intense still sticks in my mind as the best climbing bike I've ever been on, it's abilities to clear technical obstacles was amazing. It's hard to say if a 29er is naturally more efficient from point A to B... I think sometimes they can be, they roll over bumpy terrain really well, but on average I think it's too close to call. If I were to go out and buy a light trail bike today I have no idea if I'd end up with 29" wheels. Luckily I don't have the cash to worry about it.

Ridden so many FS 29er's in the past 8 months I'm not sure where to begin.  I currently ride a Specialized Epic Comp with Stans Arch EX + 240s.  I'm in MI so it has mostly been XC except for Crested Butte, Fruita, and Moab (UPS>LPS>PR & Slickrock).  It has been the best bike I've except for one...Epic S-Works.

Bikes ridden-
Turner Sultan
Yeti SB95
Trek Rumblefish
Niner Jet RDO
Niner RIP9
Cannondale Scalpel 29 carbon
Epic S-works
Stumpjumper FSR S-Works

It is a toss up between the Cannondale and the Epic.  Might have to look into an Epic w/ new Lefty!!  Way too much $$ for my blood though.  The Stans wheels were a big enough improvement for me and I just can't justify the $1000 a lb, but the bike was a rocket!