Re: Bicycling Off-Road
« Reply #821 on: 30 Jun 2012, 11:37 pm »
CK hubs are not upgradeable.

It is cheaper to get a new front wheel.

I have CK hubs

JoshK

« Reply #822 on: 7 Jul 2012, 03:35 pm »
Thanks, i was mostly just curious.  Been browsing bikes (like i need another) and saw most come with 15mm forks.

JoshK

« Reply #823 on: 8 Jul 2012, 08:20 pm »
I am looking to shed some weight on my 29'ers (~29lbs currently).  My 5" FS 26'er weighs only 27.5lbs and has all high end AM oriented parts.

Specs: http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2010&Brand=Gary+Fisher&Model=X-Caliber&Type=bike

I want this to be my XC fast riding, semi-aggressive bike but won't be doing drops/jumps on this. 

Wheels seem the first place to start. 

Then what?  Rear derailleur upgrade might be nice for better shifting and might get a tiny bit of weight loss.

AB

« Reply #824 on: 8 Jul 2012, 08:29 pm »
I would look at Stan's arch or crest wheels depending upon how much you weigh.

Or, if you really want to go light, go with their race wheels. I weigh 155 and run them on a hard tail. They've been fine so far.

JoshK

« Reply #825 on: 8 Jul 2012, 08:34 pm »
I was thinking Arch,  how good are the stan's hubs or should I look to the custom ones?

AB

« Reply #826 on: 8 Jul 2012, 08:52 pm »
The hubs seem to be fine. I've really not felt I wanted "more" from them and the freehub shell looks to be standing up pretty well.
I realize hubs can be a personal thing so YMMV.

Levi

« Reply #827 on: 9 Jul 2012, 02:46 am »
Hey Josh, it looks like you are in the right direction.  I would go for ZTR 355 instead of Stans Arch.  I currently use ZTR Crest w/ Industry Nine hubs with their proprietary aluminum spokes.  The bike accelerates like a 26er.  I like Enve XC wheel set.  I just need someone to convince me that it is better than my current setup.   :)

Doublej

« Reply #828 on: 9 Jul 2012, 02:55 am »
Lose 5 pounds. Think about it. How difficult is it to reduce your bike weight by 5 pounds vs losing 5 pounds yourself?

Levi

« Reply #829 on: 9 Jul 2012, 03:04 am »
It seems like a good idea.  However, if your bike loses 5 lbs. you will be able to use larger cogs which makes you go faster.  Going faster will encourage you to loose 5 + pounds.  A lighter bike is a more efficient bike and will give you handling advantage.  That's how I look at it. 

Start with a lightweight frame and the rest will follow.

Lose 5 pounds. Think about it. How difficult is it to reduce your bike weight by 5 pounds vs losing 5 pounds yourself?

Doublej

« Reply #830 on: 9 Jul 2012, 10:59 am »
It seems like a good idea.  However, if your bike loses 5 lbs. you will be able to use larger cogs which makes you go faster.  Going faster will encourage you to loose 5 + pounds.  A lighter bike is a more efficient bike and will give you handling advantage.  That's how I look at it. 

Start with a lightweight frame and the rest will follow.

If I lose 5 pounds I'll be in better shape and therefore be able to use larger cogs as well, no? Alternately if I have a heavier bike it takes more energy to pedal therefore helping me to lose more weight too.

I am with you on the handling side of things. While geometry places a big role in handling, lighter is better for handling. The few times I have taken out a really light bike for a test ride I felt like it was an extension of my body.

jackman

« Reply #831 on: 9 Jul 2012, 12:24 pm »
Unless you have really heavy wheels, it's difficult and expensive to take significant weight off of your bike.  Easier and cheaper to lose weight many of us carry around in out mid sections. 

Also, heavier bike will not help get you in shape faster.  Assuming you are going all out, full power, a heavier bike will just climb slower.  It's not like swinging a weighted bat or weight training.  You only have so much wattage output regardless if your ride. Light bikes just go faster at the same wattage output. 

Josh, just train in intervals.  It's the fastest way to develop speed and to get in shape.  There are some things you can do to lighten your bike, starting with the wheels but a pound or two weight loss of your bike is going to cost you big bucks. I know some crazy fast guys who ride heavy bikes including a 60 year old guy who rides a 40 lb Pugsley. He rides tons of miles and was able to keep up with my riding group on a 50 mile ride at over 20 mph. 

If you are having trouble with hills, see if you can get a bigger cassette and spin at a higher cadence.  This might make your existing bike easier to navigate up hill.

JoshK

« Reply #832 on: 9 Jul 2012, 02:32 pm »
My goals were a few....  1) I think this bike could shed a *bit* of weight without going crazy.  Wheels seem like a decent idea all around.  The current ones are relatively heavy and despite their "tubeless ready" status are notorious for not holding a seal when ridden tubeless.   I want to go tubeless as lower pressure equals better traction which is important where I ride. 
2) spending money only motivates me more, to get out there and ride, or else it is a waste.  I've managed to put in a few miles each week for this month and plan to step it up a bit more. 
3) I need to loose weight but so does my bike, IMO.  Looking for just a bit better responsiveness and handling/agility...not a lot, just some and maybe a bit better shifting from the rear.  My X9 RD/trigger on my Trance is much nicer than the X7 same on X-cal. 

I actually had an impulse and pulled the trigger on wheels.  I can always keep them for another bike in the future if I want, so I don't see them as bad investments.

Levi

« Reply #833 on: 12 Jul 2012, 04:27 am »
Here is my new bling!   :green:

JoshK

« Reply #834 on: 12 Jul 2012, 07:21 pm »
What kind of brakes are those?

Levi

« Reply #835 on: 12 Jul 2012, 07:34 pm »
Those are the Formula R1 Racing.

coke

« Reply #836 on: 12 Jul 2012, 07:35 pm »
Found a practically new used set of wheels locally. Picking them up this weekend.  Flow rims, hope pro 2 hubs, xt cassette, rotors already installed, and specialized tires - $250 for the set  :thumb:

I plan to put some racing tires on these and run them tubeless for when the trails are smooth and i want more speed. These are nice since they already have the cassette and right size rotors, so it will be no problem at all to swap them out.

Normal wheels are stans flows with dt240s front hub and dt350 rear hub.  These are very nice, but I run heavy slime tubes and heavy tires with slow tread for most of the trails around here.

JoshK

« Reply #837 on: 12 Jul 2012, 11:30 pm »
Good score!  I think Levi paid more for his front brake. ;)

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #838 on: 13 Jul 2012, 01:44 am »
Found a practically new used set of wheels locally. Picking them up this weekend.  Flow rims, hope pro 2 hubs, xt cassette, rotors already installed, and specialized tires - $250 for the set  :thumb:

I plan to put some racing tires on these and run them tubeless for when the trails are smooth and i want more speed. These are nice since they already have the cassette and right size rotors, so it will be no problem at all to swap them out.

Normal wheels are stans flows with dt240s front hub and dt350 rear hub.  These are very nice, but I run heavy slime tubes and heavy tires with slow tread for most of the trails around here.

Pro2 hubs are ultra loud. I sold mine because they are LOUD! I like DT hubs, if your 350 has the plate-type engagement DT sells 36 pt plates as an upgrade for the stock 18 pt plates.

Levi

« Reply #839 on: 13 Jul 2012, 02:27 am »
They are a little expensive but lightweight.  That is the only reason why I bought them.   :D

Good score!  I think Levi paid more for his front brake. ;)