BUGLE2

hagtech

BUGLE2
« on: 29 Apr 2013, 07:59 pm »
I finally added a BUGLE2 page to the website.  Taking pre-orders now with expected delivery in June.  Many people had been asking how to get one of these since the Kickstarter project has closed.  Here it is!  All parts are in stock except for the translucent cases, which are supposed to ship this week.

jh

WireNut

Re: BUGLE2
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2013, 09:40 pm »
I finally added a BUGLE2 page to the website.  Taking pre-orders now with expected delivery in June.  Many people had been asking how to get one of these since the Kickstarter project has closed.  Here it is!  All parts are in stock except for the translucent cases, which are supposed to ship this week.
jh

Hi Jim.
Trying to download the kit manual or user manual for the bugle 2 from your site I got the following message.

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /pdf/ on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

hagtech

« Reply #2 on: 1 May 2013, 12:15 am »
I haven't finished the manuals yet - waiting for the plastic enclosures to come in.

jh

ttan98

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2013, 05:50 am »
Hi,

I am from Australia, the Bugle II arrived yesterday.  It is very well documented and I don't think I will have difficulty in putting the kit together.

Thanks...

homsup9

« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2013, 06:11 pm »
Hello Jim,

Are you going to offer the "Elite" version of the Bugle 2 to the public?  If so, what's your timeframe on that?

Thanks.

hagtech

« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2013, 10:57 pm »
You can already buy the ELITE at www.haglabs.com/bugle2.html

jh

kc8apf

• Are you sure what side of the glass you're on?
« Reply #6 on: 6 Jun 2013, 05:20 am »
My Bugle2 kit from the Kickstarter arrived last week but I only found time to assemble it tonight.  Pretty straightforward with the directions and took a few hours.  Family is asleep so critical listening will need to wait but Foreigner's self-titled album sounds pretty good at low volume.

REY

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jun 2013, 05:02 pm »
My kit arrived a few weeks ago, it took me catching a cold and not been able to leave the house to put it together, It took  about 3 hrs, the little sucker sounds amazing, quiet, with a lot of authority and detail, this is my third or fourth bugle built, battery operated, external power supply, audiophile parts, etc. This is  by far the best sounding one, thanks Jim, sometimes less is more.

Batty

« Reply #8 on: 26 Aug 2013, 11:31 pm »

Since the picture was taken I have altered the gain to 54dB and changed the output IC to a pair of OPA627s, this has improved the bass quite a bit.
I now prefer this over my Marshall Leech pre pre into my phono input on the Copland.

Brinkman

« Reply #9 on: 19 Sep 2013, 03:38 am »
Hi Jim,

I am using a reasonably precise L/C meter to measure and channel match the capacitors for my Bugle2 (I do the same with the resistors). I also have spare 1500pF and 3000pF caps that I can use to add capacitance for better matching.  So I have two questions. Should I be concerned with the extra inductance introduced by the leads of the paralleled capacitors? And while i'm adding capacitance, is there some other value than the nominal ones to more precisely fit this circuit's RIAA correction EQ?

Thanks.

hagtech

« Reply #10 on: 1 Oct 2013, 06:18 am »
Stick with the specified capacitance values.  Any lead inductance will likely not be a problem.

jh

Brinkman

« Reply #11 on: 2 Oct 2013, 04:57 pm »
Thanks Jim. I posted before checking your FB page. Glad you got to see some National parks before the shutdown!

As for the Bugle2, it is up and running well. A very solid, tells-it-like-it-is preamp.

As I mentioned before, as an additional step in the sorting process, I L&R channel match the components. Beyond this, the voltage dividers in the op amp feedback loops were also channel matched by quotient.

As for the stock capacitors, I upgraded the four 220nF and two 10nF capacitors. I had a big bag of 10nF film/foil Dayton caps from Parts Express so it was really easy to find a pair of 9.9nF caps. The stock 220nF were within spec (I don't recall the exact values) but didn't allow for any additional capacitance for matching or RIAA precision so I swapped these with some AudioCap alphas I salvaged from a discarded active crossover PCB. While the Audiocaps are film/foil types, they also had a poor tolerance, ranging from 210nF to 240nF. With the help of some 3000pF soviet Teflon FT-1 caps, 3300pF polystyrene/foil caps and an extra 10nF Dayton cap, I was able to match the RIAA at 219.9nF and the coupling caps at 240nF.

When all is said and done, I regret not splurging on a large assortment of Vishay Dale RN resistors to obtain the noise figures of the Bugle2 Elite and perhaps even more accurate RIAA & channel matching. In fact, I do not think it would be too extreme to use Vishay naked foil resistors in this circuit.

I did have Browndog adapter with a pair of AD729s mounted so I socketed the third op amp position and rolled that in. I also socketed the input loading resistors. Gain is set at 40dB.

As for feedback, I think it would be a nice touch for there to have been a proviso for optional trimmer resistors in both legs of the RIAA EQ. With the help on an online RIAA EQ calculator, builders could punch in the measured value of their RIAA capacitors and a target resistance would be output based on that. The trimmers could be dialed to hit that mark.

I also really think Jim should bring back the Bugle power supply. Once builders get a taste of what a wall-wart powered Bugle2 can resolve, the stock wall-wart really starts to feel kinda shabby. A plug-and-play power supply upgrade to the Bugle2 is worth considering. Pro-Ject did the same thing with their entry-level turntables and the power supply upgrade became the major "must-have" upgrade for folks on the upgrade path.

So yes, I love my Bugle2. It chugs along with an authority that effortlessly rivals other well-regarded entry-level offerings such as my Bellari VP-129 (also upgraded). This is a real tells-it-like-it-is phono stage. No euphoria, just clarity. This is a fantastic kit.

Thanks Jim!

wushuliu

« Reply #12 on: 25 Oct 2013, 07:48 pm »

When all is said and done, I regret not splurging on a large assortment of Vishay Dale RN resistors to obtain the noise figures of the Bugle2 Elite and perhaps even more accurate RIAA & channel matching. In fact, I do not think it would be too extreme to use Vishay naked foil resistors in this circuit.

I also really think Jim should bring back the Bugle power supply. Once builders get a taste of what a wall-wart powered Bugle2 can resolve, the stock wall-wart really starts to feel kinda shabby. A plug-and-play power supply upgrade to the Bugle2 is worth considering. Pro-Ject did the same thing with their entry-level turntables and the power supply upgrade became the major "must-have" upgrade for folks on the upgrade path.

I think PRP resistors get you close to Vishay naked quality for a lot less money. As for the PS someone posted their Bugle 2 build recently and showed how the Jim's filter does an amazing job at smoothing out the power.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/237627-hagerman-bugle-2-a-2.html

Folsom

« Reply #13 on: 25 Oct 2013, 08:52 pm »
I put the can version of the OPAMP used in the Bugle2, into my original Bugle and can say it is leagues ahead of the original. I'd like to know just how much better the can version is because I don't suspect 627's could be an improvement in my case. Bass certainly is no issue. Clarity is off the chart.

wushuliu

« Reply #14 on: 25 Oct 2013, 11:31 pm »
I put the can version of the OPAMP used in the Bugle2, into my original Bugle and can say it is leagues ahead of the original. I'd like to know just how much better the can version is because I don't suspect 627's could be an improvement in my case. Bass certainly is no issue. Clarity is off the chart.

Yes the canned version (lme49720HA) has a large following...

Folsom

« Reply #15 on: 26 Oct 2013, 12:28 am »
For very good reason. They give some serious harmonic qualities, some real body to instruments.

Brinkman

« Reply #16 on: 1 Nov 2013, 11:58 pm »
As for the PS someone posted their Bugle 2 build recently and showed how the Jim's filter does an amazing job at smoothing out the power.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/237627-hagerman-bugle-2-a-2.html

His filtering is excellent. I shouldn't have implied it was hindering the Bugle2's performance. However, frankly speaking, a wall wart is a wall wart is a wall wart. The Bugle2 is aimed at entry-level iPod/iphone turntable neophytes, so it probably bugs it's intended audience less than it does me (as I type from my iphone).

Regardless, the Piccolo head amp also requires a power supply.  Maybe we'll see a wall wart for the Piccolo2 as well... but I'd still prefer a high quality standalone solution for both.

Brinkman

« Reply #17 on: 13 Nov 2013, 10:12 pm »
Quick question:

If I wanted to remove the Allen Wright time constant, which components would I jumper/change?

Thanks in advance.

poty

« Reply #18 on: 14 Nov 2013, 06:44 pm »
If I wanted to remove the Allen Wright time constant, which components would I jumper/change?
Jump R11.

izerbi

« Reply #19 on: 15 Nov 2013, 08:58 pm »
Hi All,
I'm looking for a bit of advice please.
Been really busy but i'm planning to assemble the bugle2 up to christmas as a gift to myself :wink:
So these lme49720ha opamps are the ones to use at present...? Why not in all positions or replace the 3?
I'm using the bugle at present and really happy so looking to get the best of the new version and for a long time.
Thank you for helping