12AU7 tube recommendations

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
Re: 12AU7 tube recommendations
« Reply #20 on: 20 Sep 2018, 02:48 am »
I see Audio by VanAlstine https://avahifi.com/collections/used-demo-and-quick-ship/products/vacuum-tubes?variant=5831233110046  sells a matched set of two 12AU7/EC882 for $35 plus shipping. Not sure if these are JJ or not.

Tritium

« Reply #21 on: 20 Sep 2018, 04:50 am »

:duh:
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2018, 01:38 pm by Tritium »

wgallupe

« Reply #22 on: 20 Sep 2018, 11:53 am »
I rolled several tubes in the Bob Latino/VTA ST120 and VTA Mark III mono blocks. Based on my experiences the RCA Clear Top is the one that fits your description. It's also plentiful and inexpensive.

belle harbor

« Reply #23 on: 20 Sep 2018, 11:57 am »
Blanket tube recommendations are a waste of time.  A tube which offers certain sonic characteristics in one piece of equipment may perform very differently in another where its operating parameters are very different.  The only way to know what is going to sound best is to try out various tubes and draw your own conclusions!  I've known many who spent a fortune because they read that a tube with a particular getter shape sounds much better than one with a differently shaped getter only to be very disappointed.  And certainly don't take the word of any tube sellers as their motivation may not be in your best interests.  My views are based on decades of experience...

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #24 on: 20 Sep 2018, 12:13 pm »
Blanket tube recommendations are a waste of time.  A tube which offers certain sonic characteristics in one piece of equipment may perform very differently in another where its operating parameters are very different.  The only way to know what is going to sound best is to try out various tubes and draw your own conclusions!  I've known many who spent a fortune because they read that a tube with a particular getter shape sounds much better than one with a differently shaped getter only to be very disappointed.  And certainly don't take the word of any tube sellers as their motivation may not be in your best interests.  My views are based on decades of experience...
+1

wgallupe

« Reply #25 on: 20 Sep 2018, 01:03 pm »

Not that I don't agree 100% with your comment. However, the comments in my reply to the OP are based on the exact same amp/circuit he is asking about. Also, note that I didn't make a recommendation. I shared my experience.

jtsnead

« Reply #26 on: 20 Sep 2018, 01:19 pm »
I have 3 each NOS Sylvania 12BH7A that were recommended for a 12AU7 replacements that I am not going to keep because I am going to sell the gear that I was going to use it in got them from Tube Depot at $30 each if interested:

https://www.tubedepot.com/products/12bh7a

jtsnead

« Reply #27 on: 20 Sep 2018, 01:37 pm »
Also have a pair of RCA and one Philco

jaylevine

« Reply #28 on: 20 Sep 2018, 01:59 pm »
Also have a pair of RCA and one Philco

Thanks for the offer but will pass re: ordered a set of Tung-Sol late yesterday and will try those out for a while to see how they compare to my stock Syv 12au7s

Jay

belle harbor

« Reply #29 on: 20 Sep 2018, 02:13 pm »
Not that I don't agree 100% with your comment. However, the comments in my reply to the OP are based on the exact same amp/circuit he is asking about. Also, note that I didn't make a recommendation. I shared my experience.

My comments were intended as a general statement.  Of course, since you have the same amp, your impressions and experiences have greater validity.  Yet, there are so many other factors which need to be considered.  For example, some characteristics may be evident at one listening level, but not at another or with types of music which the OP doesn't listen to; some speakers will reveal certain characteristics which others will not; room acoustics may mask or enhance one thing or another; the OP's hearing is uniquely his own and is not going to be the same as anyone else's. You get my point.  So, I reiterate what I said above- one must audition tubes, components, cables, and so on in their own system and use their own ears to determine what is most pleasing.  After all, does anything else matter?

Thanks for the offer but will pass re: ordered a set of Tung-Sol late yesterday and will try those out for a while to see how they compare to my stock Syv 12au7s

Jay

That's the way to do it!

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #30 on: 20 Sep 2018, 02:56 pm »
Blanket tube recommendations are a waste of time.  A tube which offers certain sonic characteristics in one piece of equipment may perform very differently in another where its operating parameters are very ....
Not trying to derail the thread but come on, there are of course some blanket recommendations. With small signal tubes, Mullard tend to be rich and smooth,  and Telefunken tend to be clear and articulate.  The OP was looking for a recommendation on the clear and articulate side and nobody suggested Mullard. Saved him the money/time of trying them.  If he does try them and likes them, it won't be because they're clear and articulate in his system.

stereophe

« Reply #31 on: 22 Oct 2018, 01:06 pm »
i really like Mullard CV4003 Box plates tubes. sounds great!

raindance

« Reply #32 on: 15 Nov 2018, 12:41 pm »
I would suggest RCA clear tops if you must spend on NOS. Alternatively there is nothing wrong with JJ ECC82S (the short plate version). Both have well extended treble without being too warm. And yes, the Chinese 12AU7 tubes can sound decent if you can find quiet ones. The JJ ECC802 (long plate) I do not recommend as they tend to be very microphonic (plus they are warm, not bright sounding). Some of the military versions of the 12AU7 are nice sounding, such as the 5814A and they are VERY well made; Kevin Deal has good ones normally.

I am not sure how much change you expect, but it will be quite small and is like adding a little seasoning to your food. It is not night and day and will most likely not compensate for hearing roll off. You may want to think about EQ of some kind.

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #33 on: 15 Nov 2018, 05:19 pm »
This kind of a suggestion might be totally useless but when I was rolling the usual suspects in my Atma-Sphere MP-3 I always seemed to come back to the Westinghouse carbon plate 12AU7s. Very clear and well-balanced from what I can remember. Strangely enough, I often preferred the E80CC w/pinched waist & gold pins over any other tube in that position, but it probably doesn't even belong there. :duh:

borism

« Reply #34 on: 15 Nov 2018, 11:58 pm »
Funny, I followed Ralph Karsten's recommendation to try RCA clear tops in my Atma-Sphere MP-3 and found them in my system to be the better choice compared to NOS Mullard, Cifte and Radiotechnique. In addition, the clear tops were the least expensive! However, I never tried the Westinghouse.