New OS3 to replace Manic Moose

OTM

Re: New OS3 to replace Manic Moose
« Reply #100 on: 20 Mar 2024, 06:41 pm »
Reply to thread posters:

I am not going to not buy a Mac or PC  just because I do not like the included browse’s features. I will just download a different  browser (in this case the music player software)  with the  features I like.
No effect on the operation/sound of the hardware.
IMHO

gbaby

« Reply #101 on: 21 Mar 2024, 03:46 pm »
Manic Moose is not for free… BR-20 has a price tag of EUR 9870 here (USD 10,700).
Audirvana fee is nothing to have a good usability and a seamless experience and integration between Qobuz and local library.

My 2p

Manic Moose is free. You are using a pre-amp with built in streamer and DAC. I am using a stand alone BDP3/BDA3.

gbaby

« Reply #102 on: 4 Apr 2024, 07:40 pm »
Manic Moose is not for free… BR-20 has a price tag of EUR 9870 here (USD 10,700).
Audirvana fee is nothing to have a good usability and a seamless experience and integration between Qobuz and local library.

My 2p

So, this is what OS3 is about, the integration between Qobuz and local library. No wonder I like the current Manic Moose. I don't even use Qobuz or Tidal as I found the standard Manic Moose sonically runs rings around both.  :?

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #103 on: 4 Apr 2024, 08:02 pm »
So, this is what OS3 is about, the integration between Qobuz and local library. No wonder I like the current Manic Moose. I don't even use Qobuz or Tidal as I found the standard Manic Moose sonically runs rings around both.  :?

You still don’t get it.
Qobuz and Tidal are music servers, Manic Moose is a control interface. If you’re not using Qobuz or Tidal, then the music you’re listening to comes from another source. That source is what sounds better to you, NOT the control interface.

galyons

« Reply #104 on: 8 Apr 2024, 07:14 pm »
You still don’t get it.
Qobuz and Tidal are music servers, Manic Moose is a control interface. If you’re not using Qobuz or Tidal, then the music you’re listening to comes from another source. That source is what sounds better to you, NOT the control interface.

Yeah, there seems to be only one "Defender of the Indefensible" when it comes to MM.  If he does not use/need a feature, then his implied argument is that "No one does". His posts show a rather simplistic understanding of all the "moving parts" of a streaming subsystem.

I live with the limitations of the MM UI, but anxiously await a modern interface equal to the quality of the Bryston streamer.

Cheers,
Geary

gbaby

« Reply #105 on: 8 Apr 2024, 07:53 pm »
You still don’t get it.

I get it. You don't get me. I know MM is just a control interface. No big deal for me. I tried both Tidal and Qobuz upon their release. I did not like the sound of either preferring local USB through Manic Moose.

gbaby

« Reply #106 on: 8 Apr 2024, 09:02 pm »
Yeah, there seems to be only one  :roll:"Defender of the Indefensible" when it comes to MM.  If he does not use/need a feature, then his implied argument is that "No one does". His posts show a rather simplistic understanding of all the "moving parts" of a streaming subsystem.

I live with the limitations of the MM UI, but anxiously await a modern interface equal to the quality of the Bryston streamer.

Cheers,
Geary

Look Buddy, I'm doing what you are doing. Don't try to read my mind, its too complex. You want a new interface because Manic Moose isn't doing what you want. I want to keep it because its doing everything I want. You have selfish needs; so do I. :roll:

galyons

« Reply #107 on: 9 Apr 2024, 12:51 am »
Look Buddy, I'm doing what you are doing. Don't try to read my mind, its too complex. You want a new interface because Manic Moose isn't doing what you want. I want to keep it because its doing everything I want. You have selfish needs; so do I. :roll:

Actually not even close!  I do not, nor does anyone else on this circle, jump on every new BDP interface post, like Pavlov's dogs, with inane whining that "I love it! Leave it alone".  We got "that" ages ago, but evidently you have not.

Cheers,
Geary
« Last Edit: 9 Apr 2024, 02:59 am by galyons »

Francois_Tardif

« Reply #108 on: 9 Apr 2024, 01:57 am »
I suggest that we remain respectful towards each other, but it is indeed difficult to understand why a member systematically writes in each post relating to MM that he likes this interface. I use MM with my BDP-3. My opinion is that this interface is not up to par and is outdated, but regardless of that fact, my Bryston system sounds like heaven. There are obviously reasons why many users would like an update to MM and this is what they express in their posts. Ultimately, it is Bryston who makes the decision to allocate his resources where he believes it will be most important. There seems to be a consensus that users love their Bryston products, but would like a more modern interface, more adapted to their needs, more adapted to new technologies, etc. To my knowledge, the reality is that there is only one user who consistently feels the need to express the fact that he likes MM. I still try to see both sides of the coin and I admit that it's an irritant when we try to express what could be improved, when we discuss it... and each time, A post appears to say that everything is good and everything can stay like that. Obviously, this does not provide much of a solution.

François

Blik9

« Reply #109 on: 9 Apr 2024, 06:06 am »
Hear Hear  :thumb:

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #110 on: 9 Apr 2024, 12:07 pm »
Aside from my own “selfish” needs, I want Bryston to succeed with the BDP line but the software is hurting sales. I am confident the software will be updated in a manner that doesn’t impede anyone’s use case, especially if it is that simple. To actively sabotage the effort and deny existence of an entire music industry in its current form is beyond selfish and regressive.

:popcorn:

gbaby

« Reply #111 on: 9 Apr 2024, 03:28 pm »
 :o :o
Aside from my own “selfish” needs, I want Bryston to succeed with the BDP line but the software is hurting sales. I am confident the software will be updated in a manner that doesn’t impede anyone’s use case, especially if it is that simple. To actively sabotage the effort and deny existence of an entire music industry in its current form is beyond selfish and regressive.

:popcorn:

You guys are giving me a lot of power. Thanks.  :o

gbaby

« Reply #112 on: 9 Apr 2024, 03:29 pm »

gbaby

« Reply #113 on: 10 Apr 2024, 08:06 pm »
Last night, I had the opportunity to compare a Steely Dan composition entitled "Do It Again" from a UHQR LP playing at 45 RPM, against a .wav file from the 2 CD Steely Dan Greatest Hits playing back on my Bryston BDP3/BDA3 combo. My turntable was a Rega P6 with an Ania moving coil cartridge. The phono pre-amp was the Bryson BP-2 mm/mc. To my ears, the .wav file playing back this composition was hands down sonically better. Did Manic Moose contribute to this better sound? I don't know, but I decided against buying "Aja" in UHQR and saved myself $150.00 I own several UHQR LPs and never play them

drummermitchell

« Reply #114 on: 11 Apr 2024, 12:59 am »
Good your not reelin in the years gbaby or you’d b sayin back jack do it it again,
Had to say it cuz I love their music.
MM works for me, I mean set your playlist, hit play enjoy.
I don’t need nothing but the music,I don’t get why some need …..well I don’t know.
 Oh yeah wheels turnin round and round.
K I’ll shut off,that’s what my Imported China Doll tells me at times.

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #115 on: 11 Apr 2024, 01:29 am »
I don’t limit myself to musical content based on sound quality or convenience.

Formats exist…
- Flac downloads and streams
- Internet radio and Sirius XM streams for background/driving or discovering new music
- Vinyl collection of preferred analog masters or music unreleased in digital form
- CD collection including HDCD and SACD
- Laserdisc for movies never released on DVD
- Blu-ray concerts, etc.

Have a music collection that needs to be played but also discovering new material every day. MM is not good for all that.

Musical content determines playback method, not the other way around.

gbaby

« Reply #116 on: 11 Apr 2024, 01:33 pm »
Good your not reelin in the years gbaby or you’d b sayin back jack do it it again,
Had to say it cuz I love their music.
MM works for me, I mean set your playlist, hit play enjoy.
I don’t need nothing but the music,I don’t get why some need …..well I don’t know.
 Oh yeah wheels turnin round and round.
K I’ll shut off,that’s what my Imported China Doll tells me at times.

8) :D

alanford69

« Reply #117 on: 11 Apr 2024, 01:50 pm »
Last night, I had the opportunity to compare a Steely Dan composition entitled "Do It Again" from a UHQR LP playing at 45 RPM, against a .wav file from the 2 CD Steely Dan Greatest Hits playing back on my Bryston BDP3/BDA3 combo. My turntable was a Rega P6 with an Ania moving coil cartridge. The phono pre-amp was the Bryson BP-2 mm/mc. To my ears, the .wav file playing back this composition was hands down sonically better. Did Manic Moose contribute to this better sound? I don't know, but I decided against buying "Aja" in UHQR and saved myself $150.00 I own several UHQR LPs and never play them

MM for sure plays files very well but I believe that a well recorded cd (or equivalent digital file) outperforms a vinyl print any way you play it.

Vinyl has a maximum S/N (signal to noise) ratio of around 65dB (that would be with a top quality LP, which is handled VERY carefully and has never been played). 16/44 digital (aka: CD) has a maximum S/N ratio of around 90dB (the bigger the number, the better).

gbaby

« Reply #118 on: 11 Apr 2024, 07:44 pm »
MM for sure plays files very well but I believe that a well recorded cd (or equivalent digital file) outperforms a vinyl print any way you play it.

Vinyl has a maximum S/N (signal to noise) ratio of around 65dB (that would be with a top quality LP, which is handled VERY carefully and has never been played). 16/44 digital (aka: CD) has a maximum S/N ratio of around 90dB (the bigger the number, the better).

I think the jury is still out on this one. It depends on too many factors. I have the Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" in UHQR 45. It blows away the SACD version. But owning about 1,500, vinyl records, I don't think the majority of them sound better than the CD or digital file. I guess that's why I packed away most of my vinyl except about 50 chosen ones.

alanford69

« Reply #119 on: 12 Apr 2024, 10:36 am »
I think the jury is still out on this one. It depends on too many factors. I have the Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" in UHQR 45. It blows away the SACD version. But owning about 1,500, vinyl records, I don't think the majority of them sound better than the CD or digital file. I guess that's why I packed away most of my vinyl except about 50 chosen ones.

Fully agree… at the end the quality of the recording drives 90% of the result, in fact I said “a well recorded cd”. Unfortunately, many cd versions are crap despite the higher technical specs of the cd support. Dr loudness war archives can prevent buying most of them.