BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1340 on: 4 Mar 2018, 08:02 pm »

...ok, BDP-1 is working fine again.

thank you Chris and James. Bryston's customer service is great! what a company!! :thumb:

al.

Norton

« Reply #1341 on: 3 Apr 2018, 10:02 pm »
I've been trying to get Tidal working again on my BDP1 with little success.  There seem to be various ways of accessing, none us which are working satisfactorily for me:

in the Tidal application if I open an album I can play an individual track OK (after a long wait) but the play button which I presume is for the whole album at foot of screen  does nothing.

In Media Player  Artist view, I get Tidal albums when I search, but each track only plays for 30s (I am logged in OK)

At the foot of the right hand pane in the main media player screen there is a Tidal option, it very neatly displays my Tidal favourites, but again does nothing if I hit "+" to add selection to playlist.

Am I doing something stupidly wrong, or is the BDP1 not really compatible with Tidal?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1342 on: 3 Apr 2018, 10:24 pm »
Please place the bdp into service mode and email me the service id.

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Manic%20Moose%20Manual.pdf

Norton

« Reply #1343 on: 8 Apr 2018, 07:09 pm »
Please place the bdp into service mode and email me the service id.

Thanks, but I reverted to 2.36 stable and it seems Ok now.  Is the combo of 2.37 and Tidal to be avoided on BDP1?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1344 on: 9 Apr 2018, 06:23 pm »
Where you using the TIDAL app found under applications or TIDAL within the Media Player?  I've found TIDAL within media player to be the best experience so far on the BDP-1.

Norton

« Reply #1345 on: 9 Apr 2018, 09:32 pm »
Where you using the TIDAL app found under applications or TIDAL within the Media Player?  I've found TIDAL within media player to be the best experience so far on the BDP-1.

With 2.37 I couldn't get anything Tidal to work remotely satisfactorily.  With 2.36 I'd agree that Artist view under media player works better than the Tidal app.  Is 2.37 not good with Tidal on BDP1?  If so, a pity, as I liked some of the changes  in 2.37.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1346 on: 9 Apr 2018, 10:37 pm »
I havn’t experienced any issues with TIDAL playback using S2.37 on my BDP-1, atleast relative to the old TIDAL app anyways.  Considering the BDP-1 never had streaming in mind, let alone lossless streaming and the limited hardware, I would say it works quite well.  Lossy streaming should play without issue and lossless will sometimes have some stuttering at the beginning of playback.  As far as I am aware this is combination of the limited hardware and if a network bottlenecks during initial buffering.

Norton

« Reply #1347 on: 14 Apr 2018, 11:47 am »
I havn’t experienced any issues with TIDAL playback using S2.37 on my BDP-1, atleast relative to the old TIDAL app anyways.  Considering the BDP-1 never had streaming in mind, let alone lossless streaming and the limited hardware, I would say it works quite well.  Lossy streaming should play without issue and lossless will sometimes have some stuttering at the beginning of playback.  As far as I am aware this is combination of the limited hardware and if a network bottlenecks during initial buffering.

I like 2.37 so I moved back to it from 2.36.  At first all seemed well, but now I am back to the odd phenomenon, when using Tidal favourites within media player, that first track plays for c 30 secs then the second track for 10 secs then playback stops.  Seems OK using the Tidal app though.

As far as I can see there are 3 options for Tidal replay on the BDP:

Use the app
Searching for  Tidal content using Artist view
Using Tidal option in right hand pane of default view.

As a matter of interest, is the BDP doing something different in each of the above (i.e. do last 2 use MPD)?

In theory, I like the last option as it gives fast access to favourites, set up elsewhere.

Norton

« Reply #1348 on: 15 Apr 2018, 11:42 am »
As an update, I tried 2.36 and 2.37 back to back with Tidal today.

In 2.36 Tidal seems to  work fine both in the app and in media player artist view.
In 2.37 works OK in the app, but, in media player both via artist view and tidal favourites in default view, the first track of an album plays for c.30 secs, then jumps to second track which plays for c.10 secs then playback stops.

A pity as I really like the function of favourite tidal albums in default view (much quicker to navigate than in app).

It also looks to me that the Tidal catalogue number is no longer displayed in 2.37 playback.

Gerard

« Reply #1349 on: 16 Apr 2018, 01:31 pm »
Recently I got a Meitner MA-1v2 DAC connected to my BDP-2. MA-1v2 is capable of max native DSD128.
In the Audio device screen of the BDP-2 I see: "USB DAC with XMOS xCORE U8" connected via my WW platinum 7 USB.
When I play DSD64 files to my DAC it is identified by Meitner DAC as a DXD352 format instead DSD64. Does this mean that the BDP-2 is converting the native DSD64 into PCM? How to let BDP-2 know that it can send native DSD?
Help appreciated!
Regards, Gerard

TJ-Sully

« Reply #1350 on: 16 Apr 2018, 11:33 pm »
Considering the BDP-1 never had streaming in mind, let alone lossless streaming and the limited hardware, I would say it works quite well. 

I couldn't agree more with this. I've been using Roon/Tidal with my BDP-1 for about 2 years and the performance of the BDP-1 has been stellar. No major issues at all. Super impressed with how Bryston managed to adapt the BDP-1 to emerging streaming services. Great product.

T

gbaby

« Reply #1351 on: 17 Apr 2018, 12:12 am »
Recently I got a Meitner MA-1v2 DAC connected to my BDP-2. MA-1v2 is capable of max native DSD128.
In the Audio device screen of the BDP-2 I see: "USB DAC with XMOS xCORE U8" connected via my WW platinum 7 USB.
When I play DSD64 files to my DAC it is identified by Meitner DAC as a DXD352 format instead DSD64. Does this mean that the BDP-2 is converting the native DSD64 into PCM? How to let BDP-2 know that it can send native DSD?
Help appreciated!
Regards, Gerard

Its probably DSD wrapped in a PCM cover. Its still DSD. You can read about if you google it.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1352 on: 17 Apr 2018, 01:02 am »
Help appreciated!
Regards, Gerard

please see the audio devices section of the manic moose manual on  how to enable dsd

chris

Gerard

« Reply #1353 on: 17 Apr 2018, 11:24 am »
please see the audio devices section of the manic moose manual on  how to enable dsd

chris

Thanks Chris, indeed i had not checked the box to enable DSD... :duh:  Now it works fine and the DAC identifies the data as DSD64. And also DSD128 files are recognized!  :thumb: Thanks again!
Regards, Gerard

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1354 on: 17 Apr 2018, 02:16 pm »
Thanks Chris, indeed i had not checked the box to enable DSD... :duh:  Now it works fine and the DAC identifies the data as DSD64. And also DSD128 files are recognized!  :thumb: Thanks again!
Regards, Gerard

Cool beans!

gbaby

« Reply #1355 on: 17 Apr 2018, 08:19 pm »

GoGoDuck

« Reply #1356 on: 20 Apr 2018, 10:04 am »
Problem on BDP-II NAS (Synology DS-718+) Setup...
I recently purchased a Synology DS-718+, with HDD (10TB) placed on HDD1, HDD2 kept empty.
The HiRes Files were placed on “music” folder, then have about 20 sub-folders like HDtracks, Opus etc...
The HiRes Audio Files are behind the sub-folders.

When I go to NAS setup page, I find that after entering the correct Username & Password, errors occurred when I press “Next”.
The “Share” folder appears to be “1” instead of “music”, when I continue to press the sub-folder, it appears to be “Incorrect Credentials” & a message somewhat like “permission denies”, the BDP-II stop responds & got stuck on the NAS setup page.

May I know the reasons why & what can I do to make BDP-2 possible to read Synology NAS HiRes files?

Thanks...

PS:
I’m sure that all the setup of DS-718+ are correct. And I’ve successfully connect several NAS to BDP-II   previously
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2018, 02:06 pm by GoGoDuck »

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1357 on: 20 Apr 2018, 01:27 pm »
Are you selecting an the Synologies AFP or SMB file sharing service?

Chris

GoGoDuck

« Reply #1358 on: 20 Apr 2018, 02:03 pm »
Hi Chris,
SMB...
Devices found which are related to Synology NAS is SYNOLOGYDS718.local (SMB/AFP) & SYNOLOGYDS718 (SMB/AFP)
In fact I’ve been tried both...

GoGoDuck

« Reply #1359 on: 20 Apr 2018, 02:04 pm »
Hope U can help me resolve the issue...
Thanks...

Peter Ip