Modification of Harman Kardon T60 1984 Turntables

JRad

Modification of Harman Kardon T60 1984 Turntables
« on: 26 Apr 2018, 06:04 pm »
Recently

A friend has found a T60 at a local thrift shop complete with GRACE F9 moving mag cartridge.
Its not right that he found it first, but as the friend, I must be happy for him.

He and I are in the process of refurbishment.
Please find an attached schematic for internal AC Transformer elimination and outboard Power Supply replacement
for this vintage Harmon Kardon TurnTable.
Our grown Children describe the 45RPMs as dark CDs complaining that the diameter is too large...
I enjoy the human qualification questions Quadraphonic and Stereo channels...

AudioCircle Community ; please enjoy this modification addressing thread 123195.0

John R.
CET-III 1979

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: Modification of Harman Kardon T60 1984 Turntables
« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr 2018, 07:44 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle, John.  :beer:

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2018, 02:12 am »
I modified a Harman Kardon T55C with good results. I did all the Van Alstine Audio Basics mods and packed the base with modeling clay. The arm is low mass so a high compliance cartridge is best, the Grado with a Longhorn mod works very well with HK tables.

The turntable mods will cost you less than $50 and make a big difference in regards to speed stability and imaging.
You can find out more here with photos: http://www.wghwoodworking.com/harman_kardon/h-k.htm

Van Alstine Audio Basics Turntable Mods

1983/09 Harman-Kardon T-60 Turntable
Test reports on a very nice H-K turntable.

1984/05 Harman-Kardon T-25 Turntable
Description of the work we do to a H-K Turntable to make it free from hum and AC fields.

1985/06 Harman-Kardon Turntables 1 page
A few comments on improving the performance of the turntables with liquid silicon and the difference between the models.

1985/12 Harman-Kardon T-60 Turntable Rebuild 4 pages
Complete instructions to build your own external power supply for the Harman-Kardon T-60 turntable, thereby isolating your turntable from hum fields and mechanical vibrations.

1986/10 Harman-Kardon T-60 Update .5 pages
An update to the instructions for the H-K T-60 turntable upgrade project detailed in 12/85. The new instructions work with recent variations in the H-K power supply card.

Frank Van Alstine also sells the Grados with the Longhorn mod or you can make one yourself if you are handy (1982 Audio Basics pg 8-9).

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 27 Apr 2018, 02:20 am »
Speaking of Frank, he used to sell the modded H-K's. I had the T-25 and the Longhorn, and it made great music.

wyntonmhifi2

« Reply #4 on: 4 Apr 2020, 02:42 am »
 My first turntable in 1984 was HK T60. I love it. 10 Years ago, I picked up the vinyl hobby again, and one of the turntable I brought in my collection was the T60 again. People said it is the poor man LP-12. I do agree and I have a LP-12 and other DD turntables. Today I set up the T60 to listen again, still great!