Name that speaker

jsalk

Name that speaker
« on: 10 May 2007, 03:17 am »
As most of you know, over the years we have developed a very close and rewarding working relationship with Dennis Murphy.  Dennis is a truly gifted and talented crossover artist.  While many may possess similar technical skills, Dennis combines those skills with a keen sense of hearing developed over the years as a practicing symphonic musician.  He simply knows how things should sound.

Starting with the first pair of Ellis 1801's I built, I have had an opportunity to build many speaker designs with Dennis Murphy crossovers.  And I have never heard one that wasn't right on the money.  So when Dennis recently asked if we would like to bring one of his personal designs to market, we obviously said yes. 

But before I describe the speaker in detail, I need to ask for your help.  In one email, Dennis referred to the speaker as "George."  I told him that simply wouldn't do.  It needed a name that instilled confidence and perhaps pointed toward one or more of its more significant attributes.

So I'm starting this thread to get some input as to what this speaker might be called.  Any and all ideas for a name are welcome. If we happen to select a name you submitted, I can guarantee you won't get rich.  But you will certainly feel a sense of pride, knowing you contributed to the success of a great Dennis Murphy speaker design.

Here are some details...

"The speaker" is an MTM design using a MLQW Transmission Line cabinet based on the pioneering work of Martin King.  This transmission line cabinet allows the floor-standing speaker to exhibit greater bass extension than a ported design would normally allow.

This design is the end result of a year-long project to develop a very affordable (under $1500) speaker that
  • 1) is wide range, with useful bass response to at least 40 Hz;
  • 2) has a small enough footprint to allow cabinet dimensions with high SAF; and,
  • 3) is sensitive enough to be compatible with a wide range of amplifiers.

Traditional 3-ways would almost certainly fail at least one of the last two requirements.  Traditional 2-way bookshelf designs would require a large woofer that might not produce the best possible performance in the upper midrange, and would also require stand-mounting (low SAF).

The solution was to use two high quality 5" drivers optimally suited to Martin King's MLQW transmission line cabinet design, mated to a high quality tweeter. 

The Seas CA15 woofers were an obvious choice to perform bass duties, due to their appropriate electrical and mechanical parameters and extremely smooth and extended response at higher frequencies. 

The Hiquphon 0W2, which is a more sensitive version of the 0W1 used in Dennis' CA0W1 2-way design, was perfectly suited for the design, since it is sensitive enough to keep up with twin CA15 woofers and provides almost ruler-flat response and extremely broad dispersion.  In addition, this tweeter is rugged enough to allow a fairly low crossover frequency with room to spare. 

Since the 0W2 is so expensive, an alternative crossover was also developed using the Vifa dx19 3/4" tweeter.  Although this unit is not quite as smooth as the 0W2, it too can operate safely at low crossover frequencies and sounds very much like the 0W2. 

In either configuration, the sensitivity of the MTM is conservatively rated at 88 dB, and can play a 38 Hz tone at high enough drive levels to set off rattles from loose objects in a typical room.

Here is a picture of the basic design in a prototype cabinet...

The MLQW transmission line cabinets are a sleek 8" wide, 11.25" deep and 44.5" tall (not counting plinths and spikes).

Here is a frequency response plot showing its near ruler-flat response... 

Many speaker companies publish FR plots that are 15-degrees off-axis.  Here's one that shows the designs response at 60 degrees off-axis!

Here's an impedance plot...

And a reverse null simulation...

While the final details have not been worked out, in order to keep the costs to an absolute minimum, cabinets will be available in three or four standard finishes (piano black most likely being one of them).

When the details are finalized, pre-orders will be accepted.

Thanks, in advance, for any name ideas you may have.

- Jim

dB Cooper

Re: Name that speaker
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2007, 03:26 am »
  • Songtower
  • Murphy's Law 8)

Nels Ferre

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2007, 03:29 am »
Jim,

You have PM.

Zero

« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2007, 03:33 am »
Spirit
Sequioa

err. somethin' like that. Beautiful lookin' speaks.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2007, 03:59 am by A6M-ZERO »

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2007, 03:40 am »
Now I was never serious about "George."  I was really angling for "Doris."  Perhaps a name contest is a good idea. 

yooper

« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2007, 04:04 am »
DJ's (Dennis Jim)

S&M  :o  (Salk Murphy)

avalon65

« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2007, 04:59 am »
Jim,

I've followed this thread for about a year and truly feel you are a gifted artist. Your workmanship is outstanding and I one day hope to own a piece of your craftsmanship.

When I saw the photos of your latest creation the first descriptor that popped into my head was stately! They portray elegance, stature and in confidence. My emotions conger up the the descriptors of "Emperor"  or better yet "Empire" as in the Empire State Building. Empire version1 (EMPv1).
 Confident, stately, powerful and in control.

Regards,
"A future HT3 Owner"
LJ

MaxCast

« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2007, 12:22 pm »
In one email, Dennis referred to the speaker as "George."  I told him that simply wouldn't do.  It needed a name that instilled confidence and perhaps pointed toward one or more of its more significant attributes.

Make that, King George.   :D

Veracity HT 1.5

JSDMMKMTM

Veracity MTM

Salk MTM

Salk TL's

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2007, 01:26 pm »
I originally thought incorporating Dennis's initials into the name would have been nice.  I was trying to take the double meaning approach.

Dream Music - Dennis Murphy - Veracity DM

I then thought of using descriptive words about Dennis to name the new speaker and these two words popped into my head, Genuine Symphony. 

Great thread Jim.  I am loving the suggestions guys.

prpixel

« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2007, 02:22 pm »
How about DM Jorga's? 

So, the price of these is going to be about $1500?  Are you going to offer custom finishes for an upcharge?

LadyDog

« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2007, 02:55 pm »
How about tying it back to Dennis' background.

Salk Sinfonia, Salk Symphonia, Salk Concord

R Swerdlow

« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2007, 03:09 pm »
I had the great pleasure of listening to these new MTM speakers this past weekend at Dennis's home, where he has the prototype for these new gems.

I have a pair of CAOW1s, the DIY 2-way monitor that Dennis designed, using essentially the same drivers.  They are my favorite speakers.  Except for bass below 50 Hz, these speakers seem to do everything just right.

When I first heard the new MTMs, I simply could not believe that the same Seas CA15 5¼" woofer (or two of them) could produce such bass.  To say that the "MLQW transmission line cabinet allows a floor-standing speaker to exhibit greater bass extension than a ported design would normally allow" understates what I experienced.  The effortless bass of these speakers seemed to defy the laws of physics.  What's more, it's sound differs to my ears, from that of either a low-Q sealed woofer or a properly designed ported woofer.  Without a better way to describe it, a transmission line produces a third type of bass sound - a horse of a different color - that sounds superior in quality and quantity.

On top of the spectacularly good bass, Dennis has successfully maintained the midrange and treble qualities of the original CAOW1 2-way design.  Both designs have an overall balance that is quite similar, detailed and pleasing.

Needless to say, I like it! 

Because Martin King's transmission line design uses cabinets ¼ the length of the tuning wavelength, I thought a name for these speakers should reflect that:

DM QW - Dennis Murphy Quarter Wave
MTM QW

As an alternative to QW, how about ¼λ, λ¼ or λ/4, where λ (lambda) is wavelength in physics?

DM ¼λ
MTM ¼λ

sts9fan

« Reply #12 on: 10 May 2007, 03:12 pm »
Wicked Awsome Speaker

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #13 on: 10 May 2007, 03:16 pm »
Also it's a really fast plane.
[/quote]

...that crashed and burned.  But I still like the name.  I was toying around with something like "perspectice" because I thought everything sounded in balance.  But concord is better.   Better Google that to find out whether 100 speakers are already called Concord.  

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #14 on: 10 May 2007, 03:30 pm »
Ooops   JBL already has a line of automotive drivers called Concord.  (And KEF had a "Concord" speaker in the 1960's, but that doesn't count, I guess).  I think JBL is bigger than Jim, so please keep those cards and letters coming.

Toka

« Reply #15 on: 10 May 2007, 03:35 pm »
WOW!!  :o  I'm intrigued...perhaps this will make my Salk dreams a reality! How does the imaging/'air' compare to the V3's or HT3's? At that price...man, I can't make any excuses! Nor could anyone else.

Can't come with a better name than has already been suggested, but I like the idea of putting Mr. Murphy's name/initials in it somehow...seems most appropriate!  8)

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #16 on: 10 May 2007, 03:37 pm »
MESA - relates to the response "curve" and are good looking letters, should you want to make a nameplate

ctviggen

« Reply #17 on: 10 May 2007, 03:43 pm »
Such simple changes can be problematic.  A trademark violation is determined using the idea of consumer confusion.  If two products are in similar areas and the names used to identify those products (and the associated manufacturers) are considered to confuse consumers as to the source of the goods, then a trademark violation might occur.  If one company manufacturers drivers using the name "Concord" and you want to manufacture a speaker using the name "Concorde", that could be considered to be confusing to consumers.  

Tirade

« Reply #18 on: 10 May 2007, 04:01 pm »
I liked the Veracity name so maybe something thats synonymous with Veracity.

Candor (Candor V1, V2, HT1 etc etc)

1. the state or quality of being frank, open, and sincere in speech or expression;
2. freedom from bias

Other syonyms

Probity (Probity V1, HT2, etc)

1.integrity and uprightness; honesty. 

Credibility, Sincerity, Impartiality, Integrity, and Precision

Verity (I like this one because it even sounds as if it should be the little brother of the Veracity) You could even go with Veritas which is the latin origin.

1. the state or quality of being true; accordance with fact or reality: to question the verity of a statement. 
2. something that is true, as a principle, belief, idea, or statement: the eternal verities. 

Any of these can be combined with the word Salk

i.e. Salk Sound Sincerity (which has a great ring to it)

Salk Precision V1

Salk Verity HT1

Veritas P1

Salk Probity V2

Salk Candor MTM

Just some ideas.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #19 on: 10 May 2007, 04:13 pm »
Or, in keeping with ADCOM's reputed naming policy, how about GFS?

I am kidding, here! :)