Hot topic for a cool amp: The NS-40

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Hot topic for a cool amp: The NS-40
« on: 2 Jul 2011, 01:07 pm »
Niteshade Audio has been going through some transitions and sharing allot of time with Lamphear Electronics and other absolutely necessary jobs/projects. In past months there has been less bench time. There were some benefits to being less hands-on, believe it or not. These benefits are in the form of the new NS-40. Meet Version III.

I have found that the NS-40 tube stereo amplifier is nearly the perfect amplifier. She peaks at 50 watts per channel and with our DC filament upgrade, it is now ungodly quiet. While working on all the other stuff that was going on, I had time to think about how to present products and improve them.  Some friends in the industry provided some top-notch advice as well.

First, I'd like to say that many people have the wrong idea about how push-pull amplification performs. Instead of putting the words, "push-pull" and "sounds" together, it is more accurate to state how a specific amplifier performs.

The NS-40 utilizes a circuit and specially selected components to enrich what is referred to as low-wattage detail. By enriching, I mean lifting up and out of the noise floor and not modifying.

The two latest amplifiers shipped, AKA: The late amps are Version III of the NS-40.

What has changed?
1. Ground paths
2. Some resistors
3. Wire routes
4. Assembly technique

You may have noticed that V.3 has no changes in these categories:
1. Capacitors
2. Transformers
3. Component orientation

Cost of the changes made: $0.00 !!!
Esoteric materials: NONE!

Can it get any better than that?

Well, it did take time and the opportunity to "stand back" and evaluate the product on an extremely deep level to make improvements. In fact, I have been keeping notes on what I'd like to see different for the past year. Version III is an incredible amp.

All the other gear that I design will take advantage of V.3's improvements where it applies. As usual, there is NO CHARGE for improvements made on a customer's amp if it is caught in an R&D cycle.

I will post more details on the NS-40 V.3 soon.

Tangent Topic:

Two new preamps are coming out soon. Actually, not new exactly, but with some capabilities not seen in the NS preamp line. Both have to be finished soon... More details later this month.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
Re: Hot topic for a cool amp: The NS-40
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jul 2011, 01:23 pm »
Some changes have been made to the DC Filament upgrade:

A new 72W, 12.6V supply is being used that is fanless. This is now the standard filament supply for all single ended and NS-40 amplifiers. A 145 watt supply is available as well. The larger supply is best for tubes with a higher filament draw, such as EL34's & KT88's.

Present specifications on the NS-40 make it operate best with the 6L6 family of tubes, thus the change in power supplies. Larger tubes will make little, if any difference in performance.

NS-40 tube rolling:
What can be used:

1. 5881's
2. 6L6 GC's
3. 6L6WXT
4. 6L6 WXT+ **
5. 6L6GA (be careful!!)

Stay away from cheap Chinese 6L6's (The $8.99 tubes)

The amp is designed to pump a considerable amount of current through a 6L6, yet it does it gently and with the proper bias setting, based on heat output, even vintage tubes will sound and work flawlessly.

6L6GA's are typically vintage. By being careful, I mean these have to be biased to run a little cooler than a modern 6L6.

Metal 6L6's: Good choice! They sound sweet!!! I have a few rusty ones that sound pristine and are capable of handling plenty of current.

**6L6WXT+: A VERY unique, inexpensive wonderful tube. Try them! A cross between a EL34 and 6L6GC. Best of both worlds. Efficient, rugged, clean sounding and they love to process high current.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 2 Jul 2011, 01:23 pm »
What does it cost for the upgrade for someone to send an amp back?  Turn around time?

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #3 on: 2 Jul 2011, 01:35 pm »
The parts cost is minimal, about $20.00. Labor will  be around $200.00.

What is done:
1. Remove components to be upgraded as well as up to 50% of the wires and some terminals. Some terminals will be relocated.
2. Clean up the areas to be rebuilt for good electro-mechanical contacts
3. Install new resistors, wiring and possibly terminal strips.

It is time consuming to do it right and make it look like nobody has ever been under there. The circuit has not changed much, it's mostly about wiring and resistor values as well as resistor types.

Turn around time: TBA. I will be able to tell you once the second shop is completed.

What does it cost for the upgrade for someone to send an amp back?  Turn around time?

djbnh

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jul 2011, 02:30 pm »
Thank you for the update.

gcos

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jul 2011, 02:37 pm »
woww...now I can't sleep until my baby arrives...Thanks to starkiller I now have two sets of quads to roll, both of which are favs of Blair..the sovtek WXT+ and the Tungsol 5881 s. It will be a while b4 I try them though because I am sure Blair's stock will be sweet out of the box !!

gcos

« Reply #6 on: 7 Sep 2011, 11:41 pm »
Some changes have been made to the DC Filament upgrade:

A new 72W, 12.6V supply is being used that is fanless. This is now the standard filament supply for all single ended and NS-40 amplifiers. A 145 watt supply is available as well. The larger supply is best for tubes with a higher filament draw, such as EL34's & KT88's.

Present specifications on the NS-40 make it operate best with the 6L6 family of tubes, thus the change in power supplies. Larger tubes will make little, if any difference in performance.

NS-40 tube rolling:
What can be used:

1. 5881's
2. 6L6 GC's
3. 6L6WXT
4. 6L6 WXT+ **
5. 6L6GA (be careful!!)

Stay away from cheap Chinese 6L6's (The $8.99 tubes)

Has anyone tried the Valve Arts 350B in the NS40? Can it be used ?

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #7 on: 8 Sep 2011, 11:40 am »
I never used the VA 350B but have been curious about it. Seems I recall it uses more filament current than a 6L6. I will look for a spec. sheet.

gcos

« Reply #8 on: 17 Sep 2011, 02:58 pm »
I never used the VA 350B but have been curious about it. Seems I recall it uses more filament current than a 6L6. I will look for a spec. sheet.

I see on the blogs they say it is closer to a 5881 than a 6L6GC ..any luck finding the spec sheet ?

6L6PPP

« Reply #9 on: 17 Sep 2011, 09:06 pm »

http://www.tubezone.net/pdf/we350b.pdf

I see on the blogs they say it is closer to a 5881 than a 6L6GC ..any luck finding the spec sheet ?

gcos

« Reply #10 on: 17 Sep 2011, 11:13 pm »

http://www.tubezone.net/pdf/we350b.pdf
That spec sheet is for the original WE350B..hopefully the copy from ValveArt is the same.