The virtues of tube & ss amplification + a note on power

Bigfish

Blair:

I find the topic of this discussion to be quite timely as I am currently evaluating a tube amp and a hybrid amp in my system.  The Odyssey Mono SEs I have used the past three years are now being enjoyed by a new owner.  Both of the amps I am evaluating, a BAT VK-60 and a Moscode 402AU, are very nice sounding amps.  The midrange from the BAT tube amp is die for and it produces an amazing soundstage with my Usher Dancer Mini II Speakers.  The Moscode does not quite duplicate the tube amps midrange but the bass it produces is amazing, much better than does BAT.  This is going to be a very difficult choice for me.  Tube midrange versus the tight, distinct bass produced by the 400 watt hybrid.

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
The virtues of tube & ss amplification + a note on power
« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2010, 01:42 pm »
Wattage is not just about more volume. Wattage is about energy control. High power amps can manage energy distribution and absorption much better than low power amps. People tend to believe that an amp's power rating has nothing to do with performance. It doesn't have everything to do with sound quality, but it is a contributor and that cannot be ignored.

How much power becomes a contributor to sound quality is mainly dependent on the speakers being used. For example, some efficient speakers have a high dynamic range and can absorb a substantial amount of power. They will play well with single digit-watt amps but will really shine when submitted to a matching amp that can deliver power with authority and precision. Power is mainly about speaker control and dynamic range reproduction, not simply wholesale loudness. Low efficiency speakers naturally always perform better with high power amps. I hear reports of small amps driving them well from time to time. I cannot sell an amp and say, "Well- it will work good if you don't turn it up much."  I match speakers & amps by performance relative to high impact listening sessions and never low impact ones.

I have a tendency to suggest high power amps to people even with high efficiency speakers. It is a wive's tale that high power amps have to sound worse than low powered ones. The stereotype is born from this fact: It is easier to build low powered amps than it is to build high power amps. If a high powered amp is not designed right, it will sound worse than a lowered powered high quality model. There are many wive's tales out there- and the debunking thread is a good place for that.

BTW: There is a thread about power in this circle.

What you are experiencing is typical of tube vs ss amp comparisons. The tube amp is good at imaging and details while the SS one has more bass ability. Perhaps neither model is what you want? It sounds like the chasm in performance between the two is too deep to ever be totally satisfied with either one.

Note: You have to choose a model that gets both the qualities you desire in one package. There is no reason to compromise so much. A good amp, tube or solid state or hybrid can get it all right. Those two models, while probably good amps, just don't fit your requirements.

gerald porzio

Re: The virtues of tube & ss amplification + a note on power
« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2010, 02:45 pm »
Spkr. control is directly related to damping factor NOT high power. It's the woofers that require control due to excursion. MRs & tweeters require significanly less damping. Buy an inefficient spkr., & then you need pwr. along w/ a high damping factor.

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #3 on: 11 Apr 2010, 03:24 pm »
More output devices can aid towards a better damping factor due to creating a lower output impedance. I wasn't speaking solely about damping. I have found that resolution increases with power regarding some speakers, especially low efficiency ones. Power lends itself to better enunciation when demands upon the amp are high.

gerald porzio

« Reply #4 on: 11 Apr 2010, 04:33 pm »
I quite agree. It didn't seem as apparent as it could be which is why I chimed in.