NS-60 base model configuration vs. options

PeterCapo

NS-60 base model configuration vs. options
« on: 15 Jan 2012, 02:37 am »

Contemplating the NS-60 but am not clear on the base model configuration vs. options.  On the website under the "Push-Pull Amps" link, there is a list of specifications under the NS-60 with custom options image that gives the impression that most if not all of the listed items are included with the amp.

Then, under the "Prices" link, the NS-60 is listed at $1,600, and not far below that is a list of "Amplifier Options (Where Applicable)."

Not sure what is applicable or not, relative to the base price.  Blair, can you please clarify what comes standard and exactly what is optional for the NS-60?

Thank you.
Peter

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Re: NS-60 base model configuration vs. options
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2012, 01:57 pm »
A base model amplifier will appear like this NS-40:

All base models have a steel enclosure and are painted with the color you choose free of charge.
Base model features include:
1) Variable Feedback
2) Tunable Biasing

**The NS-15 does not come standard with Tunable Biasing. All the other tube amplifiers do.**

There are several options available for amplifiers:
1] DC Filaments
2] Wood wrap or side trim
3] Tube rectification
4] Active or passive integrated **
5] Switchable tube/solid state rectification
6] Dual push-pull rectification for 30w/ch amps and up
7] 6550 Tube upgrade w/ TungSol 6SN7GTB (includes DC filament upgrade)**
8] 6L6WXT+ Tube Upgrade w/ TungSol 6SN7GTB **
9] Customized Extra Heavy Duty filament power supply **
10] Tube sockets

**NOTE: I have to update the web page regarding upgrades. The new upgrades which are NOT listed on the site will be added shortly.

Upgrades are changed as products go through design changes.

How to choose upgrades: The best approach is to ask me. Once I know about your system parameters and listening preferences, choosing upgrades is easy.

Our most popular upgrade is the DC filament option. It is one of the few upgrades in the audio industry that dramatically improves audio quality by not introducing ANY components to the audio circuit. It works by providing pure, high current, regulated DC to every tube filament. Elimination of all AC close to the audio circuits dramatically improves the capture of details often lost in floor noise.

What I do not have in my upgrades list: Controversial upgrades. These include various resistors, capacitors, tubes, transformers, etc....
Even our base model amplifiers can be considered fully upgraded in regards to all components. Industrial/commercial components are used in all amplifiers. All are name brand and have specification sheets. All of them are proven reliable performers. An upgrade becomes controversial when I can not tell you the specific advantages of it or whether you would be able to see a dramatic performance improvement.

Note on controversial upgrades: I do not dismiss all of them. If you have a desire to have something made around a specific set of components, that is not an issue. Many people know what they want and I'll be happy to go over your dream amp or preamp with you.

I forgot to add: Discounts are given for multiple upgrades and it's not just a few dollars. Typically it's very significant. I also provide complete system discounts and upgrade discounts are given with system orders & discounts as well. Amp & Preamp combos always have discounts, even on base model systems.

PeterCapo

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2012, 04:30 pm »
Thank you.

Do the 6SN7 tubes in the NS-60 have to be matched for electrical performance parameters, such as matched and balanced triode sections, etc?  Do the triodes within each 6SN7 need to be matched, or would corresponding triodes between channels need to be matched?

If they do not require matching, would the amplifier benefit from them being matched?

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2012, 03:21 pm »
The only tubes that have to be matched are the power tubes. 6SN7's do not have to be matched in any way. There have never been any issues with good tubes.