XBaffle responses

2litre

XBaffle responses
« on: 12 Oct 2006, 11:34 pm »
Hi all,

I was tinkering with Xbaffle the last couple of days.
How well does it model driver characteristics?

I plugged my system into it, uuggh, horrible! But the darn things sound nice.
I put the SI's and Augies into, super nice response curve! I thought "Does it really sound like it looks here? Am I really missing ALL OF THAT in my system!?"

Anyway, specifically the "Frequency Response (one woofer)" chart or screen.
Does this screen accurately display the frequency response relationships, like when comparing a driver of say .37 Qts to the SI Augies with their .92 Qts? Now the exact points might be different I know, but the graphical representation is correct?

So one could look at this screen and say "If I had a .92 Qts driver I would be up +6db at 40Hz as compared to what I've got now" and have it be real close to true when implemented.

R/

Jim

hurdy_gurdyman

Re: XBaffle responses
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2006, 03:25 am »
Hmmm, I don't know anything about Xbaffle, but I do know the SI/Augie combo (when properly hooked up), on a 24 inch wide by 36 inch tall baffle, will get a pretty flat bass down to around 30 Hz.

Dave :)

2litre

« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct 2006, 03:08 pm »
I realize that it's a projection but if the projections are fairly close it makes a great tool.
Its inner workings are locked with the roll off slope set at 2nd order (I guess to correctly model roll off below baffle support).

I used the advertised data along with the Qes and Qms Darrel provided in a post on the Hawthorne Forums.
It graphs the SI beginning to roll off at 60Hz and the Augie beginning to roll off at 40Hz. It also only graphs a less than 1db Qts hump for the octave above Fs. And it graphs the SI down -3db at 35Hz and the Augie down -3db at 25Hz.

That sounds pretty close to what you're experiencing Dave.

When I modeled one of my two systems (don't have any idea the T/S of the other mutts drivers) it showed me a roll off point of just under 300Hz and a -3db point of 65Hz, hence the comment "Am I really missing ALL OF THAT in my system". And as bad as that sounds, the system actually is very pleasing to listen to.

But what if...........

R/

Jim

hurdy_gurdyman

« Reply #3 on: 13 Oct 2006, 04:06 pm »

I used the advertised data along with the Qes and Qms Darrel provided in a post on the Hawthorne Forums.
It graphs the SI beginning to roll off at 60Hz and the Augie beginning to roll off at 40Hz. It also only graphs a less than 1db Qts hump for the octave above Fs. And it graphs the SI down -3db at 35Hz and the Augie down -3db at 25Hz.

That sounds pretty close to what you're experiencing Dave.

I have a room problem that causes a bit of suck-out at 40 Hz where I have my baffles located, so makes my coaxial weaker there than it should be, thus the 50 Hz roll-off I've mentioned. Your figures are probably close to right-on. Individual rooms, of course, will have differing effects. The SI OB 15 Coaxial, by itself, is impressive. I've tried moving it around and once measured -3 dB in the mid to upper 30 dB's. Unfortunately, it was not a good spot to put a speaker (I wish to remain married, so chose to move it.) It sounds and measures best well out into the room. This is best with bigger rooms. Smaller rooms are a compromise, though may improve with the right room treatment, but they still sound quite good. I'm real happy with mine, though I do have some corner treatment in mind.

Dave :)

Rudolf

« Reply #4 on: 13 Oct 2006, 09:58 pm »
I was tinkering with Xbaffle the last couple of days.
How well does it model driver characteristics?

Hi,
nice to see the usual suspects all meeting in this place too.  :thumb:
While it´s questionable whether we need another loudspeaker forum for discussion, this seems to be the first one exclusívely committed to OBs. So maybe it is a good choice to concentrate that issue in this place.

Let me jump right into the pool:
I have compared the same OB with the same driver in Xlbaffle and in MJKs OB worksheet. The OB is presented in www.dipolplus.de/thema9.htm#03 . Driver is the Ciare 250 with the specs from the Ciare home page. Because Xlbaffle does not account for listening distance, I put that in the worksheet to 10 m. The distance from OB to front wall is 50 cm. Since MJKs worksheet doesn´t expect any side wall, I put the side wall distance in Xlbaffle to 10 m.

While Thorstens Xlbaffle has been a great help in the past, he would readily admit that MJKs worksheets are quite more sophisticated.

To give you a guideline how big the influence of front wall reflections is, I have simulated the same OB with (blue) and without (red) those reflections:

The boundary conditions are different for this sim (more front wall distance, less listening distance). So don´t get disturbed by the different FR curve.

Adding everything up - MJKs OB worksheets are some big improvement on that XLbaffle.xls

Rudolf
www.dipolplus.de