500 GB HP NAS

Martyn

500 GB HP NAS
« on: 14 Aug 2007, 06:08 am »
Hi, guys. This is my first post to the Square Circle.

I have started editing digital home movies on my PC and then burning them to DVD. This is working fine, but I want to keep the DVD file on my PC in case I lose the disc. Trouble is, one DVD file takes up about 25 GB, so now my poor old PC is full. I decided to buy a NAS so that I could move all my video stuff over there and free up my PC for its more typical household duties. Then it occurred to me that I could probably use the NAS as a music server as well if I were to buy a Squeezebox one day. I haven't really figured out music servers yet, but it'll probably be the way to go for a second audio system that I have in mind.

To get to the point, I have an HP MV2020 500 GB unit on order. When it arrives and I figure out how to work it, is there anything that I should do from the outset to facilitate its later use as a music server? (I'm obviously not a computer nut, so I'll need simple answers).

Thanks for your guidance on this.

EchiDna

Re: 500 GB HP NAS
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2007, 12:52 pm »
martyn, nothing special comes to mind - but depending on how you set it up you could also stream your video files as an added bonus

Martyn

« Reply #2 on: 18 Aug 2007, 04:58 am »
Thanks, EchiDna (I think we met on the AKSA circle maybe a year ago). The NAS should arrive any day now. I didn't want to spend a lot of time setting it up and transferring files only to find later that I should have partitioned the drive or done something equally esoteric. Streaming video is an interesting idea. What are the implications of your comment: "depending on how you set it up..."?

dwk

« Reply #3 on: 18 Aug 2007, 06:56 am »

I have the 300GB HP MediaVault, and have been very happy with it. I suggest joining the Yahoo support group - one of the engineers that worked on the development is very active, and there is a wealth of info there. I only use mine as a file/print server, so can't help on the media server side.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/HPMediaVault/

EchiDna

« Reply #4 on: 18 Aug 2007, 02:37 pm »
Thanks, EchiDna (I think we met on the AKSA circle maybe a year ago). The NAS should arrive any day now. I didn't want to spend a lot of time setting it up and transferring files only to find later that I should have partitioned the drive or done something equally esoteric. Streaming video is an interesting idea. What are the implications of your comment: "depending on how you set it up..."?

ah ok :)

streaming video can be done as long as your player (where the TV is) is a network device - many dvd palyers have this capability for example, or you can get cheap non-branded "media streaming devices" from any PC shop which can pull photos, video etc from a server/NAS and display them on a screen... they often do audio too, but honestly, the squeezebox is a far superior route for sound

Martyn

« Reply #5 on: 18 Aug 2007, 03:04 pm »
Thanks, DWK, I'll do that. EchiDna, this sounds useful. I'd like to be able to proof my videos on my 50" TV before burning, plus I haven't discovered how to run slides shows on the TV from my PC yet. MY TV has a network socket. My DVD player doesn't, but I'll be buying a universal player soon. Thanks for all your help, guys.