VR-35

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
Re: VR-35
« Reply #40 on: 24 Aug 2011, 06:03 pm »
I didn't know you were a former owner of VR5 Anniversaries.  What's the story behind no longer owning them??  :scratch:

Jaco Pastorius

• On a sinkin ship,women and rythm section first!
« Reply #41 on: 25 Aug 2011, 08:13 am »
It was mostly because I felt it was too much money invested in hifi.I also got a little fed up by having speakers occupying the middle of the room,which I felt was where the VR5 performed the best,and I also felt the VR5 needed a bigger room than mine to really shine.
That said,I love the VR5Annies!  :) 

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #42 on: 26 Aug 2011, 04:40 pm »
Hello Rune,

Good to see the VR 35 is doing well at your place.

Just received a message from Enjoy the Music, the VSA VR 35 Export Deluxe received a Blue Note Award.

So, I knew we are on the right track.

Enjoy.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #43 on: 26 Aug 2011, 04:59 pm »
Hey Cor..

Are you attending RMAF this year?

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #44 on: 26 Aug 2011, 07:40 pm »
Hey Gavin,

I liked the RMAF last year and love to come again but I have a lot of work to do these days so probably I have to pass this year.

Cor

Jaco Pastorius

« Reply #45 on: 27 Aug 2011, 01:59 pm »
Thanks Cor!

I think Albert has made speakers in the VR-33 and VR-35 that will sell good.
My impressions has balanced out some,I have a tendency to be a little too enthusiastic in the start when getting a new good product  :) ,but I do believe this is a speaker I really will enjoy playing music with for many years  :) 

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #46 on: 28 Aug 2011, 03:23 am »
I liked the RMAF last year and love to come again but I have a lot of work to do these days so probably I have to pass this year.

Cor

That's too bad. I was looking forward to seeing you again this year. The VR-33 & VR-35 will not be there this year (at least not in the VS rooms). I am looking forward to hearing what the Von Schweikert / Purity Audio Design combination will bring to the table in October :thumb:

Jaco Pastorius

« Reply #47 on: 20 Sep 2011, 10:27 am »
It seems like the VR-35 are still improving and developing.I really have no idea how many hours they have been used,but they should have over 500 hours now,but still they seem to improve.I think they have fleshed out,even better balance and coherence,they sound bigger,more depth,width,height,and they just sound even more natural and more musical engaging now.
For a while I used a Class D Hypex UcD400 DIY amplifier which sounds very good on my VR-2, but it just sounded to dry,edgy and sterile to my taste on the VR-35,so I switched back to the wonderful Consonance M800SE,75w in ultralineer mode,EL34 output tubes,6SN7 driver and 6922/ECC88 input,and I am very impressed how easy the VR-35 are to drive.I was less satisfied with the same tubeamp on VR5Anniversary,I do not think "smaller" tubeamps likes those 4ohms bass-cabinets... VR-35 seems to be an easier load for such amplifiers.
I also used a MusicAngel EL34 I guess around 35-40w integrated,and it REALLY surprised me how loud it could play on the VR-35 before it loosed its grip !!
I would never have guessed VR-35 would be such an easy load with a big 10" driver and "only" 90dB efficiency......

But yesterday I put back on the Class D amplifier,and now the speakers seems to have got richer in tone,it now sounds more natural,all instruments have more natural bloom,and a kind of harshness or edginess that I heard before with this amp seems to have dissapeared.

These are great speakers !  :thumb: 

BigSwede

« Reply #48 on: 20 Sep 2011, 07:31 pm »
My amp is a Class D of sorts (Bel Canto eVo2i Gen II). I think it sounds wonderful with my VR-33s.

whie4x

« Reply #49 on: 21 Sep 2011, 02:24 am »
Hi everyone,

Had the VR-35 since Feb 2011 and i must say, the best speaker i heard for my very small room... Just love the bass on the monster...

Been reading this owner's circle for a long time before i decided on the purchase them. I had previously corresponded with Albert and the rest was history.

Just wanted to say a BIG "THANK YOU" to Albert for being patient with my inquisitive emails.

Cheers and peace!!!

Delacroix

« Reply #50 on: 23 Sep 2011, 12:34 am »
Welcome to the club "whie4x"

Now you're here, no need to be a lurker :)

Best

P.

whie4x

« Reply #51 on: 23 Sep 2011, 02:57 am »
Thanks Dela...

Jaco Pastorius

« Reply #52 on: 24 Sep 2011, 10:21 am »
Thanks to those sharing in this thread !  :)
I hope this thread can be a place to share experience about VR-35,ask questions,aso.

I have now tried playing with the bass only and front-array only,and it both surpriced me how low the front goes,seems to be flat down to the crossover point at 80Hz,I could easily hear(and feel :thumb: )  much of both bassdrums and upgright-basses and similar.And the 10" on the back sounds like it rolls off with 6dB only from the 80Hz crossover point,I hear more midrange information from this 10" than I did from the basscabinets on both VR4Jr and VR4genIII even though those 2 are crossed over at 150-200Hz,but I guess those 2 use 4.order crossovers,so they should drop by 24dB.
Because the 10" have quite a bit lower midrange information that could mean that it might not be quite as suited for biamping with 2 different types amplifiers on top and bottom,but I am running a Hypex Class D on the bass now and a KT88 tube amp on the top,and it plays very well.It isn't quite as coherent as with one amplifier only,but its fun with a good portion of power for the 10" and some sweet sounding lower powered watts on the top  :thumb:

whie4x

« Reply #53 on: 24 Sep 2011, 05:04 pm »
Wow... I'd never would have thought of trying them in this manner...

Cool...

:-)

zugisland

« Reply #54 on: 3 Nov 2011, 09:29 pm »
has anyoen else recently bought the awesome VR 35's

JackD201

« Reply #55 on: 5 Nov 2011, 01:26 am »
Billy (O.D. Yeo) did but he's out of town and I'm flying to the U.S. today. His VR-35s are still in their crates and them crates are in my hallway. Keith will be setting it up for him. I've been wanting to hear these speakers for a long time. I'll just have to wait a few more days.

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #56 on: 6 Nov 2011, 03:21 pm »
I have two pairs of VR-35s and the "matching" LCR-4 on order...  looking forward to see how they do in 2 channel and in surround sound listening...

The ability to run them close to wall boundaries was a big selling point for me.  The theater room these will be going in isn't very big and to get the seating and viewing angles I want, you can't really have speakers way out into the room....  I'm thinking these VR-35s are going to be perfect given how they allow closer to the wall placement.  I'll have a number of different amplification choices, from a couple 6C33C based tube options to various hybrid amp models.  It should be interesting to see what they sound like and what gear combination works best.

I haven't had VSA speakers on display in a while.  Try as I might with the dozens of other speakers I've tried since, there's just something about Albert's designs that is right up my alley.  VSA's house sound is very different than the Usher and Harbeth models I also have on display... The VSA won't be replacing those speaker models, just complimenting them.  Each of them are absolutely spectacular in their own way.  The perk is I get to choose which to listen to based on my mood that day :)

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #57 on: 6 Nov 2011, 05:23 pm »
I heard a pair of Harbeths at the RMAF this year and thought they made some of the better sound that we heard.  Having started out with AR speakers back in the 60s, I especially appreciate the simplicity of their cabinets...a retro look.

audiobat

« Reply #58 on: 16 Nov 2011, 06:44 pm »
Heard the VR-35's last year at the RMAF, for the money they were just fantastic.
Detail, bass, effortless sound I thought.
I also like the VR-33's for $4K, especially the $4K part.

Great that these designs can go up close to the wall, makes wife acceptance easier I would think.
Glad that my music room is off limits to the wife!

BigSwede

« Reply #59 on: 17 Nov 2011, 07:33 pm »
I would not have bought the VR-33s if I could not put them close to the wall. They are working great in my smallish living room, 9" from the wall. To me, $4K is a lot of money and I wouldn't spend that much on speakers that would be compromised by their location in my situation.