The turntable that would make a digital audiophile convert back to analog?

rbbert

....a Technics SL1200MKII DD ...
:lol: :lol:  sorry, that doesn't wash...

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
No such TT exists.  :lol:

Neither does a digital audiophile……... :icon_twisted:

vortrex

I would not spend a lot on the cart.  You would be amazed/shocked how much performance you can get out of a cheap cart if you have the right supporting equipment.  If you have a limited budget, don't spend it on the one piece that is a wear item.

Wayner

:lol: :lol:  sorry, that doesn't wash...

You don't have a clue....

rbbert

You don't have a clue....
You know, I'm actually very familiar with that turntable, and even some with different tonearms grafted on.  No matter, you like what you like, but I'd be quite surprised if any LP playback system involving a Technics SL1200II convinced anyone with a decent CD player, much less any hires digital playback, to get interested in LPs.

geowak

Once again, fellow AC members have pitched in to give insight and education. I thank you. There are many great recommendations here, not to mention all the tips, experience and wisdom on the analog side. I have some research to do now. The dealer I have here in Ohio will let me test drive a Well Tempered turntable, or a Shindo Garrard (bigger bucks). But of course, I will need an attempt? to listen to as many as I can. I don't know what I will budget, but I am sure I can find one I like, by auditioning many of the ones listed here.

BTW what kind of budget would I need for a phono preamp? I have one now, but's it's I think it will be the weak link in the chain. I imagine it's lower end, since it's built into my preamp. I am leaning toward a used Parasound JC3.

vortrex

I think the Shindo Player System is around $30k.

You should really look into the Allnic 1201 phono pre.

geowak

I think the Shindo Player System is around $30k.

You should really look into the Allnic 1201 phono pre.

Yes that TT is really outside my budget, and he does not sell many of them. The WTL models are moving quickly from his shop.

jimdgoulding

Three that made Stereophile's best list that retail for under 1.5k and include tonearms are the VPI Traveler, the Clearaudio Concept, and the Rega 3.  That's where I'd be looking.  Then there is the expense of a phono cartridge.  An affordable phono pre is the Bugle 2 from Hagtech for $189.00 or the Vista for another hundred.  Both are excellent in my experience if an outboard phono pre is needed.

rif

• Not a cowboy
I went with a VPI HW19 Mk IV, with a good Wall Mount and am very happy with the results.

I think the Wall Mount (on an exterior wall) plays a large part in the sound. I don't have anything to back up that claim however. I know my 7 year old can jump up and down and it doesn't bother it.

jupiterboy

I started back in with a vintage Rotel. Not good. Saved up and bought a Sota Comet III when they were new and $300 less than today. That did it for me. It is really quiet, doesn’t excite the sound, and with a few mods remains the best source in my system.

jimdgoulding

Well, SOTA has large pedigree.  A pal in the audio society I belong to has a top of the line SOTA from 10 years ago I'm guessing with a linear tracking air bearing arm and a very expensive Lyra Titan One.  I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt cause he could have anything he wants and he has a SOTA.

Motoman4540

$30K for a turntable is war too rich for my blood, but in my music system (Plinius pre, Plinius SA100 Mark III power amp, Joseph Audio speakers, Cardas Gold Gross  speaker wire, Au24 power cables, Theta Digital CD Player), I use a Music Hall 5.1 for my vinyl.  very nice and extremely reasonably priced at <$1,000.  All my vinyl is meticulously cleaned with a VPI 16.5 record cleaning machine to keep them pristine.

a.wayne

One of if not the best TT i have ever heard was a SOTA  with a linear tracking airbearing arm and at that time an Alpha genesis cartridge . The Sota and that arm combination is very hard to beat, excellent really...

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
I have the SOTA with the ET-2 linear arm and a Dynavector cart.  Love it!

Bought the TT used nearly 30 years ago, replaced the motor and bearing a few years back.  Basic SOTAs seem to go reasonable  but without the original box ares a bitch to ship.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
I almost doubt that a "digital audiophile" who's ever had a TT system is necessarily "converting back" regardless of the sound quality, mostly for reasons of convenience.  Even with a good TT system, you have the issue of LP maintenance, listening to 30 minutes max at a time before having to get up, dealing with perishable stylus and the risk / fear of something getting easily damaged or knocked out of optimum placement. All that's mainly ok if you listen only occasionally or for 1-2 albums per sitting, but can be more of a hassle if you either listen for a lot longer, or frequently only have sporadic sub 1hr listening opportunities.

Nonetheless, with respect to sound quality, I would agree with others that for the most part it takes a minimum investment of $2 - 4K ($2K being used / demo ; $4k being new / preferable) before you start to get a TT system that can do some of the magic that only the very best digital can.  That's what it took for me : a VPI Traveler (demo), Ortofon Rondo Bronze (used), Sonic Frontiers SFP1 Signature tube phono preamp (used), for about a total of $2k (VPI record cleaner, interconnects etc not included). 

These days, I'd start with a Scout 1.1 ($1995) as the VPI Traveler needs to be fixed back to the quality of the first gen or better.  I.e. a better motor and improving the finish (glossy vs pebbled and other things).  The extra $500 is money well spent on a better motor, arm, and platter.

The Soundsmith Zephry Mk II at $1,200 retail is also fantastic.  I've been demoing this combo lately and it really does most everything well and can give you many years of happy use. 

Soundsmith and others have good phono preamps around the $500 mark.

So total investment about $3,700 (sans RCM).

You could do a Traveler (when they fix it) + a Ortofon 2M Black or Soundsmith Carmen for about $2K - 2,200 (a grand less new), but for a new TT / cartridge combo, that would probably be for a new TT / cart combo the minimum you'd want to do for a high end digital source equal or beating TT system. You might be able to get away with spending $500 less if you chose a used VPI HW19 + used cartridge.

JackD201

I was a digital only guy for a long time. I'd like to think that my digital wasn't bad at all. I was using a Tascam Pro unit as transport into a Levinson DAC via AES/EBU. Today I still listen to many CDs, am also into Hi-Rez and also deeeeeeeep into LP. Call me format agnostic. When fortunate enough to have long stretches of time for myself and only myself, I've gone on listening binges over 10 hours many times, most of which is LP. First table upon returning to LP was a VPI Aries 2 with a JMW arm and a Clearaudio Strad. Phonostage was a BAT VK-P10 Super Pack.

At the moment I feel I am very satisfied with all formats. There is a time and place for each as far as I'm concerned. The main issue for me is what I actually have the music I want to listen to is in. I even listen to MP3 if that's all I can get it in. Okay, call me a format agnostic music addict.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
In my case it was a Well Tempered Labs Classic, an Ortofon 2M Black cartridge and a Jolida JD9 phono stage.
Good bye, CDs!

PMAT

The question is what reference points the op has. If its the vague memory of a Thorens 20 years go then any one of the lesser ideas might just floor the jaw. I gave up a refined TT many years ago and my latest foray into vinyl was a big surprise in quality that I had not expected. My digital reference point was low. Geowak may have great digital reference but many would say only the best digital comes close to vinyl but still cant touch it sonically.
I'm just saying maybe $5k to $10k might even be overkill. $2 k done right per Wayner may be plenty. It's all bullshit anyway until the needle hits the groove.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!

I'm just saying maybe $5k to $10k might even be overkill. $2 k done right per Wayner may be plenty. It's all bullshit anyway until the needle hits the groove.

+1!    :thumb: