DIY Ultrasonic album cleaner

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: DIY Ultrasonic album cleaner
« Reply #140 on: 17 Jan 2017, 03:10 am »
He's this incredibly talented and funny guy that gives great advice and hang around here. :thumb:

Batman Basmati

• I do what I please, and I do it with ease.
« Reply #141 on: 17 Jan 2017, 03:11 am »
Oh I see now.  SClark is a full member.  :green:

Folsom

« Reply #142 on: 17 Jan 2017, 03:28 am »
I guess we all have our own ways to describe someone :roll:

S Clark

« Reply #143 on: 17 Jan 2017, 03:32 am »
Batman, if the question was straight up, then I'm the guy that revived this thread when Chinese ultrasonic cleaners became available cheap.  The last thing I added was  my experience that vacuuming the cleaning fluid reduced noise more than simply letting the records dry. 

Batman Basmati

« Reply #144 on: 18 Jan 2017, 04:23 am »
Cavitation erosion can happen at any frequency, right?

Batman Basmati

« Reply #145 on: 18 Jan 2017, 04:28 am »
Batman, if the question was straight up, then I'm the guy that revived this thread when Chinese ultrasonic cleaners became available cheap.  The last thing I added was  my experience that vacuuming the cleaning fluid reduced noise more than simply letting the records dry.

So was it that the vacuuming reduced the noise significantly or do you think it was the type of ultrasonic cleaners that were on the scene?  Are there any studies as to the difference between evaporation (letting them dry) vs. vacuuming?  Because, it seems to me, there could be a wide range of results from the machine used to even the types of cleaning agents left to dry.

Also asked you on another thread about cavitation.  I have a large collection of vinyl, which has seen a lot of wear and cleaning over the years.  Wondering what is the best way to preserve the vinyl at this point...and am I actually reducing the life of the records by cleaning too much?

S Clark

« Reply #146 on: 18 Jan 2017, 04:42 am »
I can only relate my experiences, and I'm sure that there have been no studies regarding U.S. cleaning of lp's.  I find that the bottom of my tank builds up a film of debris after cleaning a dozen or so records.  My suspicion is that some of this remains suspended while cleaning and would find its way into the groove if the solution just evaporated.  It is also my experience that records that were not vacuumed did have more tics and pops.  I've had a vacuum cleaner for years, and it isn't as effective as combining it with U.S. cleaning. 
Regarding degradation due to damage by cavitation,  it is possible that vinyl could degrade if left for days, but I don't see it happening during a three minute cleaning, during which portions of the lp may actually only be exposed for a minute or so.  I don't find a need to put my timer any higher. 
As to frequencies, I've read that lower frequencies can be more aggressive in cleaning... so I assume they would have a more rapid cavitation erosion.  Again, I don't think it's a problem.  You U.S. clean a record once, put it in a new sleeve and it shouldn't need it again. 

tonyptony

« Reply #147 on: 18 Jan 2017, 02:32 pm »
Same!  Definitely interested.

-Jim

Mike, add me to the folks interested.

orientalexpress

« Reply #148 on: 18 Jan 2017, 03:39 pm »
add me also ,Mike :thumb:

Batman Basmati

« Reply #149 on: 18 Jan 2017, 04:06 pm »
You U.S. clean a record once, put it in a new sleeve and it shouldn't need it again.

I have cleaned my several times over their lives in my posession, using solution, not vacuum.  Wondering now.

S Clark

« Reply #150 on: 18 Jan 2017, 04:25 pm »
I have cleaned my several times over their lives in my posession, using solution, not vacuum.  Wondering now.
It depends on the environment in which the record is played.  I find that I may need to brush a record after playing as crap falls on it from the air, or on dry days static causes it to pick up a Jack Russell terrier hair or two.  Occasionally, I'll screw up and get a fingerprint on one.  So there may be a reason to re-clean... but not often.

Also, vacuum cleaning is a big step up from simple washing and scrubbing, and U.S. is a step up from just vacuuming. 

Batman Basmati

« Reply #151 on: 19 Jan 2017, 02:39 am »
Why don't we just Swiffer (TM)(R) them?  I am serious.  No brush, Swiff?

Batman Basmati

« Reply #152 on: 19 Jan 2017, 02:42 am »
Batman, if the question was straight up,

@SClark--which question and what does that mean, if it was straight up? 

S Clark

« Reply #153 on: 19 Jan 2017, 03:02 am »
Do what works for you.  For me, ultrasonic cleaning is the best way I've encountered for cleaning records.  I recommend it, and now it's affordable. 

Batman Basmati

« Reply #154 on: 20 Jan 2017, 05:54 pm »
Do what works for you.  For me, ultrasonic cleaning is the best way I've encountered for cleaning records.  I recommend it, and now it's affordable.

What price range do you consider affordable? 

SteveRB

« Reply #155 on: 20 Jan 2017, 05:57 pm »

They entered the market at $5k for a unit that would clean one LP. Right now you can buy a ultra sonic bath and a DIY style rotation unit that does 3-4 LPs at a time for $600. If you have an old vacuum machine for drying, even better.

Buying everything brand new, you are still in for under $1K.

undertowogt1

« Reply #156 on: 20 Jan 2017, 07:03 pm »
They entered the market at $5k for a unit that would clean one LP. Right now you can buy a ultra sonic bath and a DIY style rotation unit that does 3-4 LPs at a time for $600. If you have an old vacuum machine for drying, even better.

Buying everything brand new, you are still in for under $1K.

I think my DIY Ultra Sonic was just over 300 bucks all in. That's including the Ultra Sonic bath, parts for my automatic Spinner. Other than that just some much needed time alone in the workroom, listening to tunes working on the design and building it. I can do at least 2 LPs when cleaning, I have not tried 3 yet.

Sonny

« Reply #157 on: 20 Jan 2017, 07:08 pm »
Mike add me to the list as well!

Tuan

Sonny

« Reply #158 on: 20 Jan 2017, 07:09 pm »
Mike, add me to the list as well...

Unless you have a Kit listing for us to purchase and assemble!

Thanks
Tuan

S Clark

« Reply #159 on: 20 Jan 2017, 07:10 pm »
I built mine for about $150.  Most vacuum units cost more than that- and vacuum units are worth the money... if reducing tics and pops is a high priority for you.  Like most questions regarding cost, it depends on how much of your life you have to sell to put back $100.