Big Value streamer Transport alert!

Kw6

Big Value streamer Transport alert!
« on: 5 Feb 2023, 11:39 pm »
I hate to spam but I have to give props to those companies who deserve it. The iFi Zen stream possesses magic. I read all those stories of reliability issues and so forth. Knock on wood but my two Zen's have been behaving good! Just an absolute giant killer. I would like to put out a challenge to Aurrender, Auriclic, Innous & Lumin users to try Zen to see if it better your transport. Btw I only use Spotify and Tidal connect no high res or roon yet! Thanks for your time!😊

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Big Value streamer Transport alert!
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2023, 11:50 pm »
Thanks for the recommendation.

I hate to nitpick, but labeling it a transport is misleading. [There’s no mention of its being a transport on the iFi website.] Unless I’m mistaken, a CD player without an included DAC is a transport. The iFi model is a streaming device.

Kw6

« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2023, 01:10 am »
Yes you are correct it's a streaming bridge! I just heard and read others calling it a transport as no DAC onboard like a Bluesound Node.

Kw6

« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2023, 01:13 am »
Also please try it with your Swix DAC you will love it! If not you can always return it. I had my second Zen powered up overnight and 2 hrs later the magic began!

newzooreview

« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2023, 02:06 am »
The iFi Zen Stream is misleadingly advertised. It claims a Roon Exclusive mode, which strips out all the operating system processes that degrade sound when Roon is running on top of an operating system.

What iFi doesn't tell you is that the USB output to the DAC is disabled in Roon Exclusive mode.

I wrote to them, and they admitted that they are aware of the problem and have no plans to address it. I suggested that they should have updated their extensive marketing materials to clearly note that Roon Exclusive mode is coax only.

So far the Zen Stream has been reliable but of very limited utility compared to serious streamers.

mr_bill

« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2023, 03:11 am »
I love mine.

Kw6

« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2023, 06:46 am »
I love mine.

Btw I only use my digital set up for Spotify and Tidal connect. I actually don't know and haven't gotten into roon! I prefer my combo over Aurrender N200 & Berkeley Alpha dac which sounded great digital, key word being digital!

Kw6

« Reply #7 on: 6 Feb 2023, 06:47 am »
Sorry my last reply was for Newzooreview!

newzooreview

« Reply #8 on: 6 Feb 2023, 04:44 pm »
I bought it as a Roon endpoint to provide USB out since it is advertised as having a high-quality USB output with the functionality of the external iFi USB purifier built-in.

For simply Spotify, a WiiM Mini for $78 would be a good option. If there is a difference in streaming quality, Spotify is not likely to reveal it given that it's already compressed.

The WiiM Mini is here: https://www.amazon.com/WiiM-Mini-Multiroom-Preamplifier-Assistants/dp/B09HC5GRKY

cfisher835

« Reply #9 on: 6 Feb 2023, 06:30 pm »
I wanted to be able to preview Bandcamp purchases through my Yggy and so I bought a cheap toslink>coax converter on Amazon. For $18, it works great. My purchases are way better informed now than when I was having to listen to them through the speakers on my monitor. I'm sure Spotify would sound fine, too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N32C5GT?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details