ginetto61

Re: Preamp ideas?
« Reply #20 on: 1 Apr 2022, 01:26 pm »
hi this is the Topping L30 i can obtain

navi

« Reply #21 on: 2 Apr 2022, 01:04 am »
hi this is the Topping L30 i can obtain

That is a 2009 serial. they got re-called.
Anything above 2011 is better.

xieqiao

« Reply #23 on: 2 Apr 2022, 02:47 am »
I’m looking for a very inexpensive preamp to hold me over until my “real” preamp is done being built. I was going to get the Schiit SYS, but they are on back order until 5/2 (and that’s no guarantee).
I’m drawing a blank on any other brands or options that might fit the bill. I don’t need any more than 2 or 3 analog inputs.
Like I said, this is just to get me through.
Thanks in advance.

I'm currently using a second-hand Creek OBH-22 passive preamplifier while waiting for Tortuga LDR3000x.V3 Passive I ordered nearly 3 weeks ago.

NoahH

« Reply #24 on: 2 Apr 2022, 03:27 am »
I'm currently using a second-hand Creek OBH-22 passive preamplifier while waiting for Tortuga LDR3000x.V3 Passive I ordered nearly 3 weeks ago.

I had that preamp in my first year in the hobby. Seeing that thing really delights me - it was great.

MttBsh

« Reply #25 on: 2 Apr 2022, 03:58 am »
I'm currently using a second-hand Creek OBH-22 passive preamplifier while waiting for Tortuga LDR3000x.V3 Passive I ordered nearly 3 weeks ago

I have been using a Tortuga passive for the past 7 years and absolutely love it. From the moment I put it into my system it's brought a level of clarity and transparency I had never before experienced in audio. No other "preamp" I've used comes close. I will be interested to know how you feel it compares to your Creek. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.

kernelbob

« Reply #26 on: 2 Apr 2022, 03:39 pm »
Adding my vote for the Tortuga.  I'm using an earlier version, the LDRxB which is configured for balanced inputs and outputs.  The new LDR3000x series can be configured as an active or passive unit and supports single ended and/or balanced inputs as the user requests.

My Tortuga drives a biamped system feeding four monoblock power amps-- Lampizator 211 True Balanced tube amps on top and solid state amps on bass.  In direct comparisons listeners are amazed how the Tortuga is more realistic, coherent, and dynamic even against five figure preamps (active or passive).  A key design feature is that no mechanical switches (e.g. input selection), volume pots, etc. are used.

xieqiao

« Reply #27 on: 3 Apr 2022, 01:16 am »
I had that preamp in my first year in the hobby. Seeing that thing really delights me - it was great.

OBH-22 was a classic example of a potentiometer preamp at its best. A brand-new one would have come in at 500 US dollars, nearly 4 times less expensive than the Tortuga LDR3000x.V3 Passive. Actually I keep my expectations low and don’t think there will be a night and day difference, as the gap between mid-level and higher-end is often subtle.

kernelbob

« Reply #28 on: 3 Apr 2022, 02:45 am »
OBH-22 was a classic example of a potentiometer preamp at its best. A brand-new one would have come in at 500 US dollars, nearly 4 times less expensive than the Tortuga LDR3000x.V3 Passive. Actually I keep my expectations low and don’t think there will be a night and day difference, as the gap between mid-level and higher-end is often subtle.

I hope you'll update the thread once you get the Tortuga installed.  It does benefit from a week or two to fully settle in.  Don't forget to experiment with the input impedance tuning feature.  I use the Lampizator Pacific DAC which sounds best in my system with the Tortuga's input impedance set to between 95 and 97 kohm (balanced, so that's per phase).  I keep 9 steps stored in the 90 to 98 kohm range so I can fine tune the sound using the remote.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #29 on: 11 Apr 2022, 01:27 am »
Gentlemen, please be mindful that the Tortuga despite being a great bargain is way over pricing guidelines, so we don't want it to become a Tortuga fest.  But man, that is one sweet product.  The Creek would also have to be used, but the post reads like the recommendation is used. 

kernelbob

« Reply #30 on: 11 Apr 2022, 09:05 pm »

The Tortuga may well be 4 times more expensive than the OBH-22.  However my Tortuga is 4 or more times less expensive than other well regarded preamps that it clearly outperforms.  I dislike purchasing equipment that I know will only be a temporary part of my system.  In that regard, the Tortuga has earned a lasting place in my gear.

xieqiao

« Reply #31 on: 13 May 2022, 02:03 am »
I hope you'll update the thread once you get the Tortuga installed.  It does benefit from a week or two to fully settle in.  Don't forget to experiment with the input impedance tuning feature.  I use the Lampizator Pacific DAC which sounds best in my system with the Tortuga's input impedance set to between 95 and 97 kohm (balanced, so that's per phase).  I keep 9 steps stored in the 90 to 98 kohm range so I can fine tune the sound using the remote.

Unfortunately because of the pandemic-induced supply chain disruption, it has been about 2 months since I placed my order for LDR3000x.V3 High Performance Passive XLR. I’m still waiting patiently.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #32 on: 13 May 2022, 10:01 am »
Unfortunately because of the pandemic-induced supply chain disruption, it has been about 2 months since I placed my order for LDR3000x.V3 High Performance Passive XLR. I’m still waiting patiently.

If you guys want to keep talking about the Tortuga we can move the discussion over to their circle, as I noted it's way over pricing guidelines for C&C.

oskar

« Reply #33 on: 13 May 2022, 02:26 pm »
There was a lot of talk about the NOBSOUND pre a while ago here.
People were saying it's a great value.

xieqiao

« Reply #34 on: 23 Jun 2022, 12:54 pm »

Eventually I bought HoloAudio – Serene Pre-Amplifier instead of Tortuga’s passive preamp that the company decided to cancel. The Serene preamp sounds as transparent as Creek OBH-22, and somehow adds more depth perspective, refinement and sophistication to the sound, although the difference between the two is subtle.   

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #35 on: 24 Jun 2022, 10:40 am »
Tortuga is going out of business so that's why your order was cancelled.  Hopefully we can now end the discussion of massively overpriced equipment in the C&C circle.  It's been fun looking at the $2,600 preamp somebody bought instead of the $1,800 preamp, but now we (hopefully) return you to the world of $118 preamps from China.

xieqiao

« Reply #36 on: 24 Jun 2022, 03:26 pm »
Goldpoint passive preamps also look like solid value for money.  I like its no-nonsense approach to design philosophy.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #37 on: 25 Jun 2022, 12:09 pm »
Goldpoint passive preamps also look like solid value for money.  I like its no-nonsense approach to design philosophy.

They look like great bargains and I like the professional construction.  Only the SA1 meets pricing guidelines, but other models can be found used.

unfairlane

« Reply #38 on: 5 Feb 2023, 01:24 pm »

Old thread but here`s a payable killer-preamp if anyone should need one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255122499405

Sounds like "nothing", that means extremely open, sparkling dynamic high-end performance. More than enough gain for my
RIAA but also a good enough pot to play from whispering-level on my modified high-output CD-player.

Have one in my system now,
and this post here on ac is one of the reasond I decided to try it:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=170698.0

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #39 on: 18 Feb 2023, 10:14 pm »
I have no experience with it, but a link for this little tube preamp on Ali Express, came across my path the other day, and I have to admit to being tempted...