***X-LS Extravaganza***

Peter J

• Hmmmm
***X-LS Extravaganza***
« on: 4 May 2017, 12:34 am »
Seems I never stop thinking about speakers (must be some kind of sickness). I constantly have ideas rolling around in my head for designs. So rather than just think, I decided to let some of the nuttiness out...I can't help it!

I wanted to get off the beaten path some, (when didn't I, you're thinking), so this thread will detail those ideas and how they play out. My design platform is Danny's X-LS. I made four pairs to start and will see how that plays out before I build more.

First, I needed to figure out an efficient way to build a batch. One forever consideration is how to hide the seams. Butt joints are plenty strong, but unless veneering, the joints are hard to hide so I landed on rabbets. Figured I could either cover 'em up or land them in a rounded corner, where they're easier to conceal.

Off we go. Half the parts for eight

Clamping in one shot

Didn't want glue oozing all over, you'll see why. I let it get firm and remove with a special chisel when I unclamp

Jig for drivers

Can't have too many routers, right?

These things have a cross brace that's hard as hell to put in after assembly, so I fixed it

First up I'll call The Natural. While I'm not a fan of machining MDF, I wondered about a way to celebrate it...

More rabbets

Glued in Walnut strips

Once dry, cut some more

And some more strips

Trimmed 'em up

Cut some bevels

After sealer

Before shooting conversion varnish topcoat, I wanted to tone them a little. I've wondered what it would be like to put bronzing powder in wood finish, so I dumped some in the toner. Kinda like pearl in automotive paint

The effect is subtle, but it adds a little shimmer

End result after top coats, which were dull sheen...the current fashion in much cabinetry and furniture.

That's all for now, but my head's buzzing with ideas. I'll post them as I get more done.

« Last Edit: 4 May 2017, 03:13 pm by Peter J »

BK_856er

Re: ***X-LS Extravaganza***
« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2017, 02:18 am »
Looking good and keep 'em coming - can't wait to see what you come up with next 3 sets - inspirational!   :thumb:

BK

DeeJayBump

« Reply #2 on: 4 May 2017, 03:08 am »
These look phenomenal, as usual, Peter.

Thanks for sharing.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #3 on: 4 May 2017, 05:35 am »
Peter, you are really starting to spoil us shooting all those pictures and posting them all at once. I can't stand waiting for the next picture so keep on spoiling :thumb:

Thank you and they look really great!

Greg

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #4 on: 4 May 2017, 06:23 am »
Peter,

You obviously have a sick mind. I wish I were your neighbor.  :lol:

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 4 May 2017, 07:45 am »
Encore or classics?

cody69

« Reply #6 on: 4 May 2017, 02:14 pm »
Hi Peter, always a pleasure reviewing your builds and never fail to learn new tips, ideas and learnings.

Cut some bevels

What is your favorite technique for cutting these bevels -- chamfering bit on router table, or something else?

I like the walnut inlay corners and have seen you use this technique with prior builds.
Curious if you had any concerns with reduction of strength by cutting the tongues off the rabbets?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #7 on: 4 May 2017, 02:27 pm »
Encore or classics?

Tweeter hole is cut for the Encore version.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #8 on: 4 May 2017, 02:43 pm »
Looks great Peter!

So...since your'e building so many pairs, will there be any for sale or do you already have plans for them when they're done?

-Tom

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #9 on: 4 May 2017, 03:02 pm »
Hi Peter, always a pleasure reviewing your builds and never fail to learn new tips, ideas and learnings.

What is your favorite technique for cutting these bevels -- chamfering bit on router table, or something else?

I like the walnut inlay corners and have seen you use this technique with prior builds.
Curious if you had any concerns with reduction of strength by cutting the tongues off the rabbets?

Many ways to skin the bevel cat. In this case I tipped table saw blade to 45° into sacrificial fence and sliced them off. It's quick and efficient, but fence setup parallel to blade is kinda critical to minimize walnut missiles.

I don't think the structure would be compromised in the least with the rabbets cut in afterwards. If we were to subject them to destructive testing, I'd wager the glued in strips would actually enhance durability. Here's my reasoning: The rabbeted box construction adds something around 75% gluing area compared to a butt joint. Cutting the 3/8 x 3/8 inlay rabbet and you've added 3/4" of glued area and a hardwood structural element which is stronger than the MDF itself.

I'd be interested in squashing a cabinet in some force measuring device to prove the theory, but they're speaker cabinets after all and not holding up a house or being dropped from a cliff, so suffice to say, it's plenty strong either way. I dare say we could park a small car on them, but then one would have to ask "why?". It does pique my curiosity, but then lots of things do...

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #10 on: 4 May 2017, 03:08 pm »
Looks great Peter!

So...since your'e building so many pairs, will there be any for sale or do you already have plans for them when they're done?

-Tom

That's he nutty part, Tom. I have no need for more speakers other than my compulsion. I may try to foist a pair off on our grandson for a house warming gift, but other than that no plans to even build them out. PM me if interested.

Captainhemo

« Reply #11 on: 4 May 2017, 04:22 pm »
Great stuff as always Peter   :thumb:
Most of the baffles we've been doing for various projects  use rabbets as well,  I really  like them. Not only do they add  the extra glue area,  with the wedge" shaped speakers they  really can aid in asembly.

Love the glued in  strips  with  finished edges, I've seen you do similar in the past  with  various projects and  have been meaning to do something along the same line at some point, just hasn't happened yet  :(

Cool idea using the bronzing  powder too,  it looks great

jay

hdspeakerman

« Reply #12 on: 4 May 2017, 04:38 pm »
Peter,
I don't know what caused it but I have the same illness as you. 
Are you close to St. Louis?

ebag4

« Reply #13 on: 4 May 2017, 05:17 pm »
Cool project Peter!  I too suffer from the speaker building bug.  My son will be taking my V1s in the next few months, of course that will leave a void to fill with another speaker! :duh:

Best,
Ed

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #14 on: 4 May 2017, 05:48 pm »
Peter,
I don't know what caused it but I have the same illness as you. 
Are you close to St. Louis?

Hmmm, I'm in Idaho which rules out some regional malady, eh? Seems somewhat rare but widespread geographically. Could be a deviant DNA thing. I wonder if it would show up in an Ancestry.com evaluation?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #15 on: 18 May 2017, 10:03 pm »
While doing the X-Oticas, the primer I was using got me to thinkin' about doing a hot-rod black speaker which sorta led to this:

Meet the Hot Rods

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 18 May 2017, 10:13 pm »
Those are seriously cool. Where did you get the decals?

Mike

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #17 on: 18 May 2017, 10:32 pm »
Those are seriously cool. Where did you get the decals?

Mike

Well Mike, I just whipped out my sword brushes and went to it!

Maybe not...

This place:
https://www.twistedchrome.com/

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 19 May 2017, 12:27 am »
Peter,

Thanks.

When applying decals like that, at what point in topcoating do you put them on?

Mike

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #19 on: 19 May 2017, 02:28 am »
Finishing schedule went like this, mostly ML Campbell stuff:

1. prime with black Clawlock
2. sand and fill imperfections
3. Clawlock, sand, Clawlock, sand
4. two wet coats conversion varnish (Kyrstal, dull sheen)
5. Sand flat
6. Krystal, sand, Krystal
7. After curing for 3 days I hit it with a DA sander and grey Scotchbrite.
8. Wiped with denatured alcohol and applied decals

They say you can spray over the decals on the Twisted Chrome site, but I didn't. If I were to clear over I think it'd be best to apply decals prior to last coats, but I'd experiment first. Trying to keep things simple on this one. FWIW, traditional painted pin striping is applied on top of final paint.