Cheap and Cheerful Diskless system

ttan98

Cheap and Cheerful Diskless system
« on: 19 May 2019, 05:36 am »
Cheap and Cheerful Diskless System

I thought I like to share my audio system setup that comprises Cheap and Cheerful hardware that sounds quite good. I have NO affiliation with any of the companies and the products they manufactured.

Fanless Computer:
Hardware: A Celeron based fanless CPU, you can buy it from Aliexpress or from Hystou computers, all of which are designed and manufactured in China. You can buy a higher powered processor based on  i7 CPU from them as well. My fanless is powered from a linear 12V regulator.

Software: Daphile, Squeezebox compatible product you get it for free downloadable online. It is a headless software where you can access the Daphile from a remote site via any Browser. This software can run popular third-party software like Spotify and Youtube.
Accessories: You can attach many USB accessories such as CDROM, external SSD Harddrive, XMOS USB to SPDIF adapter, etc

Highlights:
Avoid using Switching power supplies; most of them don't sound good because they introduce high frequencies noise.
Power Supply
a. Linear Regulator 12V supply to the Fanless Processor
b. Battery 5V power supply yo to the XMOS USB to SPIDIF adapter.
XMOS adapter
a. Older type based on the Breeze brand design,  based on  U8 chipset.
b. Current adapter based on the U208 chipset you can get from Ebay or Aliexpress, using 0.1ppm crystal. This adapter is very good and quite cheap sometimes sold as Sky Song product. It can either be powered via the USB or external P/S,  I use a 5Vdc battery.
DIY DAC
It is a DIY DAC based on the popular ES9028 chipset powered from dual external transformers, and the cheap output opamps are replaced with Burson discrete transistors.

There is more info I can provide here, but it is better if you have any questions, I will try to answer them. See attached photo. Cheers.

ramsubr

Re: Cheap and Cheerful Diskless system
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2019, 11:29 am »
Could you give more details about the 12v  PS and system hosting Daphile? Thanks

ttan98

Re: Cheap and Cheerful Diskless system
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2019, 01:36 am »
Could you give more details about the 12v  PS and system hosting Daphile? Thanks
12V Fanless PC- Hystou:https://www.hystou.com/index.php?route=common/home
They have many different models based on the processors you required.
Daphile software: https://www.daphile.com/, free download and go to DIYaudio for limited FREE support.