fuses

genjamon

fuses
« on: 17 May 2019, 03:25 am »
I have a Kismet stereo amp in a Khartago case, and the board uses four fuses, making experiments with audiophile fuses a pretty expensive proposition.  I have enjoyed benefits from fuse changes in other equipment, though, and recently heard a friend's Kismet in the same chassis - pretty much the same exact configuration - and with Synergistic Research Black fuses.  I caught the bug from hearing that amp, although his had been recently re-biased, so there could be some of the sonic difference from that too. 

Anyway, I ordered some cheap Schurter ceramic fuses and swapped them for the stock fuses in my Kismet and heard a small but noticeable and pleasant increase in transparency and holography. 

I'm curious who else on here has played with fuses in their Odyssey amps - and Kismet especially.  Any suggestions for best bargain in fuse upgrades?  I'm not anxious to spend $600 on four Synergistic Research Blue fuses, and likely never could justify it to myself.  Much less $1000 on four Audio Magic Ultimate Beeswax fuses, of which I have a single one in my class D amp and found it to really help there.

Any suggestions?

A_shah

Re: fuses
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2019, 06:40 am »
Ebay , has some very good german made fuses AHP and Padis and  hi fi tuning , I used ahp fuses in my Kismet amp but the kismet I have has a 850 transformer & 32 K caps from Symphonic line , unfortunately I have not used that high current amp any more since I sold my mangnepan 1.7i
yep spent a chunk of money on AM fuse for my mono blocks and PS audio Directstrem DAC to me they were worh it for what paid for them thanks to a new found friend on AC !
try the ahp's they are good and do not cost an arm and a leg  :thumb:

Asghar
I am about to sell my 2 year old kismet just have not had the heart to put it on flea bay or AC , I do think it needs a new home though !

genjamon

« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2019, 05:51 pm »
Thanks, Asghar.  I looked into the AHP and Padis fuses.  The Padis seemed to get better reviews from what I found, but I'm having trouble finding them in  6.3A 5X20 size on Ebay.  I did order one for my Don Sachs preamp to try, though.  I have a Hifi Tuning Gold fuse in there right now.   

No one else has any fuse thoughts for Odyssey amps?  Suggestions, or even just results from your own experimenting, would be interesting to hear!

ketcham

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2019, 06:37 pm »
Check out Alan Maher Design - now makes fuses and he has a cult following.  I have not tried the myself but price is reasonable since there is no middle dealer to contend with.  Google him or look in facebook.

A_shah

« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2019, 06:27 am »
Thanks, Asghar.  I looked into the AHP and Padis fuses.  The Padis seemed to get better reviews from what I found, but I'm having trouble finding them in  6.3A 5X20 size on Ebay.  I did order one for my Don Sachs preamp to try, though.  I have a Hifi Tuning Gold fuse in there right now.   

No one else has any fuse thoughts for Odyssey amps?  Suggestions, or even just results from your own experimenting, would be interesting to hear!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-3A-250V-AHP-Sicherung-5x20mm-vergoldet-Feinsicherung-Trage-slow-blow-fuse-/180852195833?hash=item2a1ba181f9

Here is the link for 6.3amp ahp fuses 5x20 on ebay

Asghar