LSAF 2011 Photo Thread

rjbond3rd

LSAF 2011 Photo Thread
« on: 14 May 2011, 02:16 am »
Please post your photos.  And if you're near Dallas this weekend, don't forget to attend.

http://www.lonestaraudiofest.com

rjbond3rd

Re: LSAF 2011 Photo Thread
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2011, 03:22 am »

Raven Audio (main room).

rjbond3rd

« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2011, 03:23 am »

Audio Kinesis room.  Very clear, plenty of bass.

rjbond3rd

« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2011, 03:24 am »

Kim's hand-crafted planar speakers.  Clear and open-sounding as you would expect.

rjbond3rd

« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2011, 03:25 am »

Oddwatt makes really interesting tube and solid state amp kits.

rjbond3rd

« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2011, 03:27 am »

Pi Speakers' Wayne Parham.  Source was Blu-ray.  Subs were subtle with no boom. Wayne said he mainly was using them to even out the room modes.  Really deep and wide soundstage.

rjbond3rd

« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2011, 03:28 am »

Uriah Dailey (udailey) had a fascinating room.  Sub gave a solid foundation, Audio Nirvana Super 12's sound completely different from what you might expect.  The cabinet did not vibrate at all (very solid thanks to shelf bracing).  Made me want to get a pair.

rjbond3rd

« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2011, 03:33 am »

Mind-blowing.  Yes, a pair of cellos retro-fitted with 8" Fostex with custom cone mods.  The creator also mods other (any) gear and builds tube amps.

I have to give this the "most innovative" award.  It just sounded great to me, nothing like I expected at all.  Don't debate, just listen to these if you can.

The creator's web site is http://www.audibleimprovements.com

rjbond3rd

« Reply #8 on: 15 May 2011, 03:37 am »

These rebuilt (possibly re-engineered?) Quad ESL's sounded spectacular when I heard them.  Perfectly blended subs.  I believe the amp was a vintage Yamaha.  This room sounded so musical that it left me nearly speechless.  I could not believe my ears.

The gentleman's website: http://www.innerurban.com

rjbond3rd

« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2011, 03:42 am »

Polk Audio had a very surprising room.  I expected more of a home theater sound but I was surprised by the rock-solid soundstage.  Definitely credible for certain kinds of music. Not the most "subtle" in the hifi sense but sturdy and capable.  The power amps are modular (you add cards or modules to get more watts).  The gentleman running the room also runs the Polk forum.  He gave me a t-shirt (thank you again!)

rjbond3rd

« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2011, 03:51 am »

The YG Acoustics Carmel (I think) at $18k.  Actually, it's the only YG I have enjoyed and this was my third time hearing it.  And it's not bad.  The aluminum cabinet gave off just subtle vibrations (not absolutely dead but deader than wood).  The image was rock-solid as you would expect.  The gentleman running the room was very gracious and smart.

Quibble (since they were the show's most expensive): I thought I was hearing compression during one of the Jack Johnson tracks.  Source was computer, the Luxman amp had tons of headroom so I was left wondering if the speakers were just barely starting to strain.  But still, this room sounded good.

rjbond3rd

« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2011, 03:54 am »

I'm sorry I did not catch the vendor's name but it was a killer vinyl setup and really nice amps.  The Vandersteens I've heard twice previously and they are good.

rjbond3rd

« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2011, 03:56 am »

Brines Acoustics, Bob Brines.  The smaller speakers are very muscular and room-filling.  The larger speakers had a different, perhaps more traditional single-driver sound which I loved.

Bob's room always sounds excellent because he uses a computer front-end and EQ's to perfection.  Customers can get these set up for non-computer systems of course.

rjbond3rd

« Reply #13 on: 15 May 2011, 03:59 am »

Manzanita brought this fantastic OB (and two others).  It's hard to believe the deep bass and clear sound these produced.  The proprietor is friendly and extremely knowledgeable about speaker design and freely shares his expertise and the rationale of each of his designs.

rjbond3rd

« Reply #14 on: 15 May 2011, 04:05 am »

Econowaves (Google 'em).  Fantastic bang for the buck.  The gentleman running the room modded the crossover to bring the treble a db down from flat, and will post his crossover and parts list on another forum.  Stevie Ray Vaughn sounded perfect.  Retro looks but a very modern, room-fillng sound.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #15 on: 15 May 2011, 04:09 am »
Post #11 looks like Von Schweikert Audio speakers.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #16 on: 15 May 2011, 04:34 am »
Post #11 looks like Von Schweikert Audio speakers.

It's the Unifield Model 3.

Blooze

« Reply #17 on: 15 May 2011, 04:51 am »
Here's a link to all the pics I took this year.  Too many, too big to post on the forum.  If you roll over the pic it will give you options to see them in different sizes.  Enjoy!!!!

LSAF 2011 Pics

rjbond3rd

« Reply #18 on: 15 May 2011, 05:26 am »
Blooze / Shane, those photos are outstanding.

Blooze

« Reply #19 on: 15 May 2011, 05:30 am »

I'm sorry I did not catch the vendor's name but it was a killer vinyl setup and really nice amps.  The Vandersteens I've heard twice previously and they are good.

Completely missed this room in a day and half there.  Where the heck was it?

And this one!!!!  Did they have any signs up or anything?  I feel bad not getting any pics of their rooms and the fact I didn't get to listen  :duh:

These rebuilt (possibly re-engineered?) Quad ESL's sounded spectacular when I heard them.  Perfectly blended subs.  I believe the amp was a vintage Yamaha.  This room sounded so musical that it left me nearly speechless.  I could not believe my ears.

The gentleman's website: http://www.innerurban.com