Wedgie Crossover Help + Opinions

DeeJayBump

Wedgie Crossover Help + Opinions
« on: 17 Jan 2020, 04:26 am »
I'm in the process of completing the crossover for my first GR Research build, a pair of Wedgies.

I've assembled part of the crossover [the Tweeter Positive leg] and at this point, I'm not entirely certain where to tie the large copper inductor [on the far right] to the positive leg. Where would be the best place to do that considering my layout and progress to this point?

Also, does my layout and progress to this point look correct?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

-Scott

mkane

Re: Wedgie Crossover Help + Opinions
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2020, 02:48 pm »
run that leg to the big Sonicap

DeeJayBump

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2020, 06:30 pm »
Okay, with help from captainhemo I've completed the 1st Wedgie crossover. It became clear that I might run out of the included hook-up wire before completing the 2nd crossover + wedgie wire-up. How can I build the 2nd x-over [and future builds] more efficiently so I don't run out of hook-up wire?

If there are any issues or errors in this 1st one, please let me know, thanks. Also, this is my 1st crossover build, so it may not be pretty, but I definitely learned some things that will make finishing the other one easier, and hopefully better looking.

-Scott

EDIT: Doh! Looks like I soldered the large copper inductor backwards. Forgot the inner foil should be the input side and the outer one the output side. Fixing that now.

DeeJayBump

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2020, 06:56 pm »
Fixed the large copper inductor. If anyone sees any issues, let me know. And tips on how to use the included hook-up wire more efficiently are always welcome. Thanks.

-Scott

mkane

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2020, 08:08 pm »
 Practice makes perfect. I cut the legs off the foil inductor's a bit shorter

DeeJayBump

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2020, 08:19 pm »
Yep, I would have cut the inductor foils shorter like Danny shows in the Crossover 101 Thread, but that was an effort to conserve the hook-up wire once I realized I may run out before completing both Wedgies. I've already used some extra occ copper [the smaller red wire] wire I had in this 1st crossover to make a few connections.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2020, 09:54 pm »
Okay, with help from captainhemo I've completed the 1st Wedgie crossover. It became clear that I might run out of the included hook-up wire before completing the 2nd crossover + wedgie wire-up. How can I build the 2nd x-over [and future builds] more efficiently so I don't run out of hook-up wire?

If there are any issues or errors in this 1st one, please let me know, thanks. Also, this is my 1st crossover build, so it may not be pretty, but I definitely learned some things that will make finishing the other one easier, and hopefully better looking.

-Scott

EDIT: Doh! Looks like I soldered the large copper inductor backwards. Forgot the inner foil should be the input side and the outer one the output side. Fixing that now.

I'm not very concise either. I always run out of hook-up wire. I just order extra from Danny.