DAC10

What Me

DAC10
« on: 9 Oct 2019, 08:35 pm »
Hi to All,

I have just joined the Nuprime club by purchasing the DAC10 from McCleans Hi-Fi in Sydney.

I was looking to move into the external DAC regime by adding one to my Bluesound Node 2 and Oppo 105D. I had trialled some cheap cheaper older DAC's through the second hand market and could hear the sonic benefits but wasnt really blown away and removed them as the gain wasnt worth the extra clutter in my cabinet. Wife not happy with cables.
I had upgraded the Oppo with a Linear power supply and cables and whilst better, it wasnt significant.

So i had numerous discussions with Bill and ended up taking home a Nuprime DAC10.

Wow.
What a difference in everything that mattered over the built in DAC's!! The music was deep, relaxed with great timing and smooth with depth.

I initially played the DAC10 into my BAT preamp and then decided to try the DAC10 as the pre by going direct into the power amp, a Halcro MC30. That definitely improved the detai in the music, but was lacking the depth and soundstage i was used to. a sideways step by gaining something and losing something else. I then ran the DAC10 into the BAT again and then ran the BAT at full power and used the DAC10 to control the volume as a preamp running into a preamp.
And thats when i gained it all. I now had the full detail of the DAC10 and the depth that a preamp brought to the music.

I am very happy and the unit is now running in with the Isotek tuning disc.

Thanks for reading and any tips on setup would be appreciated.

rustydoglim

Re: DAC10
« Reply #1 on: 11 Oct 2019, 07:04 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.  Trust us to do everything right :).  Unless customers need multiple analog inputs, the DAC-10 built-in preamp is very good. The headphone amp is even more amazing. You can further optimize your DAC and amp's matching by adjusting the 2 levels of gain settings.

What Me

« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2019, 05:56 am »
Hi rustydoglim,

Running into the BAT I was wondering what you would recommend.

Appreciated.

Mystic Dragon

« Reply #3 on: 4 Nov 2019, 09:19 am »
I just bought the ST-10 power amplifier from McLeans in Australia only a few days ago. I connected it to my Focal Aria 936 speakers today and listen to it for the first time. I am very happy with the sonic quality of this amplifier.
At the moment, I am connecting my old Chord Hugo to the ST-10 but I need to bring it back to my desktop to drive my Sennheiser HD800 headphones.
I have been thinking about getting a DAC-10 and connect it to the ST-10. However, I want a new DAC that will uplift the performance of my stereo system to another level.
Will the flagship Evolution DAC bring a significant jump in performance given the type of mid-end equipment that I have today?

rustydoglim

« Reply #4 on: 4 Nov 2019, 11:26 am »
At the moment, I am connecting my old Chord Hugo to the ST-10 but I need to bring it back to my desktop to drive my Sennheiser HD800 headphones
I have been thinking about getting a DAC-10 and connect it to the ST-10. However, I want a new DAC that will uplift the performance of my stereo system to another level.
Will the flagship Evolution DAC bring a significant jump in performance given the type of mid-end equipment that I have today?

If you just want a very good DAC and headphone amp for HD800, go with DAC-10H.  The headphone amp alone can compete with the best (reviewer privately told me it performs just as good as his standalone $3000 headphone amp).
The soon to be release AMG series has a headphone amp, but it is standalone. You will have to get the DAC also. Together they will cost at least 2X the price of DAC-10H.

The 10 series are more integrated whereas the AMG series are designed as for people who wants to optimise every details.