Measurements Please?

audioferret

Measurements Please?
« on: 13 Mar 2006, 11:40 pm »
Can MAD post the dimensions and weight of each of their products on their web page?  I am trying to see if the Magic 5 will fit where I want a preamp to go.  

Does anyone have the dimensions of the Magic 5 or Octal 6?  Are they the same product or are they significantly different?

-AF

Dave G

Measurements Please?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2006, 11:51 pm »
AF,

You might want to PM Dr. Peppard about this.  I think you'll probably get a quicker response that way.  I PM'd him with similar questions about the Line 2A and power supply dimensions and got a quick response.

Dave

audioferret

Measurements Please?
« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2006, 04:30 am »
Quote from: Dave G
AF,

You might want to PM Dr. Peppard about this.  I think you'll probably get a quicker response that way.  I PM'd him with similar questions about the Line 2A and power supply dimensions and got a quick response.

Dave

I e-mailed him, thanks!  Did you get the Line 2A?

Dave G

Measurements Please?
« Reply #3 on: 14 Mar 2006, 02:19 pm »
No, I don't have a Line 2A.  I've been sitting on the darn fence about getting a Line 2A or some other tube preamp for months now.  My Squeezebox > Red Wine Audio Clari-T > Bob Brines FT-1600 system doesn't require a preamp.  But others have reported good results from inserting tube preamps before "digital" amps (not sure if "digital" is the right word), so I'm intrigued.  What's the rest of your system?

Dave

audioferret

System
« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2006, 06:29 pm »
I am using an Perpetual Technologies P-Stack out of my personally modded Onix XCD-88 player.  I am building a pair of 100W monoblocks using the UCD-180 modules and would like to build a tube preamp to mix everything together.  For speakers, I just built a pair of RawAcoustics HT-3 three-way floorstanders.  

The Magic 5 really intrigues me as it will allow for a passive route as well as two types of tubed routes.  Tube rolling paradise! :)

-AF

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Measurements Please?
« Reply #5 on: 25 Mar 2006, 11:58 am »
Dave G,

I have a similar setup: RWA modded SB3, Channel Island VMB-1 monoblocks, and Bob Brines FTA-2000; and have been considering adding a tube buffer/pre-amp as well.  (Don't need/want extra complication or gain from a pre-amp.)  However the winter heating bills (and the bigger need for room treatments in my new digs) are keeping me from pulling the trigger.  Have also been looking into 5687 based stuff as having more speed and detail than the 6SN7/12SN7 tubes and have read that the 5687 works best in a SRPP circuit.  But I'm not sure who builds such a little beast.

audioferret

Magic 5 Dimensions
« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2006, 04:46 pm »
For anyone who wanted to know:

"overall dimensions are 9" wide x 13" deep x 5" high. Shipping weight is around 9 lb."

Magic 5 and 6 have the same dimensions.  I will probably order this kit in August.  Stay Tuned!