I wanted to hate the Amadeus

schw06

I wanted to hate the Amadeus
« on: 12 May 2011, 10:08 pm »
In the search for a turntable I was introduced to the Amadeus while comparing Clearaudio, VPI, and Rega tables. When I looked at the table it reminded me of the audio friend everyone has that will try any tweak he can get his hands on. With a golf ball on the tonearm and what appears to be fishing wire as a turntable belt I was instantly turned off. Although looks are ultimately trivial, there still is pride in ownership of equipment based on it's aesthetics. With that in mind, when the music started playing from it I was immediately immersed. I continued to struggle to convince myself that buying a turntable with a golfball, fishing string, squash balls as feet and no cuing mechanism was a horrendous idea and looked for ways to tear apart it's performance. I couldn't! It is one of only a handful of products I have ever had an instantaneous emotional connection with. I left the store having placed my order (at full price which is usually fraught with pangs of regret) with great anticipation about owning a turntable that seems to be made from a sporting goods store! Can't wait!

doak

Re: I wanted to hate the Amadeus
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2011, 01:09 am »
You won't regret the choice.

3 months into ownership/use and I'm consistently amazed at what the WTA does ---- makes beautiful music.

Plus, IMO it too is beautiful.   :inlove:

Doak

Stercom

« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2011, 01:36 am »
Don't worry -  you made a great choice!

threadkiller

« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2011, 05:14 am »
Great post!  thanks for that. 
Actually, the belt isn't fishing string, it's even better--it's thread!
You pretty much nailed the most common complaints about the table.
The golf ball, from my eyes, and I'm a very visual person, just doesn't register when I go to cue a record...I can't wait to hear the music I know is coming.  And I have taken the fingerlift off (sounds better), and can actually hit a track dead on, much to my surprise. It actually seems like I have more control over the arm.  Plus, there's nothing to wear out cept the belt, which is quite easy to replace once you get the hang of it.
but most importantly, you discovered the music that it makes....and you'll be playing lots of it once you get your table, and probably buying more records!

TerryO

« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2011, 06:45 am »
In the search for a turntable I was introduced to the Amadeus while comparing Clearaudio, VPI, and Rega tables. When I looked at the table it reminded me of the audio friend everyone has that will try any tweak he can get his hands on. With a golf ball on the tonearm and what appears to be fishing wire as a turntable belt I was instantly turned off. Although looks are ultimately trivial, there still is pride in ownership of equipment based on it's aesthetics. With that in mind, when the music started playing from it I was immediately immersed. I continued to struggle to convince myself that buying a turntable with a golfball, fishing string, squash balls as feet and no cuing mechanism was a horrendous idea and looked for ways to tear apart it's performance. I couldn't! It is one of only a handful of products I have ever had an instantaneous emotional connection with. I left the store having placed my order (at full price which is usually fraught with pangs of regret) with great anticipation about owning a turntable that seems to be made from a sporting goods store! Can't wait!

I have the "Amadeus" prototype built by Mr. Firebaugh himself. If you think that the "commercial" version looks a bit "Unusual", I can tell you that they don't hold a candle to the "homebuilt prototype." I'm using it with a Grado Silver and it just "smokes" the Lynns and Regas.
Goofy looks perhaps, great sound ...without a doubt!

Best Regards,
TerryO