Simplex review now online

AshK

Simplex review now online
« on: 13 Sep 2010, 02:16 am »
Hi all

Just loaded my Simplex review:
http://www.witchdoctor.co.nz/index.php/2010/09/well-tempered-lab-simplex-turntable-review/

I will be keeping the sample or buying an Amadeus. As much as I appreciate the many virtues of my modified Technics 1210 direct drive, there's no way to ignore just how good the WTL decks are.

Ash

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Simplex review now online
« Reply #1 on: 13 Sep 2010, 11:31 pm »
Nice review - I've been checking every day for it!
Did you find there to be much of a difference between the Simplex and the Amadeus? 
This might be a stretch but has anyone compared the new WTL turntables to the older models? 

AshK

« Reply #2 on: 14 Sep 2010, 05:58 am »
Thanks Steve

That's a good question, one I'm wrestling with at the moment. Do I buy a Simplex or go up to the Amadeus? Is there in fact any "up" (sonically speaking) to a move to an Amadeus?

It's been ages since I heard an Amadeus and when I did, it was in a very sweet system with a DV XX2 cartridge, so it's tough to compare without having them set up in an identical system. There's probably an edge in the Amadeus' favour but it would have to be pretty slight and the Simplex sure does have an ease to it that makes it very attractive.

There have been a couple of moments with the Simplex where I've thought "it just can't get any better than this" - of course it can, I've heard some very high end TTs over the years but for the price, I can't see what could touch it.

Buy a Simplex and spend the difference on a cartridge seems to be a possible solution...

Ash

threadkiller

« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2010, 06:37 pm »
Thanks, Ash...

and Steve, the newer tables are heads above the older models. There's many posts out there about that.  Haven't had a direct showdown with the simplex and amadeus yet. The simplex is a marvelous lil thing to behold and use, much like the amadeus. Could be tradeoffs, the longer arm of the amadeus, the direct coupling to the golf ball with the simplex.  The amadeus feet protrude and raises it up, the simplex's are recessed and the table lays flatter, and, it has a smaller platter like the WTDynavector. 
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so they say.