Puritan Audio Laboratories PSM 136

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: Puritan Audio Laboratories PSM 136
« Reply #40 on: 17 Dec 2020, 03:52 pm »
@ sfox7076

The supplemental grounding rod IS NOT bonded or connected to your house panel grounding scheme in any way, its main purpose is to be used with the Ground Master Device that will take care of any faults if that were to happen to your audio system. You can review Puritan youtube video on this device.
Wig
This is a vary dangerous idea!
Never ever add an independent ground rod system.

debjit.g

« Reply #41 on: 17 Dec 2020, 10:33 pm »
This is a vary dangerous idea!
Never ever add an independent ground rod system.

I believe this is exactly what Ground Master is trying to solve....

debjit.g

« Reply #42 on: 17 Dec 2020, 10:35 pm »
I'm no expert, but at a practical level I don't think you'd find a homeowner's policy that requires everything (non-fixed) you plug into your home's outlets must be approved by a NRTL such a UL, CSA, etc.. Grounding and bonding are a different matter, as it is part of the building's permanent (fixed) power infrastructure which is governed by local building codes (usually based on NEC, not UL which is an approval agency) and inspected as such. A building inspector will ask you to show them that the rods are all bonded together, and will inspect ground and neutral bonding in the main panel and service entrance. Explaining a "stray" un-bonded ground rod with a separate wire going into the building, that supposedly makes your hifi sound better, just might not be a very straight forward conversation.

nicely explained. so basically "use it at your own risk"  :)

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #43 on: 18 Dec 2020, 01:39 pm »
Is the PSM136/156 UL approved? 

TomS

« Reply #44 on: 18 Dec 2020, 02:53 pm »
Is the PSM136/156 UL approved?
CE Marked

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #45 on: 18 Dec 2020, 03:53 pm »

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #46 on: 18 Dec 2020, 04:37 pm »
a 'CE' mark is not a substitute for a 'UL' or other safety agency mark.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #47 on: 18 Dec 2020, 05:37 pm »
I'm aware

TomS

« Reply #48 on: 18 Dec 2020, 06:38 pm »
Never said it did. I worked with both UL and CE compliance for years, so understand what both do well enough. Please find another thread to go debate it ad nauseam if you wish.

AndrewA

« Reply #49 on: 18 Dec 2020, 10:34 pm »
This leaflet explicitly recognizes the dangers but claims that the Ground Master avoids or overcomes them.
http://www.puritanaudiolabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Ground-Master-PDF.pdf

Heckler75

« Reply #50 on: 20 Dec 2020, 02:59 am »
Great info and had a few questions about the 156.

Ok to plug in bigger amp  like a Krell KSA-300 and rest of my gear (pre,CD,streamer)

or best plug Krell KSA-300 into wall and rest into 156?  (Tried PC’s in the past and did not work well with KSA-300)

any retailers offer in home trails?  worried about using with my Krell

Thanks

Wig

« Reply #51 on: 20 Dec 2020, 06:20 am »

Ok to plug in bigger amp  like a Krell KSA-300 and rest of my gear (pre,CD,streamer)

or best plug Krell KSA-300 into wall and rest into 156?  (Tried PC’s in the past and did not work well with KSA-300)

Thanks

I ran my Coda Class A 18 Watt which has a 3000 VA transformer though my 136 with no issues.

Wig

TomS

« Reply #52 on: 20 Dec 2020, 01:04 pm »

Thanks
You might try Audio Archon or Precision AV in Chicago, both dealers.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #53 on: 20 Dec 2020, 04:34 pm »
Brian Tucker
Pro Audio Ltd.

proaudio@comcast.net

I will try to finish my install today but will not fire it up right away. Things are torn apart in my room. Quite a mess.

Heckler75

« Reply #54 on: 20 Dec 2020, 05:25 pm »
I ran my Coda Class A 18 Watt which has a 3000 VA transformer though my 136 with no issues.

Wig

Wig,

Thanks for info, but the Krell KSA-300S amp is big and draws current, my concern is losing dynamics. I’ve tried others in the past and that seemed to be their weakness of losing dynamics with the amp plugged in.

So the Puritan 156 is  not  a current limiting design and no worries about plugging the whole system in to the 156?

Thanks

Wig

« Reply #55 on: 20 Dec 2020, 08:53 pm »
Wig,

Thanks for info, but the Krell KSA-300S amp is big and draws current, my concern is losing dynamics. I’ve tried others in the past and that seemed to be their weakness of losing dynamics with the amp plugged in.

So the Puritan 156 is  not  a current limiting design and no worries about plugging the whole system in to the 156?

Thanks

No problem for my system and I have Amp, Tube Dac,Tube Pre, TV, DVD, CD Transport and not a hint of noise, which is unbelievable...Never thought this was even possible!

Wig :thumb:

debjit.g

« Reply #56 on: 20 Dec 2020, 09:58 pm »
Anybody compared the Puritan to other brands ? I tried to find recent user reviews but looks like all talks were 3-4 yrs ago and there are hardly any talks about it now. The Shunyata Denali and Audioquest Niagara has been consistently rated very high and was wondering if anyone has any feedback comparing against the Puritan ?

AndrewA

« Reply #57 on: 20 Dec 2020, 10:28 pm »
I've had various models from Audioquest, PS Audio, Furman, Isotek, Blue Circle, and a couple of others in house, and the Puritan outstrips them all.

I would have thought the main competition would come from the Inakustik 3500 (not personally auditioned), but wig has heard both and prefers the Puritan.

debjit.g

« Reply #58 on: 20 Dec 2020, 10:38 pm »
I've had various models from Audioquest, PS Audio, Furman, Isotek, Blue Circle, and a couple of others in house, and the Puritan outstrips them all.

I would have thought the main competition would come from the Inakustik 3500 (not personally auditioned), but wig has heard both and prefers the Puritan.

Thanks. Which Audioquest and PS Audio model ?

Randy

« Reply #59 on: 20 Dec 2020, 11:18 pm »
Anybody compared the Puritan to other brands ? I tried to find recent user reviews but looks like all talks were 3-4 yrs ago and there are hardly any talks about it now. The Shunyata Denali and Audioquest Niagara has been consistently rated very high and was wondering if anyone has any feedback comparing against the Puritan ?
Well, I have a Niagara 1000, one of the latest in the long, long line of pc I've used. For me, it's basically a glorified power strip since I hear no audible improvements to my bad sonics due to bad electric power in the evening hours. Have not tried the Puritan, but since everybody here thinks it's great I may give it a try.