Should I get out of audio?

Lensman

Re: Should I get out of audio?
« Reply #60 on: 2 May 2007, 11:42 pm »
I understand what you mean too.  I do this for a living and once in a while
it does get to be a little trying, but I couldn't imagine my life without music
in it every day on a halfway decent system.

Maybe just take a "vacation"

Tone Magazine (http://www.tonepublications.com) is awesome!  I'm also a photoholic. I secretly click on the TonePhoto link.

Lensman

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #61 on: 3 May 2007, 02:33 am »
I agree w/ the comment above about listening from an adjoining room, not too seriously.  One of the best things about my move is having the 'puter room next door to the soundroom.  I put on discs, especially unlistened to discs I've had forever.  I've found some great music; also building a pile of junk CD's to trade in.   

One of Duke LeJeune's three basic recommended speaker tests is to listen from an adjoining room & check out the overal sound quality.  If the speakers have a wide, uniform response, Duke says they'll sound good one room over (a function of linear reflections).  Hey!  It sounds darn good from here!

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #62 on: 3 May 2007, 02:56 am »
One of Duke LeJeune's three basic recommended speaker tests is to listen from an adjoining room & check out the overal sound quality.  If the speakers have a wide, uniform response, Duke says they'll sound good one room over (a function of linear reflections).  Hey!  It sounds darn good from here!

the observation of this phenomenon has been around for quite some time. robert deutsch, an
audio reviewer from s'phile wrote about it back in 1993:

http://www.nolaspeakers.com/reviews/stereoph/alon4s.htm

doug s.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #63 on: 3 May 2007, 03:09 am »
I am tempted to get my meter to confirm this...a normal doorway seperates the two rooms: It seems like it might sound LOUDER in this adjacent room.  That must be impossible, right? 

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #64 on: 3 May 2007, 03:21 am »
I am tempted to get my meter to confirm this...a normal doorway seperates the two rooms: It seems like it might sound LOUDER in this adjacent room.  That must be impossible, right? 
seems impossible to me!  sound in the next room should be more bass-heavy, as the low frequency waves are less directional, & go thru walls, etc, better.  but total spl will still be lower.  maybe this is what you are hearing....

doug s.