Stranger Things, OMFG

wushuliu

Re: Stranger Things, OMFG
« Reply #40 on: 5 Aug 2016, 02:29 pm »
Her performance raises the stakes though. If she wasn't so over the top, the circumstances just wouldn't seem as dire. Part of the problem I had with the show is that it's like two different, maybe even three, genres smashed together. In terms of tone, they should have just cut her part out entirely and had it just be about the kids. Unfortunately the kids are not strong enough actors to make the stakes high enough. I never bought they were all that worked up about their friend missing, probably because you jump all over the place before coming back to them. If they had just centered around the kids, it would be a much tighter show IMO. Hopefully next season.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #41 on: 5 Aug 2016, 02:39 pm »
Fair points. Except for Eleven, the child actors' performances were more than a little strained. Of course, put a bunch of tweens in a room and it seems whoever over-emotes the most wins.  :lol:

wushuliu

« Reply #42 on: 5 Aug 2016, 02:43 pm »
Fair points. Except for Eleven, the child actors' performances were more than a little strained. Of course, put a bunch of tweens in a room and it seems whoever over-emotes the most wins.  :lol:

Eleven was good yeah. Dustin is my fave though. He's a total Spielberg kid.

Folsom

« Reply #43 on: 5 Aug 2016, 07:28 pm »
I hate movies just about kids alone, almost always, so I love how they did it.

Klavierman

« Reply #44 on: 19 Aug 2016, 01:35 am »
If the kids weren't so good, I'd turn it off due to Ryder's horrific scene-chewing!

martyo

« Reply #45 on: 8 Sep 2016, 05:32 pm »
Just watched the "kids" as guests on the Thursday, 9/8 Chelsea Handler show.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #46 on: 13 Mar 2017, 04:49 am »
Finally got some space to start watching this series.  Based on the first episode, it reminds me of Spielberg, if Spielberg wasn't an emotionally stunted and highly manipulative man-child. 

In other words, I like the series a lot, so far!

Folsom

« Reply #47 on: 13 Mar 2017, 05:13 am »
Season 2 is on the way. I won't watch any till I see some reviews. I'm too afraid of tainting one of the best things to ever come out.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #48 on: 14 Mar 2017, 07:47 pm »
Watched all of Season 1 now.  I kind of wish there wasn't a season 2, the ending of season 1 was so perfect.

Oh, and the intro theme song and title sequence is AWESOME!  It was like a mix of John Carpenter movies, Spielberg and Steven King movies all rolled into one. 

brother love

« Reply #49 on: 14 Mar 2017, 08:23 pm »
We finished Season 1 a few weeks ago. I thought it was quite good & a fun ride for what it was ... a homage to 80's horror/ Spielberg/ Goonies. I agree with some others that Winona Ryder was the weak link (although she did have a couple of powerful scenes). 

brother love

« Reply #50 on: 14 Mar 2017, 08:37 pm »
And one more thing ...

When watching Stranger Things, I kept saying saying to my wife that Eleven looks like someone we know.  Then it hit me halfway through the S1 episodes ... Elizabeth Perkins !  The resemblance was so strong that I thought it could be her daughter (she isn't).

Seems I'm not the only one who thinks this:

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #51 on: 14 Mar 2017, 09:11 pm »
I've heard several people reference that they think Stranger Things is based on a series of events called the Montauk Project. I had never heard of it and from what I read there's definitively quite a few parallels so makes me wonder if this is where they may go in season 2. I agree season 1 was great enough to stand on its own so I'll keep expectations low for the second installment.

Here's what Wiki has to say about the whole Montauk thing...I'm sure it's legit   :D

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montauk_Project

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #52 on: 14 Mar 2017, 09:20 pm »
Duplicate

WGH

« Reply #53 on: 27 Jul 2019, 09:55 pm »
I liked Season 3 of Stranger Things better than the first two. When it's too hot and humid to go outside the show is a perfect for a summer afternoon binge.

After finishing Season3 watch this video by the Duffer Brothers, the writers and directors.

Every Movie Referenced by Stranger Things

https://www.wired.com/story/stranger-things-movie-references