BDA-3 DAC

Grant Hill

Re: BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #340 on: 12 Mar 2016, 11:40 am »
I have my Oppo 105D hooked up to the BDA-3 and playing SACD. Need to check whether or not my light is amber or not (I forget).  Will be back in Texas tomorrow to check.

Hi Scirica, did you have the chance to check?

tie_breaker

« Reply #341 on: 12 Mar 2016, 03:10 pm »
My silver BDA-3 arrived just before I headed to the beach. I hooked it up, and it plays beautiful music out of the box. I have it burning in until I get home.

I just received mine as well.  Do you just leave it turned on for burning in?

scirica

« Reply #342 on: 12 Mar 2016, 04:07 pm »
Hi Scirica, did you have the chance to check?

Just checked. Not Amber. Mine is Blue (Green for most). DSD 1X.

Bones13

« Reply #343 on: 12 Mar 2016, 05:39 pm »
I just received mine as well.  Do you just leave it turned on for burning in?

Yep, turned the amp off, and left my Roon library to "play all".

I have some re-wiring of my audio system to do. The BDA-3 is much smaller than my AudioNoteKits, and I can put more things closer, and a lot less heat without those big transformers and tubes. I also need to do all the HDMI cables. (BluRay, Cable Box, APTV/Amazon Fire - to be determined - and room for a computer if I go back to a dedicated computer - using an Aries currently)

Grant Hill

« Reply #344 on: 12 Mar 2016, 07:21 pm »

Thanks

audio.bill

« Reply #345 on: 13 Mar 2016, 01:28 am »
To clarify that indicates that the BDA-3 is receiving the DSD in DoP format. If it was 'native DSD' the LED would be amber.

scirica

« Reply #346 on: 13 Mar 2016, 02:32 am »
To clarify that indicates that the BDA-3 is receiving the DSD in DoP format. If it was 'native DSD' the LED would be amber.

True statement. Was there some ambiguity? Oppo sends DoP. My local DSF files come through without the wrapper.

gdbalp

« Reply #347 on: 13 Mar 2016, 02:42 am »
Hey James,

I have received my BDA-3 and this means a lot of effort in the coming weeks to listen to the collection again.  Maybe I should wait till the SST3, but no, it is always enjoyable to listen and find something else -  Audioholic Sickness :thumb:

Just a quick question on button configuration, why is the power button on the right side?  I would say about 90% of audio equipment have their power switches on the left side, not to mention all my Bryston components....

Regards,  Luigi

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #348 on: 13 Mar 2016, 02:59 am »
Hey James,

I have received my BDA-3 and this means a lot of effort in the coming weeks to listen to the collection again.  Maybe I should wait till the SST3, but no, it is always enjoyable to listen and find something else -  Audioholic Sickness :thumb:

Just a quick question on button configuration, why is the power button on the right side?  I would say about 90% of audio equipment have their power switches on the left side, not to mention all my Bryston components....

Regards,  Luigi

It really comes down to what provides the shortest signal path and the reduction of any interference between power components and sensitive circuitry.

james

audio.bill

« Reply #349 on: 13 Mar 2016, 03:13 am »
True statement. Was there some ambiguity? Oppo sends DoP. My local DSF files come through without the wrapper.
I only clarified since I thought there might be some confusion (by others) about the various color LEDs (green, blue, amber) and their meaning.

RonCH

« Reply #350 on: 14 Mar 2016, 10:40 am »
I've just upgraded from a BDA-1 to a BDA-3.  In my system I've noticed a dramatic sound quality improvement.  I'm genuinely really surprised how much better it sounds.  I had sibilance with the BDP-1, and this is almost completely gone.  It's not just the high frequencies that you can hear a difference, the mid range and lower frequencies are also much better. Bear in mind that the BDA-1 is not a bad sounding piece of kit, but the BDA-3 makes it look inadequate.  I'm very impressed. 

Bones13

« Reply #351 on: 15 Mar 2016, 12:15 am »
Very happy with the BDA-3 so far. Wide and deep sound stage, great highs and mids and lows, and very musical. I'm sure my previous DAC needed a re-tubing, but I am not going back.

I seem to have some bad HDMI cable in my box. I was unable to get sound out of HDMI (Oppo 95) and the BDA-3 was saying I had bad HDMI cable on the IP Gui page. I have some new, short ones coming tomorrow.

Can anyone tell me their Oppo setup that does work, in case I'm doing that wrong?  I tried a DVDa and managed to get video to the TV, but never sound.

stereoclub

« Reply #352 on: 15 Mar 2016, 12:56 am »
Hi James,

Question on Jriver / Windows 8.1
In Settings - Audio - Audio Device, there is no "BDA-3 (ASIO)" item as manual picture shows, it is only "Bryston USB Audio ASIO Driver". Is this ok? When selecting Device Settings, there is no "Maximize device volume" setting, only a dropdown to choose the volume device, which I set to "BDA-3"

I am not prefering DSD, but I need to see all functions working. So far, in matters of sound, this new DAC is so special, congratulations! The sound has more detail, solidity, very convincing...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #353 on: 15 Mar 2016, 10:38 am »
Hi James,

Question on Jriver / Windows 8.1
In Settings - Audio - Audio Device, there is no "BDA-3 (ASIO)" item as manual picture shows, it is only "Bryston USB Audio ASIO Driver". Is this ok? When selecting Device Settings, there is no "Maximize device volume" setting, only a dropdown to choose the volume device, which I set to "BDA-3"

I am not prefering DSD, but I need to see all functions working. So far, in matters of sound, this new DAC is so special, congratulations! The sound has more detail, solidity, very convincing...

Hi

I agree - there is something 'right' about this new DAC - it continues to surprise me daily in my setup.

I use Windows 10 but Bryston USB should be fine,  You do not want to have the signal go through a digital volume control so set it to MAX if you have a choice.

james

Tympani

« Reply #354 on: 15 Mar 2016, 11:40 am »
Very happy with the BDA-3 so far. Wide and deep sound stage, great highs and mids and lows, and very musical. I'm sure my previous DAC needed a re-tubing, but I am not going back.

I seem to have some bad HDMI cable in my box. I was unable to get sound out of HDMI (Oppo 95) and the BDA-3 was saying I had bad HDMI cable on the IP Gui page. I have some new, short ones coming tomorrow.

Can anyone tell me their Oppo setup that does work, in case I'm doing that wrong?  I tried a DVDa and managed to get video to the TV, but never sound.

I had a similar experience with my dual-HDMI setup using my Oppo 103. I was using HDMI 1 into my Marantz AVR for movies, playing through a dedicated surround system. I used HDMI-2 to send SACD-DSD to my Bryston BDA-3, feeding my separate 2-channel system. With this setup, I was unable to get audio from my BluRay discs. I checked with Oppo customer service and was informed that when both HDMI outlets are active, HDMI-1 becomes video only. If you want to hear full Dolby/DTS audio, you must turn off the Bryston DAC, or unplug the HDMI-2. Normal function.

So I just shut down my DAC when watching movies. Works fine.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #355 on: 15 Mar 2016, 01:13 pm »
I had a similar experience with my dual-HDMI setup using my Oppo 103. I was using HDMI 1 into my Marantz AVR for movies, playing through a dedicated surround system. I used HDMI-2 to send SACD-DSD to my Bryston BDA-3, feeding my separate 2-channel system. With this setup, I was unable to get audio from my BluRay discs. I checked with Oppo customer service and was informed that when both HDMI outlets are active, HDMI-1 becomes video only. If you want to hear full Dolby/DTS audio, you must turn off the Bryston DAC, or unplug the HDMI-2. Normal function.

So I just shut down my DAC when watching movies. Works fine.

Good tip Tympani - thanks

james

scirica

« Reply #356 on: 15 Mar 2016, 06:43 pm »
I only clarified since I thought there might be some confusion (by others) about the various color LEDs (green, blue, amber) and their meaning.

Good point!

Bones13

« Reply #357 on: 15 Mar 2016, 07:54 pm »
Thanks Tympani, I am not using HDMI-2 on the Oppo. My new HDMI cables came in today, I hope to be trying them out this evening (spouse dependent).

I don't plan to use anything but stereo in my room, even with movies. Can I not tell the Oppo to just output digital stereo all the time?

I don't understand the audio settings (2 different tabs) in the Oppo menu enough to be certain of what I am doing.

Not a BDA-3 issue, just trying to figure things out. If needed, I can use the stereo out of the Oppo for movies if the dolby is not bypassable digitally.

Tympani

« Reply #358 on: 15 Mar 2016, 08:32 pm »
Bones, definitely send a detailed email to Oppo customer service. They were great, responding within a couple of hours to my initial question, and then maintaining a brisk dialog to resolve the issues. Classy outfit!

Bones13

« Reply #359 on: 16 Mar 2016, 01:22 am »
Yeah, I had HDMI-1 set to "video only". Works well now. BluRay volume is low, I need to look into that, but I have plenty of room to make it loud enough. Cable box works fine, sound is great through my 2.1 speaker setup. Started working on an AppleTV-4.

I did do a firmware do over with no problem. Music from the Aries is superb, very happy so far.