a/v system what is the ideal dedicated circuit setup

stump4545

i have a 50in plasma, 200 watt amp, tubed pre amp, mac mini, oppo player, and cable box.

right now i have (1) dedicated 15amp circuit that everything is plugged into a bpt conditioner then into the 15amp outlet.

is this ok, or do i really need at least (2) 15amp dedicated circuits for this setup "ideally"?

K Shep

Re: a/v system what is the ideal dedicated circuit setup
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2010, 05:38 am »
You shouldn't plug your audio gear into the same power conditioner as your computer.

Pick up a surge protected power strip and use it for all of you computer equipment; mini, monitor and external hard drive.

stump4545

« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2010, 01:11 pm »
why no cpu on same circuit?

plasma tv ok on same circuit ok?

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2010, 02:11 pm »
Computers produce RFI. I believe that is what he is getting at. Computers and plasma or LCD tv's all use switching power supplies- so that might be a problem for some.

Many use computers for their soul music source (AKA: lossless & MP3's, etc..) and I haven't heard many RFI complaints.

My problems have always stemmed from electric motors or electric heaters.

Nuance

« Reply #4 on: 5 Feb 2010, 06:03 am »
Provided the devices with switching power supplies are turned off, there should be no noise, right?  ie, listen without the TV or computer on. 

Edit: Although,  I suppose it depends on the device...if they are still connected via the AC mains and share an RCA connector, you still might have noise.  It also depends if it has a 'power' brick like a laptop or internal SMPS.

mjosef

« Reply #5 on: 5 Feb 2010, 06:07 am »
Ideally, you would want individual dedicated circuits for an HT and Stereo systems.
I ran my HT and Stereo on the same circuit(same outlet) for quite a few years and didn't notice any negative effects. Of course I had separate power conditioning for each system.
Last 3 years I have a dedicated line for the Stereo. HT system still shares the circuit with other lights and outlets.

If you are handy/DIY you can built a few Felix units (as shown in the Lab circle) for all your SPS components (computer, plasma TV, etc) which should isolate most RFi/ noise riding on the mains.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #6 on: 5 Feb 2010, 06:21 am »
I would recommend a 20A circuit for a home theater system. There's a lot of gear there and I know as I'm doing basically the same as you are. I'm also using a 2400 watt BPT BP-2.5 that's plugged into a UberBuss that's plugged into a 20A outlet. Myself, I have 17 power cord outlets all together and I also plug my HTPC into my BPT but I'm also using parallel filters on my HTPC power cord to deal with the RFI and my BPT duplex's are isolated from each other. I listen to my music while surfing the web and downloading music, I hear very little difference by doing all this myself. Power conditioning is my friend and my system thanks me for it.

So what size is your BPT? Whatever isn't plugged into it will be your system's weak link. I can't recommend loud enough a UberBuss parallel power conditioner in front of a BPT. My BP-2.5 is totally tweaked out yet the UberBuss showed itself in both the audio and the video in my system. The 20A circuit will allow more power thru to your system also.

That's all I've got and have done myself.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

stump4545

« Reply #7 on: 6 Feb 2010, 04:12 am »
what is an uberbus?
website?

thanks for the help

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013