Anyone see Barbie and too embarrassed to post?

Rusty Jefferson

Re: Anyone see Barbie and too embarrassed to post?
« Reply #40 on: 3 Aug 2023, 03:12 am »
...Only thing is, Lilli was based on a comic art character that was kind of a tramp....
So, like a fictional man, like say, James Bond?  Dude you could learn something from this movie. Reconsider your position on seeing it.

AllanS

« Reply #41 on: 3 Aug 2023, 03:40 am »
I saw it last night and hadn't read any reviews. A simply delightful movie, don't know what the fuss is about. It's for adults, not young children.
Agree.  In the same vein as “Book of Mormon it is, to me, an over the top portrayal of important issues and one of those movies that will have me thinking for awhile.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #42 on: 3 Aug 2023, 03:42 am »
Like all mega $ production nowadays this movie is a wash but is soft, light weight and I believe it is not offensive to the family, there are far worse things circulating freely out there, very worse, whose aim is to corrupt the morals of young children, I have never seen anyone speak a word against this immoral garbage below>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=181yX10gsPQ

dB Cooper

« Reply #43 on: 3 Aug 2023, 03:53 am »
Rusty Jefferson: I don't go to theaters much at all to see anything at all, but maybe once it's streamable....If the James Bond reference was intended to suggest gender stereotyping on my part, I'd like to clarify that all my remarks were intended to relate to the cultural climate of the times. One of the Lilli cartoons depicted her in a two-piece bikini, saying to a policeman informing her that the two-piece was impermissible on the street, "Which piece do you recommend I take off?". Hard to imagine 'wholesome' Barbie saying that, and I wondered how many parents - some of which objected to her well developed upper body- would have reacted to the history (Or to this movie!), or to the fact that Barbie was an almost exact copy of another doll, not an original doll, had they known?

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #44 on: 6 Aug 2023, 06:04 pm »
Gross ticket sales of over 1 billion dollars so far.
I guess it's a hit.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #45 on: 6 Aug 2023, 07:08 pm »
You know, the existence of companies (and streaming services) like The Criterion Collection and MUBI mean that for a true film lover, this is the best time to be alive in all of history.  The sheer amount of exceptionally high quality content now has never, ever been equaled in the past. 

To those people carping about Barbie, I'd suggest signing up for Criterion and/or MUBI and stop wasting your anger on what the general public cares about.

WGH

« Reply #46 on: 12 Sep 2023, 11:26 pm »
September 12, 2023

Your man cave will never feel the same.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #47 on: 13 Sep 2023, 04:55 pm »
Agree.  In the same vein as “Book of Mormon it is, to me, an over the top portrayal of important issues and one of those movies that will have me thinking for awhile.

And, that's a good reason to not watch it. Movies (and TV shows) should be about entertainment. I want to yell when the bad guys get blown up. I want to cheer when the superhero comes to save the day. I want my sides to hurt when the most insane pratfall happens.

I don't want my entertainment to be infected with social nor political injections. Hollywood/entertainment in general is the last group that should be trying to pass judgement on anything.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #48 on: 13 Sep 2023, 06:30 pm »
And, that's a good reason to not watch it. Movies (and TV shows) should be about entertainment. I want to yell when the bad guys get blown up. I want to cheer when the superhero comes to save the day. I want my sides to hurt when the most insane pratfall happens.

I don't want my entertainment to be infected with social nor political injections. Hollywood/entertainment in general is the last group that should be trying to pass judgement on anything.
And that's why they make all sorts of movies.  I'll watch Barbie eventually.  I have no problem with political bits and pieces. 
Personally, I want a movie to make me think if it's serious, bedazzle if it's action, and LOL at slapstick, or chuckle at wit.   

Tyson

« Reply #49 on: 13 Sep 2023, 07:47 pm »
And that's why they make all sorts of movies.  I'll watch Barbie eventually.  I have no problem with political bits and pieces. 
Personally, I want a movie to make me think if it's serious, bedazzle if it's action, and LOL at slapstick, or chuckle at wit.   

+1

wushuliu

« Reply #50 on: 3 Jan 2024, 07:40 am »
September 12, 2023

Your man cave will never feel the same.

Finally watched it in the theater room. Loved it. Surprised by all the brit cameos. Seemed like half of Sex Education was in it. I don't see how anyone would have a problem with the film unless you don't like seeing women in charge. It's smart, it's funny, the performances are uniformly strong, and it has heart.

Ken and all the horse references had me rolling.

rbbert

« Reply #51 on: 3 Jan 2024, 01:24 pm »
IMHO Barbie has none of these qualities, so you won’t really miss anything if you skip it (unless you want to discuss the movie with someone else). 

Tyson

« Reply #52 on: 3 Jan 2024, 04:06 pm »
Saw Barbie last night with my son and it was quite lovely.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #53 on: 3 Jan 2024, 09:09 pm »
Nope. Not a fan.

charles

WGH

« Reply #54 on: 3 Jan 2024, 10:15 pm »
A fun Margot Robbie double feature would be Barbie and the first Suicide Squad (2016)

Barbie and Anti-Barbie

jonbee

« Reply #55 on: 3 Jan 2024, 11:57 pm »
I saw it a couple of times with wife and adult daughter.
We all liked it. Very over the top trippy eye candy production design, forgettable music, good performances. There is a definite feminist message in it which some may not appreciate, but as a father to 4 adult women I do get it, mostly.
Margot Robbie looks and sounds like she was born a Barbie clone. She's worth watching by herself, IMO. She's reputedly earning $50,000,000 from the movie, $12M as actor and ~$40M from points as producer. She had a major hand in putting this together, selling the idea to Warner Bros., choosing the cast, director/writer, and design people. Dumb blond, she ain't.
Net, I thought it was fun to watch. I can always take or leave the politics in entertainment, as long as I'm enjoying the fare.
« Last Edit: 4 Jan 2024, 12:59 am by jonbee »

wushuliu

« Reply #56 on: 4 Jan 2024, 07:44 am »
I can always take or leave the politics in entertainment, as long as I'm enjoying the fare.

This has come up before but I don't recall any politics in the movie.